AT-6 Texan / SNJ-4C by DewFiend

Still early in the process, but here I go...

I am making an AT6 Texan/SNJ/Harvard as a two seat trainer in the Warbird category.  This will take a while but I am aiming pretty high.  I have a discord and patreon (links in the youtube video description) and I would also like to post here with updates.  I am joining the club gents.

YouTube announcement:

test6.jpg

test3.jpg

test5.jpg

Edited by DewFiend
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, VFMFlyer said:

As an avid warbird enthusiast with several hours in the AT-6 IRL, I'll be watching this project with great interest! 

nice to have you along for the ride! attached is something that is still a WIP... still working on it but this will feature in a couple of places.

30cal cooling holes.jpg

• Like 1

• DewFiend changed the title to AT-6 Texan / SNJ-4C by DewFiend
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2023 at 1:44 PM, flyingscotsman said:

Just found this, it looks great, best wishes:thumbsup:

thank you.  This is still coming together, but more is done everyday. My discord is where I post progress pic more often, if you are into that sort of thing...

https://discord.gg/DR2k7ng7NP

Today's progress, I extruded the wing sections out to the start of the ailerons and did up the bolt covers that cover the bolts attaching the wing center section to the outboard sections, I also mangled up some objects that made fairly convincing elevators. 

image.png

image.png

image.png

Edited by DewFiend
added additional pics of recent;y added bits
  • Like 10

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

sorry to not have responded in a prompt manner, I am just getting back into the swing of things after the holidays...

To answer your question, I have many different sources that include friends with access to airworthy aircraft, a library of photo reference books, a legit parts catalog from North American that dates back to the 1950's, some detailed blueprints for a Wirraway, some scale drawings intended for models, and some freehand guesswork when drawing it up in CAD to make it all fit together.

I am including a progress pic with some drawings lined up to create an orthographic projection that I use as guidelines for the overall shape of the aircraft. 

I would love all the help that I can get.

image.png

image1.png

Edited by DewFiend
added second image
  • Like 8

Nice to see this is coming along, Had one at my local airfield in Germany, used to see it most weekends in the summer......dang noisy though and it kinda got up your wick after a bit, but then it was good fun watching him do his display bit, nothing like a free airshow.  Now..... I miss the noise, lol

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Two of these operate from my local airfield. They do pleasure flights so we see them all summer. I’m still calling them Harvards but think technically, they’re Texans. They’re good and grunty enough whatever we call em.

Best of luck with the build, we can always do with more vintage props around here. :pilotfly:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Really looking forward to this mod.  Grew up around several Texans as a kid.  They still fly around here in Texas.  Hopefully when time comes, you will be able to get some good engine recordings to get the old girl sounding right as well.