Mi-24P Hind Instant Action problems and oversights (and my attempt to fix it)

Skuva
Go to solution Solved by Flappie,

After acquiring the Hind, I got surprised by the fact this module, even though is now more than 2 years old, has no official missions or a campaign. All we got are Instant Actions. But as ED is still sticking the WIP stamp all over it and promising a campaign soonTM, I can overlook it for now.

What I can’t overlook is the state of the Instant Actions, specifically the combat ones. There are so many wrong stuff with those, it seems to be done done in a rush, like when I were in high school finishing my homework as the teacher was collecting it. Whoever made these missions hate the Hind and knows little about the aircraft. This is clear from the scope of the missions and the choice of weaponry. I doubt the individual tested any of these missions even once.

I’ll point out most of the wrong stuff I found with 3 of them (because I only have Caucasus and Syria). And I’m posting my Miz files attempting to solve these problems and improve some aspects of these missions.

Battle of Zugdidi

This one is basically impossible to be completed given the number of enemies, time, loadout, and wingman/Petrovich incompetence.

It has no Mission Goals. So, no points to indicate progress. Along with no messages to communicate mission success.

The GUV is INCOMPATIBLE with the ATGM. So, by default the player can only use 4 out of the 8 missiles. Also, who in their right mind would think the GUV have any use in a mission like this? with almost all targets being armored and with a lot of stuff to shoot back at you?

Also, why the 9m114 instead of 9m120? In the mission you face 5 T-72’s, which need 2x9m114 each to destroy, even if you and your dumb wingman manage to perfectly hit all T-72’s (which is almost impossible because of threes and buildings) you still have only 6 missiles left (provided you removed the GUV) to deal with all the other units (that can shoot from way too far to allow you go guns/rockets).

SET FLAG VALUE trigger for the center Buk group spawn is wrong. When this group gets chosen by the RNG, there will be no message to indicate the player accomplishing that bit of the mission.

There is an allied BMP group south of the FARP serving absolutely no purpose. Seems like the idea was for it to advance and help defend the FARP.

Kodori Storm

This is the worst offender. It seems to have been reused from another mission. A lot of incomplete things, triggers that do nothing, triggers missing, etc. There are Mission Goals, but they are all nonsense. Honestly, I won’t even try to write everything wrong with it, it would be more than the other 2 missions combined.

Why bombs? They are already difficult to use in flat terrain, It’s basically impossible in the middle of the mountains with Petrovich in his current wobbly state. Switching the FAB’s for S-8 makes everything easier.

I did my best to fix it, but there could still be malfunctions, as I was unable to completely understand this mess.

H-4 Take Down

This seems the least problematic of the bunch. Can be completed in its original state if you use your imagination enough. Because there are no Mission Goals. Along with no message indicating whether or not the player achieved success or failure after ground units enter H-4.

The Hawk site never engage the player (even above 500m), because whoever made the mission forgot to push the Red Alert task.

Many of the armored units on H-4 frontline are positioned inside the dirt pile of their ditches. Causing problems with the AI, both the ground AI and Petrovich, who seems unable to fire missiles at units with even 10cm of terrain/water covering them. This problem gets worse as those ground units have Disperse under fire On, so when you hit the first missile, they will scatter around, some get out of their ditches, some shove themselves even deeper into the dirt.

Sometimes the artillery will not fire at H-4. That happens when the first allied armored group fails to reach the zone. The zone should include the path of the second group. Also, the target area is too small and at the wrong position to have any effect on the thing it is supposedly trying to shoot. Flag 150 has no action to become ON, affecting one of the artillery’s message.

The Player loadout comes with only 8xATGM. I added a side gunner to make the H-4 clear out more fun.

Mi-24P_CAUC_IA_Insurgent Attack .miz Mi-24P_SYR_IA Peer Attack.miz Mi-24P_CAUC_IA Peer Attack.miz

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2