DLSS & VR

davidrbarnette

DLSS is the biggest fps improver.

I was surprised that the gain of fixed foveated rendering was so small. Still 5-7% improved fps is extra frames to push over 72fps.

Also i like the other functions in OXRTK, so it is a keeper for me.

Intel i9 13900K | RTX4090 | 64 Gb DDR4 3600 CL18 | 2Tb PCIe4.0 | Varjo Aero | Pico 4 on WIFI6e | Virtual Desktop running VDXR

DLSS is the biggest fps improver.

I was surprised that the gain of fixed foveated rendering was so small. Still 5-7% improved fps is extra frames to push over 72fps.
Also i like the other functions in OXRTK, so it is a keeper for me.
Can i ask your fixed foveated options and other options of oxrt?
The fixed foveated rendering quality and Wide Is the less aggressive true?

Inviato dal mio CPH2219 utilizzando Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Lorenzo.D said:

Can i ask your fixed foveated options and other options of oxrt?
The fixed foveated rendering quality and Wide Is the less aggressive true?

Inviato dal mio CPH2219 utilizzando Tapatalk

It depends on your headset and how clear you like the picture. You can be more agressive on settings with Fresnel lenses compared to Pancake lenses. 

Tip how to adjust:

1. Adjust the outer ring first. Resolution set to 1/16. Adjust intill ring is very barely visible on the image. 
  2. Adjust inner ring by setting resolution to 1/16 (makes it easier to see adjustment). I adjust it about 10% into the frame and when happy change middle resolution to 1/2. You need to decide what you like.
  3. I like to set Prefer vertical resolution

Example menu below (not my settings):

image.png

Edited by MIghtymoo
  • Thanks 1

Intel i9 13900K | RTX4090 | 64 Gb DDR4 3600 CL18 | 2Tb PCIe4.0 | Varjo Aero | Pico 4 on WIFI6e | Virtual Desktop running VDXR

Thoughts on the last couple of days:

From all my experiments DLSS must be off because I always get MFDs with this weird like low refresh "wave" on the lines. Or just wavy artifacts if I increase/decrease quality, be it in PD or via sharpening. With balanced or performance I can have a reprojection free game but the overall quality is horrendous -> I  get it, it can help a lot of people with previous poor performance.

DLAA is here to replace MSAA! It solved most of the existent shimmering on rough edges be it instruments or scenario (maybe even in the clouds?) - sometimes it looked like it was blinking, not anymore. 

I get the idea of not using reprojection but for some reason (maybe cpu/gpu bound?) I cant get the frames to pair and have a smooth over the 90hz refresh rate experience, most noticeable is when I move my head around the cockpit or when banking. Its like a micro lag/drag kinda feel. This with FPS in 70s ish so not good enough.

Any idea what to do with the SSS shadow thing? Whats the combination of shadows to use?

Specs:
HP Reverb G1
3090ti
DDR4 64 gb
NVME hd
i5 10600k

Edited by t-stoff

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"The nation which forgets its defenders will be itself forgotten"

3 hours ago, t-stoff said:

From all my experiments DLSS must be off because I always get MFDs with this weird like low refresh "wave" on the lines. Or just wavy artifacts if I increase/decrease quality, be it in PD or via sharpening. With balanced or performance I can have a reprojection free game but the overall quality is horrendous -> I  get it, it can help a lot of people with previous poor performance.

Very strange.

DLSS Quality looks very good if the resolution is high enough. MFDs looks great. I am not able to see noticeable difference from DLAA, but with +15-20fps in bonus. Can read even the small text in the Viggen cockpit

Edited by MIghtymoo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MIghtymoo said:

Very strange.

DLSS Quality looks very good if the resolution is high enough. MFDs looks great. I am not able to see noticeable difference from DLAA, but with +15-20fps in bonus. Can read even the small text in the Viggen cockpit

yeah I know. but its not that strange that there isnt a common experience from a different DCS users, its like random most of the time.
I saved a pic from someone reddit? maybe, that is what it looks like some of what I experience (note the vertical line on the right mfd). but its usually worst. sometimes the line creates waves like an oscilloscope would do.

393671784_7341025099243952_4285198982763499129_n.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"The nation which forgets its defenders will be itself forgotten"

1 hour ago, t-stoff said:

yeah I know. but its not that strange that there isnt a common experience from a different DCS users, its like random most of the time.
I saved a pic from someone reddit? maybe, that is what it looks like some of what I experience (note the vertical line on the right mfd). but its usually worst. sometimes the line creates waves like an oscilloscope would do.

What resolution are you running?

Just tried DLSS with increased pixel density. I have to say DCS never looked so good and performance is very much acceptable. 
I used to run my QPro with oculus app resolution maxed out and 4x MSAA and QuadViews 

Today I tried DLSS, which of course made image quality not great. But then in the Oculus Debug Tool I increased PD to 1.5 just to see how it is. It looks amazing with better performance before than before. There are some artifacts that I’ll have to live with but the overall image quality is great. I’ll be keeping these settings. 
I was gonna get a Pimax Crystal for Black Friday but now I’m hesitating… 🙂

Edited by Dentedend10

Alienware Aurora R10, Ryzen 5800X3D, RTX4080, 32GB RAM, Pimax Crystal, Winwing F18 throttle, VKB Gunfighter F14 Stick, VKB Modern Combat Grip, Logitech Rudder pedals, DOF Reality H3

Has anyone noticed any differences in the DLSS artifacts depending on the map?

For example on the Marianas map I can get 72fps in the "Lagoon Patrol" mission with P47, P51 or spitfire. In all situations, the Zeros have a lot of "smearing" at a distance and pronounced ghosting close up. I get this with DLSS and DLAA alone.

In contrast, with the Normandy 2 map I can get 72 fps with the BF109 dogfight mission, there is little ghosting and no smearing. I have the same settings in both situations and very good quality. 

I have not yet tested other maps with similar combat situations. 

DLSS quality, 0.5 sharpening.

PD 1.5; QVFR default except periphery set to 0.3.

DCS settings. High texture quality, high scenery, extreme range, medium for most other settings. 

Edited by Qcumber

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

14 hours ago, Qcumber said:

I see similar results when comparing Caucasus and Persian Gulf.  DLSS seems to provide a bigger performance boost on busy maps such as flying over Dubai in the Gulf map but also with increased smearing.  Flying over Caucasus with DLSS provides very limited performance gain in contrast, but also much less smearing.

• Like 1

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i9-13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB, ADDLINK S72 2TB, TM WARTHOG COMBO + PENDULAR RUDDER PEDALS, PIMAX 8K X, Sony 5.1 Spks+SubW | DCS OB, A-10C_II, AH-64D, F-14/16/18, F-86F, AV-8B, M-2000C, SA342, Huey, Spitfire, FC3.

38 minutes ago, Marshallman said:

Very heavy  on the Apache in Caucasus!!!....15 fps down on Huey.

The Apache is a CPU/GPU hog, but very enjoyable in VR.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Qcumber said:

For example on the Marianas map I can get 72fps in the "Lagoon Patrol" mission with P47, P51 or spitfire. In all situations, the Zeros have a lot of "smearing" at a distance and pronounced ghosting close up. I get this with DLSS and DLAA alone.

In contrast, with the Normandy 2 map I can get 72 fps with the BF109 dogfight mission, there is little ghosting and no smearing. I have the same settings in both situations and very good quality. 

I have not yet tested other maps with similar combat situations. 

DLSS quality, 0.5 sharpening.

PD 1.5; QVFR default except periphery set to 0.3.

DCS settings. High texture quality, high scenery, extreme range, medium for most other settings. 

I solved the blurry issue by increasing pixel density to 1.5 and also now not getting the artifacts  and the visuals look amazing now ( so running DLSS and DLAA and quad but have SSS disabled) - only issue is my FPS is around 45/50 - so this definitely taken away the fps improvement I was expecting from DLSS and quad - how much I lost is difficult to tell......

3 hours ago, mac22 said:

I solved the blurry issue by increasing pixel density to 1.5 and also now not getting the artifacts  and the visuals look amazing now ( so running DLSS and DLAA and quad but have SSS disabled) - only issue is my FPS is around 45/50 - so this definitely taken away the fps improvement I was expecting from DLSS and quad - how much I lost is difficult to tell......

Yes. I get the same. PD 1.5 is the answer. I'm just not sure why objects on the Marianas map looks bad even when fps is maintained at 72 and Normandy looks fine. 

PD 1.5  in the DCS VR settings?

If so what is your sharpening slider set to in the main settings fpage please?

Edited by Marshallman

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz   Turbo 5.1 GHz, Asus Prime Motherboard B460M-A, Nvidia Geoforce RTX4090, 64gB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR 3600Mhz,Windows 10 Pro Reverb G2V2

12 minutes ago, Marshallman said:

Yes. 1.4 or 1.5 pixel density works well in the DCS VR settings. I am still playing with sharpening but I think 0.5 in the DLSS slider and about 30% CAS in OXRTK seems optimal for me. The latter is mainly so I can tweak sharpening on the fly. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/30/2023 at 7:19 PM, Marshallman said:

Depends on your GPU. You have a pretty beefy GPU.

I am running 3850x3850 and can have both HIGH visibility range and FLAT shadows ans still stay comfortably above 72-80 fps flying low over a big city in Syria in the Apache (mission with lots of active AI units).

When I go to 4200x4200 I must decrease the visibility range to MEDUIM.

2023-10-30 21_00_55-Settings.png

Edited by MIghtymoo

Just about to try this now thankyou!!

Found a lot of improvements thanks for this!!

Edited by Marshallman

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz   Turbo 5.1 GHz, Asus Prime Motherboard B460M-A, Nvidia Geoforce RTX4090, 64gB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR 3600Mhz,Windows 10 Pro Reverb G2V2

12 hours ago, MIghtymoo said:

Depends on your GPU. You have a pretty beefy GPU.

I am running PD of 1.9 and can have both MEDIUM visibility range and FLAT shadows ans still stay comfortably above 72-80 fps flying low over a big city in Syria in the Apache (mission with lots of active AI units).

When I go down to PD 1.8 I can increase the visibility range to HIGH.

2023-10-30 21_00_55-Settings.png

interesting results.....do you find tweaking the range is the main thing to give you fps and what does flat shadow give you if you enable?

I am running a 7950x3d and 4090 - tried DLSS on quality with quad view running and range of high or extreme and PD x1.5 and I am getting fps of around 45-50 on a crystal - cockpits 

do look amazing though I am trying to get FPS to always be above 45 so I can run 1/2 refresh rating setting - what would you suggest tweaking or should tweaking the range give me a big boost? and wondering if its worth moving the PD from 1.5 up to 1.9?

1 hour ago, mac22 said:

interesting results.....do you find tweaking the range is the main thing to give you fps and what does flat shadow give you if you enable?

I am running a 7950x3d and 4090 - tried DLSS on quality with quad view running and range of high or extreme and PD x1.5 and I am getting fps of around 45-50 on a crystal - cockpits 

do look amazing though I am trying to get FPS to always be above 45 so I can run 1/2 refresh rating setting - what would you suggest tweaking or should tweaking the range give me a big boost? and wondering if its worth moving the PD from 1.5 up to 1.9?

Hi! How do you find motion smoothing in the Pimax at half refresh rate? (ASW equivalent)

Alienware Aurora R10, Ryzen 5800X3D, RTX4080, 32GB RAM, Pimax Crystal, Winwing F18 throttle, VKB Gunfighter F14 Stick, VKB Modern Combat Grip, Logitech Rudder pedals, DOF Reality H3

2 hours ago, Dentedend10 said:

Hi! How do you find motion smoothing in the Pimax at half refresh rate? (ASW equivalent)

do you mean would I select it as an option - I never have and heard various stories that it is broken.....

in terms of just the half refresh (not sure if this contains any kind of smoothing?)but  actually find it very smooth as long as your system can maintain the 45 its an good solution.........

problem I am having now is even with quad views and also DLSS may frames seem to move around the 45/50 level - not sure why this is but will try tweaking the PD and also visible range to see if it improves things (have had the range set to extreme most recently)

10 hours ago, mac22 said:

The PD can be confusing as it is a multiplier for whatever resolution is set for DCS elsewhere.

It is probably better to set the desired resolution in relevant application (for me either SteamVR or in OpenXR toolkit).

I have a Pico 4 headset and for that headset it seems to be optimal to set the resolution to around 3850x3850.

Start with default resolution and review the image sharpness. If you think the MFD text is a little blurry, increase resolution 10% and try again (I delete fxo and metashader folder each time since I change resolution). Repeat untill you are happy with sharpness vs performance.

When it comes to graphics, there are a few settings that make a major visual impact in VR.

1. Visibility range (High is the best option as on Medium trees and buildings are not drawn/visible until very close).

2. Flat shadows give that extra depth and make the flight «more alive», without the heavy GPU hit of Default (which also does not look as nice due to flickering/artifacts, IMHO).

3. DLSS quality is golden for VR. Tests on a busy Syria map yesterday with the Apache got the following results (averaged):

- No AA: 70 fps

- MSAAx2: 60 fps

- MSAAx4: 40 fps (!)

- TAA: 65 fps

- DLAA: 60 fps

- DLSS Quality: 85fps 

Other than that I like to have shadow quality to Medium as it gives a very nice effect in the cockpit.

Clouds to High.

Rest is honestly just minor impact eye-candy that I can not afford to get a stable 72-90 fps.

Good luck getting the optimal settings for your setup! 😉

Edited by MIghtymoo
  • Like 1