Smoke goes AWOL on Mission 2

DaveDewhurst

Run through this one a few times now and each time Smoke just takes off and orbits the carrier at 2000'

If I carry on regardless I get the mic zap when I turn to WP2,
If I keep playing till I get to the tanker he will burn over towards me and then refuel, but afterwards just head back to his orbit around the carrier.

I did a full DCS repair last night and I'm not running any mods.

I've attached a track. (in this one I don't get as far as the tanker as I know there's not much point, Smokes already checked out.)

In the track Smoke takes off first by a few seconds but the same results occur if I go first.

Dave

SmokeGoAWOL.trk

Hey @DaveDewhurst. I've updated this mission and flew it probably a 5 times recently and each time it worked well for me. In any case, perhaps the upcoming OB patch may fix things with the AI behaviour. I'll also have a fully updated Raven One (with lots of bug fixes and goodies added) ready for November patch (unfortunately I wasn't able to get all the missions updated in time for October, I spent hours on two of the missions trying to make the AI do what they were supposed to). 

In any case, this is a mission where some people have problems, but for the majority (including myself) it works as intended - so it is difficult to troubleshoot it. I will check the track file. 
BTW, are you using any unofficial 3rd party aircraft mods, Voice Attack etc? These are known to break the AI behaviour in DLC campaigns. Also have a look at this thread, same mission, different problems magically disappearing at some point... gotta love the AI 🙂

Edited by baltic_dragon
ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

1 minute ago, baltic_dragon said:

BTW, are you using any unofficial 3rd party aircraft mods, Voice Attack etc? These are known to break the AI behaviour in DLC campaigns. 

GodDammit 😊 I'd forgotten that I had the UH60 Installed, I have just removed it and I'll try it again.

Dave

Update, 

After I took that screenshot, I quit so I could post it and then replayed it. Smoke decided to do his own thing again.

The only thing I could think that was different (other than removing the UH60) was for the test I just did an auto start, but when I wanted to play it for real I did a full manual start.

I have now run the mission a few more times and I think I can reproduce the issue and reproduce the fix

Every time it works I have either done an Auto start or a stored heading INS align (which is what the auto start does)

Every time the mission has gone weird, I have done a full 9min INS align.

Does that sound possible as a cause? is there a timed element in there somewhere?

Dave

Just completed the mission, Smoke behaved perfectly (this was with a manual start but stored heading align)

Edited by DaveDewhurst
  • Like 1

No problem.

Smoke doesn't move until I press space, so the difference in TO time is merely seconds, but I was wondering whether the delay in getting him moving might be messing something.

But I've just done mission 2 & 3 with no issues now, so I'll just keep doing a stored heading align and look forward to the overhaul and some of your other campaigns after this one.

Dave

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Thanks

On 10/7/2023 at 9:55 AM, DaveDewhurst said:

Update, 

... Every time it works I have either done an Auto start or a stored heading INS align (which is what the auto start does)

Every time the mission has gone weird, I have done a full 9min INS align.

Thanks so much for this!  I have flown this mission now about 20 times (not exaggeration)

Indeed, I tried two times now with Auto Start (not my cup of tea!), and Storage Heading on start instead of the full INS align, and lo and behold, Smoke stays at Angels 17 and calls Tape's On, perfectly when he is 55NM from WP4.

Thanks again for this input, maybe this should be included in the designer's note on the Briefing and PDF?

I'm Dragon in the Multiplayer servers.