aircraft status / maintenance report term ?

HILOK

hi everyone, is there a specific term in the US/UK military for the document, where maintenance lists current defects of a specific aircraft, so that amongst others flight crews can review what to expect on the aircraft allocated to them?

i am not talking about the tech log onboard the aircraft. in civil aviation that document would be called f.ex. "hold item list" or "a/c status report". as not every defect puts the a/c AOG (according to the MEL), that list is usually part of the briefing, and might impact preflight decision making.

i am looking for the specific term used in the USAF / NAVY / RAF. could be that things are done completely differently in the military...anyway, thanks for any help 😊 

• 4 months later...

They actually aren't done very different at all in the military. For the Air Force each aircraft has a set of forms that maintenance and servicing is recorded in. There are several sections to the forms, that give all information about that aircraft.

Like flight hours, engine times, when inspections are due. How much gas it needed after a sortie and so on so forth. The pilot will review the forms before flight but the forms stay with the crew chief while the airplane is flying. Unless of course they are doing a cross country flight then they go with airplane for when they stop for gas and in the event they were to break off station.

This can be a very complex subject with the the air force has it set up, but the short and skinny of it is they are the aircraft forms, or "the forms". Hope this helps

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, IvanK said:

In the RAF I think the Aircraft form is known as the "700" in the RAAF its known as the EE500

You check the form 700 when signing for the aircraft, it details any maintenance issues, snags that are outstanding and yet to be fixed that may have an influence on your flight.

For instance it may just say about an acceptable error that doesn’t preclude a flight.

Maybe a spurious (unrelated) warning that flashes up when landing gear is cycled for instance - 700 will detail that it is known about but thus far has eluded discovery, and has no effect.

Also shows the history of the particular airframe you are signing out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

Sounds similar to the air force. There is one of three symbols that can be entered in the forms. A dash, a diagonal and an x. Always drawn in Red. Red X is a grounding symbol meaning the airplane can't fly until it's fixed. A red x isn't always a bad thing though. When the aircraft lands and needs fuel, that write up is on an x until it's refueled. Dash and diagonal are flyable and document various things needing to be done. 

• Thanks 1