Initial thoughts on 2.9

davidrbarnette

Well, I had a chance to play 2.9 last night for maybe 30 minutes. Overall I'm very impressed and think it's one of the better updates to DCS.

System: Ryzen 5950x, GTX 3080, 64GB DDR4, HP Reverb G2

I play in VR and tried both the DLAA option (no DLSS) and using DLSS. 

- DLAA seems to provide better visuals with no shimmering or jagged edges, actually considerably better than MSAA x2.

- DLSS seems to provide about 20 fps better performance, and "acceptable" visuals. There is definitely less visual clarity, particularly on MFDs in the cockpit. Whether or not the performance boost is worth the slightly worse visuals is probably a matter of opinion. I think I prefer DLAA alone rather than using the DLSS upscaling.

- I tried both the F-14 and F-15E. I've historically gotten similar framerates in both modules. I flew a couple missions in DCS Retribution on the Syria map, as well as a couple of single missions in Nevada. I have usually averaged about 70 fps with textures on medium, terrain textures high, visibility high, 1024 every frame for cockpit displays, shadows on high, and clouds on low. 

- I am definitely getting lower framerates with both DLSS or DLAA, but surprisingly, both yield a significantly better experience than the higher framerates I had previously. Whereas the 70 fps I used to get was kind of choppy, with shimmering, textured clouds, the 55 fps I'm getting now seems silky-smooth and with much improved visuals. 

Overall I'm very pleased. I'm probably also in the minority in that I like the new spotting feature... while the big black dot isn't ideal, I think it's nice to at least be able to spot other aircraft from a distance.

Nice job to the team at ED. I'm looking forward to spending some more time dialing things in.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, JesseJames38 said:

Try using Vsynce McCloud. i found that anything over 60fps you start to have issues with objects or mfd screens tearing/ghosting.    

I thought exactly the same buddy however i wasn't able to rid myself of the issue. to put it into context, I have...

- G2 Reverb
- 64GB DDR5
- 3090 FE

Quite perplexing.

Edited by McCloud

48 minutes ago, McCloud said:

Do you not have any issues with the MFD's in the F-15E?

2.9 made the F-16C MFD's unusable for me.

Nope, no issues whatsoever with MFD's. When I have it set to use DLAA, the MFDs look as good as they ever have, probably better. If I use DLSS, I definitely lose some fidelity, but not much, really.