Virtual Desktop now has a beta build live with OpenXR support. No steamVR or link necessary for OpenXRtoolkit etc on Quest/Pico headsets.

MoleUK

1 hour ago, Sile said:

I'm tempted to try VD now with OpenXR Support. Currently using Link Cable.

Can someone recommend a wifi 6e access point for this purpose? D-Link VR Air Bridge should be okay?!

I bought an Asus RT AX-57. One of the cheapest, but still a potent thingy. The AX55 was recommended, but out of stock, so it was a bit of a gamble, but its performing good on my end.

vor 41 Minuten schrieb Vandaahl:

Yes, I mentioned having the same issues at first. Going 1 step back when flying 20 steps forward. Did you install fraps to look at what happens with the framerate?
Remember, I locked my framerate at half the hrz VD is using to SSW in NVidia settings, but since you have an AMD GPU, you have to find a way to do the same on your AMD card.

Could well be this is the case on your end. We both have different systems, so it could indeed be you're convicted to use SteamVr, where I have to use openComposite, or stuff like that. I can tell you how I fixed my stutters, in the hope it fixes yours, but it might not 🙂

I just tested a little bit arround and i locked my frames to half in gpu driver as you mentioned. No judder or jittering anymore, it´s smooth but i think i know what´s the biggest problem here.

My latency is spiking randomly and constantly so when i´am flying i can fly for a few minutes and all of a sudden i have big latency spikes which causes fps to drop significantly and a dia show starts until the latency has normalised again and that occurs constantly when flying.

I have a wifi router on my motherboard which is 6ghz but the internetprovider router seems to just support 5 ghz so my wifi signal just gives me 5ghz. Is there any way to stabilise the signal to prevent those latency spikes or are the spikes happening for an other reason?

I havent installed Fraps, i just used the VD performance overlay to check metrics.

Edited by Mr Wave Off

Nice, you're almost there. The 5ghz bit rate should be enough, but latency might indeed be a problem. Also make a dedicated access point NO one has access to, but your headset. I bought a dedicated router for it. My WiFi sucked anyway, so it was well worth the investment, regardless what I use, VD or link 

Edited by Vandaahl

vor 3 Stunden schrieb Vandaahl:

Nice, you're almost there. The 5ghz bit rate should be enough, but latency might indeed be a problem. Also make a dedicated access point NO one has access to, but your headset. I bought a dedicated router for it. My WiFi sucked anyway, so it was well worth the investment, regardless what I use, VD or link 

Is it possible to make my Motherboard´s wifi adapter a dedicated access point? And if so how? I have my wifi adapter setup as a hotspot from ethernet (which is the lan cable connected from general router to pc) to Wlan (wifi adapter of the motherboard). I have nothing else connected to this hotspot but my headset. Cellphones are connected via the general router´s wlan.

Edited by Mr Wave Off

Depends on the rest of the network, but that's a bit out of my league. I'm not entirely sure if traffic will take the shortest route, or if your headset will travel through the closest router/switch. I mean it has to get an IP, and  your PC won't be the one providing that. So the rest if the network needs to be at least 1000mbit capable. Technically it is possible. I got a Raspberry pie that emulates an access point, but thats a controller for a telescope and not part of a  bigger network. It all sounds a bit cross-link-cable-of-old to me, so I dont think it will work well. But you got the thing, so follow your curiousity, and give it a go. Can't hurt to try, if you got the time for it.

Otherwise, a dedicated router is never a bad investement 🙂

Edited by Vandaahl

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Vandaahl:

Depends on the rest of the network, but that's a bit out of my league. I'm not entirely sure if traffic will take the shortest route, or if your headset will travel through the closest router/switch. I mean it has to get an IP, and  your PC won't be the one providing that. So the rest if the network needs to be at least 1000mbit capable. Technically it is possible. I got a Raspberry pie that emulates an access point, but thats a controller for a telescope and not part of a  bigger network. It all sounds a bit cross-link-cable-of-old to me, so I dont think it will work well. But you got the thing, so follow your curiousity, and give it a go. Can't hurt to try, if you got the time for it.

Otherwise, a dedicated router is never a bad investement 🙂

I think i´ll go for the dedicated router, i´m kind of exhausted from fiddling arround with configurations and settings the last days. I wan´t to fly proper sessions finally. 

Installed 1.29.4 earlier today. On my system, it has fixed the display of incorrect runtime (VDXR is now reported correctly instead of Oculus) when OXRTK and/or QuadViews is active. Also, the VR scene is correctly centered at OpenXR startup (is was shifted down before). No issues encountered so far. Thank you !

5800X3D - 6950XT - Pico 4

mbucchia - thanks so much for all your hard work - it is really making a huge difference to DCS (VD and AMD 9 5950 AMD RX6800 XT) - very much appreciated - I am just wondering what settings people are using in the Open XR toolkit to maximise FPS - at present I am getting 45 on the ground and then up to 80 in the air on NTTS - although it seems very unsteady.

VDXR looks sharper when compared to SteamVr and runs extremley well for me , i can even run the Apache Syrian "hot start" instant action mission at a steady 72 FPS when flying over the nearby city (on both the PICO 4 & Q3). ........................ something that i just can't achieve when using the SteamVR runtime. 

Unfortuanately when using VDXR i'm finding that whenever i have "Emulate quad views foveation support" enabled (in SteamVR settings) i keep having constant frame drops/heavy stuttering when in game....... if i turn it off runs smooth. 

Fixed QVFV works fine when using the SteamVR runtime.

Just wondering is this a known problem that using fixed foveated rendering mode with VDXR causes bad FPS drops/stuttering ... or is it just my system playing up ?.

I'm also having FPS instability whenever i'm in the main DCS menu/mission builder screens. 

Thanks for you efforts mbucchia VDXR is really good...

Edited by Gunnergolly

Win 11 Home 64Bit, i7-13700K@5.2Ghz Water Cooled, 32 Gb RAM, PNY RTX4090, HP Reverb, PICO 4, Quest 3, Realsimulator FSSB R3, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Pedals.

3 hours ago, Gunnergolly said:

VDXR looks sharper when compared to SteamVr and runs extremley well for me , i can even run the Apache Syrian "hot start" instant action mission at a steady 72 FPS when flying over the nearby city (on both the PICO 4 & Q3). ........................ something that i just can't achieve when using the SteamVR runtime. 

Unfortuanately when using VDXR i'm finding that whenever i have "Emulate quad views foveation support" enabled (in SteamVR settings) i keep having constant frame drops/heavy stuttering when in game....... if i turn it off runs smooth. 

Fixed QVFV works fine when using the SteamVR runtime.

Just wondering is this a known problem that using fixed foveated rendering mode with VDXR causes bad FPS drops/stuttering ... or is it just my system playing up ?.

I'm also having FPS instability whenever i'm in the main DCS menu/mission builder screens. 

Thanks for you efforts mbucchia VDXR is really good...

Can you try turning off Turbo in QVFR?

This account is now inactive and not monitored.

2 hours ago, mbucchia said:

Can you try turning off Turbo in QVFR?

%LocalAppData%\Quad-Views-Foveated\settings.cfg

I created a new settings.cfg file in the above location as per your wiki instructions and pasted the following entry in to said file  -----> turbo_mode=0     

Tested in game for about 15 minutes in the F-18C quick action mission and held a perfect 72 FPS the whole time, also the menu FPS held stable at 72 as well....

Will do some more testing later when i have more time, but seems to have done the trick...... thanks 😀  

Win 11 Home 64Bit, i7-13700K@5.2Ghz Water Cooled, 32 Gb RAM, PNY RTX4090, HP Reverb, PICO 4, Quest 3, Realsimulator FSSB R3, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Pedals.

4 hours ago, Gunnergolly said:

I created a new settings.cfg file in the above location as per your wiki instructions and pasted the following entry in to said file  -----> turbo_mode=0     

Tested in game for about 15 minutes in the F-18C quick action mission and held a perfect 72 FPS the whole time, also the menu FPS held stable at 72 as well....

Will do some more testing later when i have more time, but seems to have done the trick...... thanks 😀  

Thx, I probably need to make this the new default for VDXR in QVFR base config 

I created a new settings.cfg file using notepad++ and saved it as as .cfg file in a folder called  "Quad-Views-Foverated" in the following location:- 

C:\Users\myname\AppData\localAppData\Quad-Views-Foveated

I'm using a quest 3 and trying to adjust the render resolution of the foveated area using "focus_multiplier=1.5", however it dosen't seem to be having any effect.

I've also tried using the two debug commands debug_eye_gaze=1 and debug_focus_view=1 just to confirm that my settings.cfg file is actually working... but once again im not seeing anything change. 

What's wrong with my settings.cfg file..... where am i going wrong 😳 ???.

Edited by Gunnergolly

I've re-read the wiki page, found the section referring to the log file..... looking at the log file it's saying that it cannot locate my configuration file.

2023-11-10 10:25:24 +0000: Trying to locate configuration file at 'C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Quad-Views-Foveated\settings.cfg'...
2023-11-10 10:25:24 +0000: Not found

There's a very slight error in the wiki page instructions or i've misunderstood them as they say to install the new user created settings.cfg in the following location :-

The log is saying that it is actually looking in this location:-

'C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Quad-Views-Foveated\settings.cfg'

I've moved my settings file to where the log is looking and it's all working now :).. 

2023-11-10 10:36:24 +0000: Trying to locate configuration file at 'C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Quad-Views-Foveated\settings.cfg'...
2023-11-10 10:36:24 +0000:   Found option 'turbo_mode=0'
2023-11-10 10:36:24 +0000:   Found option 'focus_multiplier=1.2'

Hopefully the above will help somebody in the future...

Edited by Gunnergolly

5 hours ago, Gunnergolly said:

The log is saying that it is actually looking in this location

These are the same path.

%LocalAppData% is an alias to your user folders AppData\Local. When you type %LocalAppData% in your file explorer, it will take you to that exact same location. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
22 hours ago, MarkyMarkUK said:

Slightly lower Latency and Game ms , FPS is same but game now has micro stutters when rolling etc., back to SteamVR for me.

PC Steam i9 10K 64GB SSD RTX 4090 Pico 4

Have you tried enabling turbo mode from OXRTK or QVFR? This removed any micro stutters for me. I have removed steam completely. 

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

51 minutes ago, Qcumber said:

Have you tried enabling turbo mode from OXRTK or QVFR? This removed any micro stutters for me. I have removed steam completely. 

I noticed some black borders with turbo mode on, specially when quickly turning head... a bit more that with SteamVR. Did you find some fix to sidebanding?

2 hours ago, Qcumber said:

Just tried that and it kept making the game stall every few seconds. I did also just try Game Boost in the VD PC options, no no joy there too.

1 hour ago, MarkyMarkUK said:

Just tried that and it kept making the game stall every few seconds. I did also just try Game Boost in the VD PC options, no no joy there too.

That happens for me with steam VR but not with VDXR. 

2 hours ago, Gryzor said:

I noticed some black borders with turbo mode on, specially when quickly turning head... a bit more that with SteamVR. Did you find some fix to sidebanding?

I only get black borders with lower frame rates. I have not noticed any difference with turbo mode. I did find that this has been better with recent VD and DCS updates. 

Edited by Qcumber

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro