Gunfighter IV with MCG U - initial impressions

sepruda

Just got the Gunfighter 4 with the MCG-U grip and a 200mm extension. I'm coming from a Virpil setup with a Constellation Alpha grip on a Mongoose T-50CM3 and a 200mm extension. 

I found it very frustrating that there was no documentation, not even on their website! Only a youtube channel, which has some well produced videos, but I prefer reading! Had to ask on forums, and watch again and again. 

Loved the customisability, being able to pull out the mini-stick and replace it, was amazing! Also liked that you could replace the buttons with black buttons. 

I have not changed cams, but I've changed springs (two times). It's not so bad to change them, but adjusting the tension and dampener can only be done without the dustcover. Coming from the T-50CM3 it was so much nicer, you could adjust it right on the base and plug the holes afterwards. Though I must say I enjoy the lower and smaller base. 

Calibrating it was pretty easy, though I think the software is really awful. Virpils is not the best, but this was by far more mysterious, lot's of abbreviations and weird labels. I tried mapping the paddle switch to a button, since it's an axis by default, but gave up (even though I found the axis-to-button section after much searching!). 

The sticks itself feel very good, it's slim and matches my hand well. The palm rest is a lot more solid than on the Virpil. I do not like that the pinky button is actually pushed with the ring finger though.. The buttons seem high quality and the material is nicer than the Virpil stick. 

The extension however did not work for me at all, it's way to loose compared to what I prefer. I have a pretty high resistance on my Virpil base, this gives me more of a feeling of flying. This was very loose, even with 2 times 2*50 springs on each axis and the resistance to full. Also, I have it mounted to a Monstertech desk mount, and pushing it all the way forward makes it touch my mount. I think there's too much throw on it, though rotary wing drivers might disagree. 

Speaking of mounting, there was some screws for the base, but those have an angled head, and on the Monstertech Gunfighter plate there's no indentations. This means, that if you don't want the stick all the way forward, the screws will sit on the base. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, anyway more of a Monstertech issue. 

Next up, I'll try to use it without extension or consider the 100mm extension. Though right now I'm leaning towards returning it (if possible, lol), and getting a Mongoose grip. 

Anyway, love to hear other experiences, or good arguments why it's the best stick 🙂 

I just received the Ultimate 

Didn't have time to test it. Out of the box, it feels a bit too soft. Which springs would you recommend to replace, guys? 

The quality of the joystick ( and buttons) it's absolutely amazing 

Thank you in advance 

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

I have now 2 springs on each axis 

#40 +  #20 and it feels absolutely amazing 

I wish I could make a bit softer the brake lever 

Is that possible? 

Thank you 

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

Got mine a month ago default springs are too soft . I would of liked 50# or even 70# . Springs included.

Setup wise 40 and 30 on same axis. . Very impressive. A little damper . Can land fly helicopter now much better . 

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

• 4 months later...

I have the GF III Ultimate, and it is amazing! I think I'm using the 40 size springs, but no extension. It also is the closest feel to what I experience in real-world flying for stick forces without the stick slopping around.

Sure, the software is a little complicated at first, but if you understand the parameters, it is not too difficult to figure out. The other thing is you aren't really supposed to use it regularly. I set the stick up so everything works as DX buttons/axis (with shift) and not relying on per-game key maps, and since setting it up I have not had any reason to touch the software again (remebering it does re-flash the device every time you write, and the EEPROM only has approx. 100k write cycles).

While the stick is a little generic, it has enough hats and buttons to cover just about every config of stick out there, which is great for aircraft such as the Jeff where the WH is lacking hats and buttons.

My only criticism is the palm rest is too small, and cuts into the side of my hand. It needs to be much wider/deeper, both to the front and the back, but back particularly.

I have this and their rudder pedals (version IV). Worth every cent!

Edited by Tiger-II

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."