Cinematic Camera's Menu & Automatic Xbox Controller Input Tool

CrowDude

Cinematic Camera's Menu & Automatic Xbox Controller Input Tool

Cameramenuv3.jpg

I was able to make a cinematic cameras menu using steam input, but the steam version of DCS is not required for the tool. When using my tool you can tap once then press down on the d pad of your xbox controller for the camera menu to appear. If you select an option from the camera menu, the tool will switch to that camera and automatically switch the control scheme of the Xbox controller to best manipulate that specific camera type. You should theoretically be able to create a DCS cinematic video without having to the touch keyboard with my tool. 

In Depth Video Tutorial Here: 

A Quick Text Based Guide

This is assuming you own the stand alone version of DCS but if you own the steam version skip to step 3. 

1. Within Steam, enable steam input for xbox controllers. 
  2. Add DCS to steam as a non steam game.
  3. Enable steam overlay while in game: Steam Settings, In Game, Tick Enable steam overlay while in-game.
  4. Enable steam input for DCS (for stand alone users its' the one you just added)
  5. With DCS selected in your games library, click on the controller icon on the far right side. Refer to step 3 if you don't see it. 
  6. With the steam controller input window open, click on browse community layouts. Then under community search "DCS FILMIING"
  7. Apply the highest version number of DCS FILMING created by the user Crow(Me)
  8. If you don't see my layout in the community tab click on show all layouts towards the bottom hopefully you will see it now. 
  9. To test it, load an instant action of any DCS officially created aircraft.
  10. Once in game press escape and make sure to clear out any commands that DCS may have applied to your xbox controller. Clear any commands it applied under the general controls tab and the current aircraft your using or plan to use for film making. 
  11. Tap and hold down on the D pad of the xbox controller for the menu to appear. Move your thumb around the menu then let go on the camera you want to select. You don't need to hold down for the menu to appear to select another camera menu option on the d pad. But the menu helps if want to enter any options that exist in the diagonal selections.
  12. Refer to my most up to date controller input guide image on my DCS user file page in screen shots to understand how manipulate the camera, but its pretty intuitive.

I initially created this tool for members of the flying community I'm apart of but I thought I might as well improve upon it and share it publicly. This is the sort of thing I wished existed for me when I first trying make videos in DCS. So I hope others find it helpful. 

Refer to my DCS user file page below for updates to the steam controller input guide image and denotation of further updates to my tool.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3334129/

I have not had much experience with creating tutorials so hopefully it all make's sense. 

Edited by CrowDude
  • Like 2

I loaded the DCS FILMING V.6 layout. 
Unfortunately, when I try to open the menu, nothing comes up. 
I type and hold the down button on my controller as described. 
I did everything according to your instructions, but unfortunately there is no in-game menu

Edited by RayRay

17 hours ago, RayRay said:

I loaded the DCS FILMING V.6 layout. 
Unfortunately, when I try to open the menu, nothing comes up. 
I type and hold the down button on my controller as described. 
I did everything according to your instructions, but unfortunately there is no in-game menu

Turn on steam big picture mode. Then launch your DCS. While in game press shift tab then open controller options, then re apply my layout.  See if the menu  appears now. I'm thinking your steam some how now never applied the layout even though you told it to. I remember this happened to me one time but I thought it was a fluke, I had to run it in big picture mode then it seemed to work just fine from then on. 

Edited by CrowDude
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Raviar said:

It's awesome, but the "Filming" option doesn't appear in my list, even though I have enabled "Show all...". I am using an Xbox One controller, and I have also tried installing the extended feature support driver.

What type of DCS are you running? Steam version? Stand Alone? Open Beta or Stable? I wonder if I need to add my template to each different game versions. 

Am 5.11.2023 um 07:37 schrieb CrowDude:

Turn on steam big picture mode. Then launch your DCS. While in game press shift tab then open controller options, then re apply my layout.  See if the menu  appears now. I'm thinking your steam some how now never applied the layout even though you told it to. I remember this happened to me one time but I thought it was a fluke, I had to run it in big picture mode then it seemed to work just fine from then on. 

It worked as you described!! 
Steam overlay was deactivated, I activated it and assigned the xbox DCS film assignment again in the game. 
Thank you very much and great job!

Edited by RayRay

21 hours ago, RayRay said:

It worked as you described!! 
Steam overlay was deactivated, I activated it and assigned the xbox DCS film assignment again in the game. 
Thank you very much and great job!

Cool I'm glad its at least working for some people. Don't forget about my input guide image found here https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3334129/  in the screen shots.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi CrowDude. Just wondered if there had been any advances on this? I too cannot find the file listed. Shame we cant use a local file rather than have to rely on the cloud system within steam. Nobody seems to know why it isnt showing.

i'm using the latest steam version openbeta.