Fixed Opencomposite for all the endless info with all headsets mixed together for all vr utilities

Ramstein

basically all the b.s. (machinations of utilities to complete the install to make it work) VR utilities shift the workload from the CPU to the GPU with API's built into the Flight software.. Update. I should have said all the threads I had to wade through had all the different brands of headset, making it too much to sort through. The later Opencomposite versions and older for other sims fixed the issues for me.

and all the threads in the forums for VR help, mix all the brands of headsets with all the utilities to give one headache when trying to find out how to escape SteamVR ! IMHO. (fixed with newer versions and different versions of OpenComposite, depending on which Flight Sim).

was reading trying to find how to better use my Oculus and get the H.. away from SteamVR, and after going through many many, many thread... I give up... I am stuck still using SteamVR one way or the other if I want to continue with my setup.

Edited by Ramstein

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR

What, exactly, have you been reading? I didn't have much difficulty getting DCS running on my Quest 3 without SteamVR. I don't have any personal experience with the other Quest headsets, but assume that they all work about the same and use the same Oculus desktop software and use the same link cable.

Edited by TimberWolf

Sim Rig: Intel 12700KF, MSI RTX4090, 32GB DDR4@3200, Quest 3 headset, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind pedals

4 hours ago, Ramstein said:

basically all the b.s. VR utilities shift the workload from the CPU to the GPU with API's built into the Flight software..

and all the threads in the forums for VR help, mix all the brands of headsets with all the utilities to give one headache when trying to find out how to escape SteamVR ! IMHO

was reading trying to find how to better use my Oculus and get the H.. away from SteamVR, and after going through many many, many thread... I give up... I am stuck still using SteamVR one way or the other if I want to continue with my setup.

What is the problem?

1 - Install DCS Standalone version

2 - Connect your Quest to your PC through your preferred method (cable or Airlink)

3 - Launch DCS

And there you go.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ramstein said:

basically all the b.s. VR utilities shift the workload from the CPU to the GPU with API's built into the Flight software..

and all the threads in the forums for VR help, mix all the brands of headsets with all the utilities to give one headache when trying to find out how to escape SteamVR ! IMHO

Which oculus headset do you have?

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

Oculus Rift S, which works fine (I have been flying with it for a long while), it's the being tied to SteamVR sucks,,, do I really need to say why SteamVR sucks...? I was hoping very much I could just find an alternate to SteamVR. I don't need to learn how to use it... if I wasn't clear. I do use the Mixed Reality with Steam to launch it, which works fine. But am still saddled with SteamVR.

Edited by Ramstein

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

2 hours ago, Ramstein said:

Oculus Rift S, which works fine (I have been flying with it for a long while), it's the being tied to SteamVR sucks,,, do I really need to say why SteamVR sucks...? I was hoping very much I could just find an alternate to SteamVR. I don't need to learn how to use it... if I wasn't clear. I do use the Mixed Reality with Steam to launch it, which works fine. But am still saddled with SteamVR.

I use a rift s and I don’t need to use steam. I have the standalone version of DCS and this just runs through oculus. I agree regarding steam VR. I only kept it for the pico 4 but now don’t need this due to VD having direct access to open XR. With a rift s you don’t need WMR, just launch using oculus. DM me if you want and I can help run you through the setup. 

5 hours ago, Qcumber said:

I use a rift s and I don’t need to use steam. I have the standalone version of DCS and this just runs through oculus. I agree regarding steam VR. I only kept it for the pico 4 but now don’t need this due to VD having direct access to open XR. With a rift s you don’t need WMR, just launch using oculus. DM me if you want and I can help run you through the setup. 

it would crash in DCS without WMR, but that doesn't bother me...I use WMR to launch, how can you use Rift S without SteamVR ? DCS and IL2.

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

9 minutes ago, Ramstein said:

it would crash in DCS without WMR, but that doesn't bother me...I use WMR to launch, how can you use Rift S without SteamVR ? DCS and IL2.

DCS now uses open xr so you just need to open oculus software and make sure oculus is set as the open xr runtime. Are you running DCS from standalone or steam?

IL-2 will require open composite to bypass steam VR. I would advise checking the IL-2 forum for advice on this. 

1 hour ago, Qcumber said:

DCS now uses open xr so you just need to open oculus software and make sure oculus is set as the open xr runtime. Are you running DCS from standalone or steam?

IL-2 will require open composite to bypass steam VR. I would advise checking the IL-2 forum for advice on this. 

Oculus is set to all that.. I have been flying a long time... it all works, I am sick of SteamVR and it's own issues hold me hostage. All my flight sims are stand alone.

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

21 minutes ago, Ramstein said:

Oculus is set to all that.. I have been flying a long time... it all works, I am sick of SteamVR and it's own issues hold me hostage. All my flight sims are stand alone.

I read tons of info and they all say it still requires steam. A long while back I tried other methods and only caused issues. I did download new versions of everything. I will kill all Steam stuff and try it all again and see what happens. Thanx. Not now though. when I can deal with the headache.

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

I ran Opencompsite last night and it did well ! I know I tried the in the past but had bad problems.. maybe they6 fixed something in that time. Thanx.. I still have to try a few things in flight sims to see if it holds up. I need to find out if it still flips to desktop often (not ctd) and can fly il-2. I wish I had tried again sooner. Maybe a couple years went by since last try.

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

Now I remember the issue is IL-2 needs SteamVR (I coud not make it work), seems to be no way around that one.... After a lot more flying, I will say when DCS is good, a couple hours went by without issue Thursday with Composite. I have a lot more flying and aircraft to fly. I will never ever buy anything that needs SteamVR ever again. PIA.

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

51 minutes ago, Ramstein said:

Now I remember the issue is IL-2 needs SteamVR (I coud not make it work), seems to be no way around that one.... After a lot more flying, I will say when DCS is good, a couple hours went by without issue Thursday with Composite. I have a lot more flying and aircraft to fly. I will never ever buy anything that needs SteamVR ever again. PIA.

You shouldn’t need to use open composite anymore with DCS. It now runs natively in open xr through oculus.

IL-2 will need open composite but I think there have been some issues with this recently so you might want to check out the IL-2 forum. 

il-2 you have to use an older opencomposite (Link for that version, 57, is on the IL-2 forums) for it to work, I use that now in IL-2, works fine. so no more SteamVR for any flight sims!! Not for DCS or IL-2. I am free!! never buy another product tied to FaceBook or steam... well maybe a steam game... or maybe not

Edited by Ramstein

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

How come that you use steamvr in the first place?
By default with oculus DCS launches with oculus software, and you need to force it to use steamvr.
Ensure that you have set the default openxr runtime as oculus...it is a setting in the oculus client

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

like I said all is working fine... Oculus rift s makes you use the oculus app, and it had us all using Steamvr when it came out, at that time there were no other options that worked. Now it works fine with Opencomposite.

On 11/10/2023 at 10:04 PM, mbucchia said:

Ah so after all, maybe the utilities aren't so "b.s" huh?

image.png

none of the instructions were clear on switching to the later opencomposite versions,, they mix all the headset brands in all the discussions, and also were not clear on using a version that worked with other flight sims. oNE VERSION DIDN'T WORK WITH ALL.

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

some of you guys are very helpful, others a bit on the mean side... it works now, all my flight sims work really good now with different versions of opencompite. Thank you.

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

28 minutes ago, Ramstein said:

some of you guys are very helpful, others a bit on the mean side... it works now, all my flight sims work really good now with different versions of opencompite. Thank you.

If it's all working for you now that's great. As I offered before, if you need any support with the VR minefield, please let me know. 

On 11/13/2023 at 6:12 PM, Ramstein said:

I think MBucchia whose work is outstanding feels some what protective of his work and was understandably miffed at having someone who did not really understand how it works and how best to use it dissing his project.........

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

ok, so like it said it is working, most of the threads I tried to read on just the oculus were mixed with all the other brands and were a huge mess to dig through. Last time I tried it had issues and refused to work with Steam. It finally worked, but also like I said I fly other combat sims and it had more issues. It is al sorted, although still some issues I have yet to find a solution for. it could be an issue with Nvidia, or maybe not. But am happy the big issues are gone, al is good now. I had to wait a while, because of health before I could fly some more and make a final comment. I was looking for help and found a rats nest of threads with all kinds of info that wasn't clear. There is no place to get definitive help, one has to search everywhere. a real pia. All good now. At least for the Oculus brand.

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

If Oculus had just installed all the proper software in one package and not made us go through all these hoops and crazy, all the hundreds of people who had issues wouldn't been so messed up.. should have been plug and play! That said... If I am around long enough to by another VR it will not be Oculus, meta.. ()(*&*(). I am looking to see which post is the one to check for solved..

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

• Ramstein changed the title to Fixed Opencomposite for all the endless info with all headsets mixed together for all vr utilities

Well, it would help if you knew what you are talking about. Oculus is/was a brand, not a model. Saying that you have issues with your Oculus is like saying you have issues with your Chevrolet. No one will be able to help you since no one will know what specific model you are talking about. And of course you will have problems finding answers because what may work for a Bolt may not work for a Corvette.

Sim Rig: Intel 12700KF, MSI RTX4090, 32GB DDR4@3200, Quest 3 headset, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind pedals

On 11/21/2023 at 11:30 PM, TimberWolf said:

Well, it would help if you knew what you are talking about. Oculus is/was a brand, not a model. Saying that you have issues with your Oculus is like saying you have issues with your Chevrolet. No one will be able to help you since no one will know what specific model you are talking about. And of course you will have problems finding answers because what may work for a Bolt may not work for a Corvette.

He said he was using the rift s in his second post.

• 1 month later...

I found the OTT, Oculus Tray Tool has helped me 100%. My FPS has really upped with it. Simple to use. Been using it a little while, and helps with both DCS and IL-2.

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI