Countermeasures and the jester

Rhrich

Dear forum users,

I’m having a lot of issues with the Jester. 

the way I do it now is to set him to chaff and program, and I do the flares. The issue is that for one, he doesn’t use chaff when needed and two, spikes from long distance - even friendly units - can cause the plane to dispense a lot of chaff. 
(I understand some of this is mimicking a automatic system in the tomcat, but I’m sure any Rio would override that system.) 

I could of course set everything to off and do everything automatically- in fact I would prefer that. But, what do if I’ve set it up to dispense chaff and I suddenly need flares?

How do you who do play alone solve this? Is there a way to bind one button to chaff and another to flares?

I do get that tomcat is a two man team, and that the pilot ordinary only had one button. Having no two seater experience I’m not sure how this is handled, but I suppose if all else fail a shout from the pilot would get the Rio to dispense when needed. 

On 11/14/2023 at 12:04 AM, Rhrich said:

Is there a way to bind one button to chaff and another to flares?

No, that's not possible. I just leave it all on default, which means I launch flares when I need them and don't rely on chaff.

There is some report here:

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

On 11/15/2023 at 10:56 AM, draconus said:

No, that's not possible. I just leave it all on default, which means I launch flares when I need them and don't rely on chaff.

There is some report here:

That seems like a very bad solution? Not yours, but the game.

Not depending on chaff is a huge downer and not acceptable. If the HeatBlur can’t get jester to behave they could surely implement a command to let him dispense either chaff or flares. 

On 11/18/2023 at 11:29 AM, Rhrich said:

That seems like a very bad solution? Not yours, but the game.

Not depending on chaff is a huge downer and not acceptable. If the HeatBlur can’t get jester to behave they could surely implement a command to let him dispense either chaff or flares. 

Well thats how Grumman intended 😉

There is mod for RIO controls in pilot seat, it doesnt break IC. I use it mostly for HCU hooking, CAP info and MLC but it got CMS switch too

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3319633/

It maybe a little outdated though so you might have to copy paste couple lines to notepad code to get newest bindings

Personally, on start up I set Chaff program and I ask jester to use chaff program and then he deploys much more of it, instead of singles. 

• Thanks 2

You can use the Jester wheel to command Jester to give you control of either chaff or flares. This can be cumbersome to use in the heat of battle, but you can bind keys to the relevant command to make it easier. Personally, I use VoiceAttack with Bailey's profile, then you can just say:

"Jester, give me chaff"

or

"Jester, give me flares"

Works pretty well for me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/20/2023 at 10:39 AM, The_Tau said:

There is mod for RIO controls in pilot seat, it doesnt break IC. I use it mostly for HCU hooking, CAP info and MLC but it got CMS switch too

It maybe a little outdated though so you might have to copy paste couple lines to notepad code to get newest bindings

Personally, on start up I set Chaff program and I ask jester to use chaff program and then he deploys much more of it, instead of singles. 

No. Grumman made a plane for a crew two intelligent crewmen in constant communication.
Single seater myself and perhaps that’s why I find it extra frustrating, but I believe that was the correct solution for a plane as complex as the Tomcat with the requirements the USN had. And I believe the Heatblur team mostly have succeeded in getting it to work with only one. 

thanks for the tip, will check it out. 
What’s IC?

On 11/20/2023 at 11:24 PM, Rokkett said:

You can use the Jester wheel to command Jester to give you control of either chaff or flares. This can be cumbersome to use in the heat of battle, but you can bind keys to the relevant command to make it easier. Personally, I use VoiceAttack with Bailey's profile, then you can just say:

"Jester, give me chaff"

or

"Jester, give me flares"

Thank you for the tip. This might be just the one I’m looking for. I’ll have a look if I can find it this weekend. If not, I hope you will allow me to ask for some help in finding them. 

8 hours ago, Rhrich said:

What’s IC?

Integrity check for DCS game files to prevent cheating - some servers can have it turned on.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

On 11/22/2023 at 10:47 AM, draconus said:

Integrity check for DCS game files to prevent cheating - some servers can have it turned on.

Thanks. This is for playing in the internet? I don’t, so then I won’t have to worry about IC?

On 11/20/2023 at 10:39 AM, The_Tau said:

I tried it now. Should perhaps mentioned I’m an old fart. 
Don’t see an executable, do I copy the files to DCS manually? Will it remove my current configuration?

Also, I can’t find a notepad in DCS

On 11/20/2023 at 11:24 PM, Rokkett said:

"Jester, give me chaff"

or

"Jester, give me flares"

How do I bind these commands? I can’t find them. 

2 hours ago, Rhrich said:

This is for playing in the internet? I don’t, so then I won’t have to worry about IC?

Yes, no problem in SP.

On 11/23/2023 at 11:22 AM, Rhrich said:

Don’t see an executable, do I copy the files to DCS manually? Will it remove my current configuration?

Also, I can’t find a notepad in DCS

How do I bind these commands? I can’t find them. 

Its explained in the mod description how to install it, its just text file

image.png

By updating it, i meant open mod file, and open current same file in DCS folder, compare the code in WINDOWS notepad program (or notepad++ <- recommended) and copy to mod text file lines from current HB text file that are missing

Edited by The_Tau

I hope you can forgive an old man boasting a bit.

I took up the DCS on the suggestion of a young pilot when health issues caused me to loose my PPL - the last remnants of my flying. 
Never really cared for computers before, the inner workings of PCs is magic and beside the stuff I had to do at work I've never really found much use for them. (Though I do love my smartphone, so I'm not completly left behind)

Anyway... This is very much outside my thing. 
I first tried to copy your file in, but then I lost the ability to change the brightness on the HUD. So I had to try what you said. But the content of that file made no sense to me whatsoever.

But, I've been quite fascinated by AI and got a subscription to GDP. So I decided to try that. Couldnt do it on the iphone, but luckily the login works in PC as well.
After some trial and error I managed to get it to merge the two "default.lua" in the keyboard folder - my original and the one you provided The Tau. And, it worked! 

The only thing I'm missing now is the ability to bind wing-sweep to an axis, but that might be because i just sort of copied in all your files first.

Anyway, chuffed! Thanks a lot The Tau, this was actually fun!

• Like 1