Question on the Orion 2 experience

shadowborn

Hey everyone.

I sourced myself a (very lightly used) Winwing Orion 2 throttle with F/A-18 grip, and a joystick base with F16 grip (with shake kit and extra button attachment). Price was okay, but more importantly, it was already in the country - I really wished Winwing would ship from inside Europe, then I'd have bought from them directly.

The devices feel great, the stick is precise and all is hefty, marked improvement over my Titanwolf and Thrustmaster 16000 combo.

Just two issues. Maybe someone can advise.

The throttle grip seemingly has a three-position, thumb-operated mode switch. It arrests in the forward position, but not in the backward position. The backward position just snaps back to the middle. This isn't intended, I assume? Does anyone have experience with such issues and Winwing, is there support? The unit is still in warranty according to the seller, was purchased in 2023.

Even more significant to me, the tension adjustment does nothing. I get the hex wrench to engage with the two screws (one for left throttle, one for right). Alas, these screws seem to spin entirely freely. There is no tension change, the screws seem to "wobble" a bit in the holes, and I can turn the screws both into either direction for many, many turns with no resistance whatsoever. I would have assumed they "bite" into something and eventually tighten? I find the tension on the throttle too high, would like to have it move more lightly, especially for helicopter use.

Has anyone opened up an Orion 2 throttle base to take a look inside, or even has insight into this specific issue? Is it reasonably safe to open up the throttle base, or will I be showered with small bits and springs that require the simultaneous action of nine hands to put back together? 🙂

Thanks!!

Edited by shadowborn

"I crash, therefore I am."

A10-C II Tank Killer - AH-64D - AJS-37 Viggen - AV-8B Night Attack V/STOL - Black Shark 3 - F14 Tomcat - F-16C Viper - F5-E Tiger II - F/A-18C - Mi-24P - MiG-21bis - SA342 Gazelle - UH-1H Huey - Flaming Cliffs 3 - Supercarrier - Combined Arms. Caucasus - Mariannas - Nevada - Persian Gulf - Syria. (I might have a module collection problem - send help!!)

HP Reverb G2, Winwing F16EX, Orion 2 w/ F/A-18 Grip, VKB Pedals.

The 3 position switch is as intended. As per the F/A-18

• Like 1

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir

8 hours ago, shadowborn said:

The throttle grip seemingly has a three-position, thumb-operated mode switch. It arrests in the forward position, but not in the backward position. The backward position just snaps back to the middle. This isn't intended, I assume? Does anyone have experience with such issues and Winwing, is there support? The unit is still in warranty according to the seller, was purchased in 2023.

The 3-position switch is a speedbrake switch. You hold it back to open it, and flip it forward to stow. That's how it works in most real aircraft. Some older ones have a two position toggle instead, but then you just leave the momentary position empty. This feature in particular was a huge upgrade for me (from CH), one of the reasons why I wanted a high end throttle.

Even more significant to me, the tension adjustment does nothing. I get the hex wrench to engage with the two screws (one for left throttle, one for right). Alas, these screws seem to spin entirely freely. There is no tension change, the screws seem to "wobble" a bit in the holes, and I can turn the screws both into either direction for many, many turns with no resistance whatsoever. I would have assumed they "bite" into something and eventually tighten? I find the tension on the throttle too high, would like to have it move more lightly, especially for helicopter use.

You're using the wrong hex key and not actually turning the screws. Try the other one (the same one you use to install detents) and make sure it goes straight in. It takes some poking around to get it to engage, but it does work. The friction is set very high out of the box, presumably to secure the levers for transport.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Dragon1-1 said:

ng the wrong hex key and not actually turning the screws. Try the other one (the same one you use to install detents) and make sure it goes straight in. It takes some poking around to get it to engage, but it does work. The friction is set very high out of the box, presumably to secure the levers for transport.

Wow - thank you all so much!!

You must be psychic or something 🙂 I truly believed it was engaging, but it was the wrong hex key indeed. Tried a slightly bigger one, took some poking around but I can now perfectly adjust the tension.

Also very glad to hear about the speed brake switch, this makes sense. I'm very happy now that the purchase does not have any defect - thanks! 🙂

Edited by shadowborn

A10-C II Tank Killer - AH-64D - AJS-37 Viggen - AV-8B Night Attack V/STOL - Black Shark 3 - F14 Tomcat - F-16C Viper - F5-E Tiger II - F/A-18C - Mi-24P - MiG-21bis - SA342 Gazelle - UH-1H Huey - Flaming Cliffs 3 - Supercarrier - Combined Arms. Caucasus - Mariannas - Nevada - Persian Gulf - Syria. (I might have a module collection problem - send help!!)

Yeah, the key is something I ran into, too (took me some time to realize, too, I thought I just couldn't find the screw with the small one). 🙂 The bigger hex key looks like it wouldn't fit in the hole, but it just barely does, and is in fact the right one to use. It's kind of like door handle design which sometimes facilitates people pushing a door that they should be pulling. It's probably worse when you're buying second hand, since the seller might not have included the two original hex keys.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Dragon1-1 said:

Yeah, the key is something I ran into, too (took me some time to realize, too, I thought I just couldn't find the screw with the small one). 🙂 The bigger hex key looks like it wouldn't fit in the hole, but it just barely does, and is in fact the right one to use. It's kind of like door handle design which sometimes facilitates people pushing a door that they should be pulling. It's probably worse when you're buying second hand, since the seller might not have included the two original hex keys.

Oh, quite on the contrary: Since he also bundled two desk clamps and an MFD, he included way too many hex keys. Suspect there might possibly be even extra ones from the odd IKEA furniture item. "Too many" presented the same issues with proper hex key identification as "too few" though 😆

Edited by shadowborn

Winwing does ship from inside Europe now. It's the reason I recently bought their F-16 throttle and it was shipped from Germany. Free shipping, too.

No big complaints about the throttle (or software) for now, except the assembly (with the combination of F-16 and Orion 2) being a real PITA, including mounting it to a chair. Wouldn't have had such trouble with the F-18 grip, I guess (but who wants that when you can get the 16 grip? 😄 ).

Edited by PhiXX
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, PhiXX said:

Winwing does ship from inside Europe now. It's the reason I recently bought their F-16 throttle and it was shipped from Germany. Free shipping, too

That's great news! I'm in Germany, too. Wrote to them about six months ago inquiring about shipping from inside EU, but they pretty much only responded "no we don't". So it's good to see they made that decision after all.