Two Radar Questions: Gimbal Limits and Jester's TV Bingeing

Kageseigi

I'm trying to get the hang of BVR. I've run into two main issues (other than waiting and hoping Jester will find targets when I point my nose at them).

1. Is there any way to view the radar gimbal limits when I'm in STT with an AIM-7 selected?

2. I'm sitting there in the front seat with my Mr. Coffee, trying to watch radar, but Jester seems to constantly keep switching from radar to the TV camera... at the most inopportune moments. I guess he's trying to visually identify the target, but it's extremely annoying to get several multi-second blackouts on my screen in short order... all while I also have the TV camera displaying the target. Is there any way to tell Jester to tone it down with the TV, and let me handle the visual identification? Sure, it may be the RIO's responsibility in reality, but Jester's not quite real.

Thanks 🙂

1 hour ago, Kageseigi said:

I'm trying to get the hang of BVR. I've run into two main issues (other than waiting and hoping Jester will find targets when I point my nose at them).

1. Is there any way to view the radar gimbal limits when I'm in STT with an AIM-7 selected?

2. I'm sitting there in the front seat with my Mr. Coffee, trying to watch radar, but Jester seems to constantly keep switching from radar to the TV camera... at the most inopportune moments. I guess he's trying to visually identify the target, but it's extremely annoying to get several multi-second blackouts on my screen in short order... all while I also have the TV camera displaying the target. Is there any way to tell Jester to tone it down with the TV, and let me handle the visual identification? Sure, it may be the RIO's responsibility in reality, but Jester's not quite real.

Thanks 🙂

1) I don't think there is any way for the pilot to directly view the radar gimbal limits. The RIO can see them on his DDD though.

2) Unfortunately I have no exerpience with Jester, so I'm not sure if there is some way to prevent him from using the TCS to visually identify targets.

Edited by QuiGon
  • Like 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

1. No, but it's easy to imagine and remember how the RWS azimuth limit lines (when scan width is set to ±65) look like.

obraz.png

2. Constantly? He does that from time to time but please... details, video or track. If you only want to watch the TID you can disable Jester in the Jester menu. You'll enable him whenever you need him again but there's no option to prevent him from using the TCS.

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

4 hours ago, Kageseigi said:

Thanks 🙂

From pilot seat?

1. Yes, the VDI. Keep the vertical line of target optimal range inside the VDI screen and its within horizontal gimbal. For vertical gimbal you have to watch the radar elevation on TID repeater

image.png

2. You can snooze jester but they he will stop doing anything. I just got used to him switching to TCS for few seconds. 

3. Remember that Jester is just INTERFACE for radar not AI RIO. He will not find targets for you, you still have to babyseat him telling what elevation to scan  and which target to lock. I strongly suggest using other software like voiceattack so you can talk to jester, it will be much faster than wheel and more immersive

Edited by The_Tau
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, The_Tau said:

From pilot seat?

1. Yes, the VDI. Keep the vertical line of target optimal range inside the VDI screen and its within horizontal gimbal. For vertical gimbal you have to watch the radar elevation on TID repeater

3. Remember that Jester is just INTERFACE for radar not AI RIO. He will not find targets for you, you still have to babyseat him telling what elevation to scan  and which target to lock. I strongly suggest using other software like voiceattack so you can talk to jester, it will be much faster than wheel and more immersive

Thanks, and yes, that makes sense. Do you happen to know of any good tutorials for how to babysit Jester with radar settings? And possibly a rundown of what the different elevation levels of his are specifically (low, high middle, etc.)?

18 hours ago, draconus said:

2. Constantly? He does that from time to time but please... details, video or track. If you only want to watch the TID you can disable Jester in the Jester menu. You'll enable him whenever you need him again but there's no option to prevent him from using the TCS.

More consistently than I care for. Here's a track of me flying straight at a MiG 29 to test. Ignore the flaps (it was due to DCS not recognizing my control inputs until I move them the first time after starting). I believe Jester switched to TV six times between the distances of 33 miles and 11 miles...

JesterTV.trk

5 hours ago, Kageseigi said:

Do you happen to know of any good tutorials for how to babysit Jester with radar settings? And possibly a rundown of what the different elevation levels of his are specifically (low, high middle, etc.)?

• Thanks 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria