Mission 3 Possible Bug?

Overview:

DCS: 2.9.1.48335

Not sure if this is a bug or I am not doing something properly to trigger the event.  During mission 3 Dodge group will break off to engage boghammers attacking a ship.  In the meantime my flight group Roman will engage 4 F5 bandits.

My wingman and I have dispatched the 4 F5 bandits and we are instructed to head toward Dodge group again to provide high level cover.  As we head over you can hear comm chatter from Dodge  .. "guns guns" etc.  The mission seems to end here we approach Dodge and wind up circling endlessly all along Dodge is continuously calling out "guns guns".  To ensure this was not a timing issue I stayed on station circling at 20k feet for roughly 15mins and at no time did Dodge complete the task of destroying the boghammers I can visually still see all of the boghammers.

Is this a bug?  One item in the mission brief states "Use the radar and enter bulls to locate aircraft"  perhaps I am not setting something up.  Are there any known instructions for this? Or is simply stating fly to the bullseye?

Edited by thumperdump
  • Like 1

Hi

Firstly are you running any mods? secondly are you you using stable or open beta.

You should just head to Dodge who should kill all the  boghammers, then the mission proceeds so definitely not normal. 

Does this happen every time? 

I will take a look myself as could be new DCS bug.

Thanks

EDIT: Checked this out, it appears the DCS AI is no longer very good at taking boghammers out with a gun. They are not shooting on some passes. Will fix this by giving them AGM65F's, that works much better. Will update mission for next DCS update.

Thanks for the heads up.

Edited by Badger633

F/A-18C Campaigns : The Serpent’s Head / The Serpent’s Head 2

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

I am running open beta, sorry I should have stated that originally.  I am not running any mods.  Thank you for the update, looks like it may be an Ai limitation/bug.  Thank you for looking into this.  I have played Rise of the Persian Lion I and now II and really enjoy the campaign(s).  

1 hour ago, thumperdump said:

I am running open beta, sorry I should have stated that originally.  I am not running any mods.  Thank you for the update, looks like it may be an Ai limitation/bug.  Thank you for looking into this.  I have played Rise of the Persian Lion I and now II and really enjoy the campaign(s).  

🙂👍 The next Campaign, ' OPERATION GREEN LINE' is on its way.

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

• 4 weeks later...

I see under the latest open beta update DCS 2.9.2.49629 you committed the fix for this issue:

DCS: F/A-18C Rise of the Persian Lion II Campaign by Badger633

• Mission 1: Correct boat name / fix vehicle tracks airport.
  • Mission 3: Bog hammer attack fixed. Safety added to Bog hammers.

However I think there is now another bug with  DCS 2.9.2.49629 and Mission 3. The bug is as follows:

Let me know if I should start a new thread or stick to this one.

* Between Dodge wrapping up their ship check and the distress call, a call is made to engage enemy bandits. I would expect this calll (event) much later after strike has notified me of possible air assets.

* The result is we engage the bandits but my Wingman never does.  I kill off the right most bandits and the left most bandits remain.  I think the event ordering may be causing this.

I have attached a screenshot of the communications that show the out of order events: 

ROTP_II_Mission3.png

Thanks, I will take a look at it. Do you run any mods?  Also do you happen to have Tacview and if so could you send me the Tacview file of the flight. Also did this reoccur on a second attempt or did you just run it once.

Thanks.

There are no mods installed.  Since the DCS update 2.9.2.49629 I have tried a handful of times and all encounter this issue. My test/setup configuration is below:

Case 1: DCS 2.9.2.49629 Open Beta (single thread)

Case 2: DCS 2.9.2.49629 Open Beta (MT thread preview)

In both cases I have seen this issue.  In my original post on this thread I did not encounter this on DCS 2.9.1.48335 Open Beta. I have attached a TACView track file as well as a link to YouTube that demonstrates the event ordering referred to above. Thanks again for looking at this let me know if I can help with anything.

Tacview-20231222-080031-DCS-ROPL2 M3 PLAYING BIG BROTHER.zip.acmi

Thanks @thumperdump so much for the heads up. Yes got the issue this end. Think I have it fixed, but to be honest still do not understand the logic as script should work as it was but doesn't. Think I got it sorted though. Need to do some tests. Thanks for the info most helpful. Will get back to you when I have it sorted.  The wing is attacking now. Apart from this strange activation  too early basically the wing was being told to attack an aircraft that did not yet exists so ignored this command and when the bandit did exist slightly later it was too late as the command had already been given and forgotten.

Cheers 

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks @Biggles81 glad you enjoyed it. Hope you enjoy ROPL2.

The next campaign in line is almost complete. ‘Operation Green Line’. 👍

• Like 2

Thanks.  It's very good so far and it feels like each of your campaigns is a progression.  Quick question on Msn 2 and trying to land a Case 3 on the Harry S. Truman.  Is ACLS working on it?  Have tried once with it and it planted me in the sea.... I know there have been lots of bugs with ACLS on the F18 but I hoped you might save me time and pain and tell me if it's worth trying again.  I hadn't switched to Radar Alt and that might have caused the crash.  Or it might be the dodgy ACLS.  Thoughts appreciated.

Yeah @Biggles81 that is what I have tried to do. Helps you learn in hopefully a fun way.

It may be a bug, all I can say is the mission is set up correctly for ACLS, must admit I always like to come in  flying by the  the seat of my pants. 😀  

I had exact same thing 2 times in a row, into the sea starboard side of carrier. Third attempt it bolstered and 5th I took control as soon as I could see the landing area and dove for deck in a fashion that would have booted out of Navy aviation before g-suit was unzipped.I was told by someone who always claims/seems to know everything and lives on discord to be an ‘oracle’ that it’s a cross wind element from the burble/incorrect wind-carrier line up causing it but I take that with a pinch of salt….

Thanks for the campaigns Badger, not started RPL2 yet, but looking forward to it. Ever thought of branching trying a different jet in future?

Maybe Ford needs an exchange tour to the USAF for a Viper or (when it’s more developed) Strike Eagle deployment….

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hi @Trigati

Will double check winds and course. 

At some point will possibly think of changing but the Hornet gives such an all round ability both on land and sea. So can make quite varied missions. 👍

• Like 1

Yeah, not sure what I can do , it is set up correctly, it might be worth putting an entry in the general DCS bug section.

Hope you got your eye in. 😀👍 

• 3 weeks later...

I think a few of the bugs listed in this thread are still happening during Mission 3.

1- Way too soon the message "I'll take the two on the left, you take the two on the right" is triggered.  I haven't even seen anyone on the radar, plus the messages from Strike, warning you that bogeys have taken off, happen much later. Not sure what triggers it, I think it's when you get close to waypoint 3.

2- My wingman doesn't engage the F5s

3- Dodge stops attacking even with one boat left. I think they run out of ammo and punch out. They were just going in circle doing nothing and I think they both said "I'm out" on the radio. Ended up using my guns to finish that last one and it triggered the end of the mission.

Edited by Sylosis

Windows 10-64bits, i7-8700k, GTX 1080Ti, 32 Gb RAM, MSI Monitor 32in 165Hz.

Mirage 2000C, F5-E, Mig21bis, A10-C, FC3, F-18, AV-8B N/A, F-14, F-16, SuperCarrier

Hi @Sylosis

Issues 1 and 2  have already been fixed and issued to ED. Trouble is there was no update in January so the fix is yet to be released by DCS, hopefully this month. ( This problem was principally caused by a recent DCS bug not interpreting the 'Part of group in zone' trigger correctly. They have now fixed this their end and I also resolved it my end as well.)

Issue 3, your correct sometimes the AI are not as accurate as they should be and do not kill all the bogs, nothing I can do about the AI this is hard wired in the Sim. I have added a safety check which will not allow this to happen and stop the mission. This will be included in the next DCS update.

Hope this helps and thanks for the heads up.

Badger633

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Badger633 said:

Hi @Sylosis

Issues 1 and 2  have already been fixed and issued to ED. Trouble is there was no update in January so the fix is yet to be released by DCS, hopefully this month. ( This problem was principally caused by a recent DCS bug not interpreting the 'Part of group in zone' trigger correctly. They have now fixed this their end and I also resolved it my end as well.)

Issue 3, your correct sometimes the AI are not as accurate as they should be and do not kill all the bogs, nothing I can do about the AI this is hard wired in the Sim. I have added a safety check which will not allow this to happen and stop the mission. This will be included in the next DCS update.

Hope this helps and thanks for the heads up.

Badger633

Gotcha! Sorry, I assumed for some reason the update had already been pushed. My bad!

As for the AI that is what I thought and maybe I should have worded it differently. It's indeed not really a bug and luckily there was only one left and I had not used my gun for the F5, so I had enough left for one boat. 

Edited by Sylosis
  • Like 1

Windows 10-64bits, i7-8700k, GTX 1080Ti, 32 Gb RAM, MSI Monitor 32in 165Hz.

Mirage 2000C, F5-E, Mig21bis, A10-C, FC3, F-18, AV-8B N/A, F-14, F-16, SuperCarrier

• 1 month later...