Stop head tracking of cursor - use mouse only instead?

FoxFlier

I've seen this mentioned (with no solution) in Steam many times but can't find anything here.

I've just added the A10-C2  - which is my first full module - and am incredibly frustrated that the cockpit cursor remains locked to the VR which makes it very hard to select controls with a mouse click when flying. I'd much prefer to be able to control the cursor using the mouse or a mini-joystick and not use the VR head position at all.

(How) can this be achieved (?)

TIA

It has been asked many times to decouple the VR and mouse movement, I don’t believe it is possible.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Set a hotas button to toggle the cursor on and off (general settings for each module) and use joytokey (3rd party software) to bind a button to recentre the mouse. Then tick the "use mouse" box in VR and you get the best of both worlds. 

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

Does "best of both worlds" mean that mouse movement is added to head movement to determine the cursor position relative to the cockpit ? I think that it is precisely what OP's is trying to avoid.

To explain it differently, the desired behaviour is that the (physical) mouse is a metaphor of your hand. In the real world, you can do one thing with your head while doing another one indepently with your hand: you can point your hand at a control and keep it there even if you gaze around. For instance, if you put the mouse cursor (blue cross) on, say, a TACAN course knob, it should stay there if you move your head (and VR headset) ever so slightly to look at the course needle on the HSI dial or MFD while you turn the knob. The cursor (your virtual hand) should only quit the knob if you move your physical mouse. That is what OP's and others would like to achieve, for more natural control. That is how it works in MSFS.

It would be nice if ED could add an option to get that behaviour (without removing the current one, which some do prefer, because it allows to point and click without using the mouse just by looking at a control and binding a couple of HOTAS buttons to replace mouse left click/mouse right click).

• Like 2

5800X3D - 6950XT - Pico 4

• 1 month later...
On 11/25/2023 at 2:01 PM, mrsylvestre said:

Does "best of both worlds" mean that mouse movement is added to head movement to determine the cursor position relative to the cockpit ? I think that it is precisely what OP's is trying to avoid.

To explain it differently, the desired behaviour is that the (physical) mouse is a metaphor of your hand. In the real world, you can do one thing with your head while doing another one indepently with your hand: you can point your hand at a control and keep it there even if you gaze around. For instance, if you put the mouse cursor (blue cross) on, say, a TACAN course knob, it should stay there if you move your head (and VR headset) ever so slightly to look at the course needle on the HSI dial or MFD while you turn the knob. The cursor (your virtual hand) should only quit the knob if you move your physical mouse. That is what OP's and others would like to achieve, for more natural control. That is how it works in MSFS.

It would be nice if ED could add an option to get that behaviour (without removing the current one, which some do prefer, because it allows to point and click without using the mouse just by looking at a control and binding a couple of HOTAS buttons to replace mouse left click/mouse right click).

Well described, I fully agree, we need that option.

On 11/25/2023 at 2:01 PM, mrsylvestre said:

@BIGNEWY, here is better description what we need. It is what I asked in another topic.