Shouldn't ASL point to TGT when using an offset?

LastRifleRound

How do you know that?

I ask because that would be counter to every other implementation of offsets, including those in other Navy aircraft and other aircraft made by the same manufacturer, it disagrees with the TACMAN for the Hornet, and it doesn't pass the common sense test. At this point, I would have to say unless there is strong affirmative evidence suggesting otherwise, my assertion is the most likely to be correct.

Every other instance of offsets (just look at old youtube videos to confirm) was assumed to be for CAS scenarios and it wasn't true. That just turned out to be backwards rationalization, and not sourced from any documentation (I'm talking Mirage, Tomcat, Harrier and Viper). I'm guessing the Hornet likely isn't the only aircraft that's going to buck this trend.

On 11/30/2023 at 1:57 AM, Poptart said:

That's what offsets are for in the F-15E but not the Hornet. As far as I can tell its primary purpose is for things like CAS where you need to target something from a known reference (e.g. a waypoint). 

You can tell from DCS...which is wrong... 

On 11/30/2023 at 12:27 AM, LastRifleRound said:

The point of an offset is to resolve a target or waypoint location using an easily referenced feature relative to that waypoint/target. Right now in the Hornet, offsets just act like waypoints you access differently. If you have bombs loaded, Offset designated, shouldn't the ASL point to the target?

Are you then pressing O/S?

Edited by Hulkbust44

4 hours ago, Hulkbust44 said:

You can tell from DCS...which is wrong... 

The way it functions in the game is the same way it functions in NATOPS. The only thing that isn't implemented is INS updates. 

Edited by Poptart

On 12/1/2023 at 11:36 PM, Poptart said:

The way it functions in the game is the same way it functions in NATOPS. The only thing that isn't implemented is INS updates. 

You're misreading it. It says an offset aimpoint is a waypoint with an offset associated with it, meaning OAP is the waypoint that has the offset as opposed to the Viper where the OAP is the offset itself.

Further reinforcing this, it says OAPs can be entered using map slew, but the offset must still be entered through the UFC.

Therefore, in the Hornet, OAP is just another name for a waypoint, except that waypoint has an offset associated with it.

Further, NATOPS actually supports my assertion when describing how nav updating works. "Also, the next waypoint in succession becomes designated or, in the case of an OAP, the offset becomes designated. There is no ACPT/REJ display in the AUTO update mode." When updating an OAP with an overfly, the offset is designated, NOT the OAP itself. This is describing the same process as the Viper's VIP, and more similarly to the Harrier's W/OS procedure (same manufacturer, unsurprising).

Then there's the description of NAVDSG, which says you should designate the OAP position (easily recognizable feature) then press "O/S" to add the offset to it, which will then indicate the target position. 

It appears right now, doing a nav designation designates the waypoint, when you slew to something else and then hit "O/S", you will find that the offset has been changed to match the designation, so it will appear in your sensors as if nothing has happened. This is backwards and appears to be a bug. According to NATOPS, you waypoint designate, slew to where your OAP should be, then hit O/S and you should be looking at the target, as the O/S should be applied to whatever you have designated. Instead, you'll find if you watch the data page it simply changed the offset position to match what you just designated.

@Hulkbust44 are you seeing the same thing? I'm going to make a bug report if that's the case. We can't source TACMAN, but I'm pretty sure we can source NATOPS on here.

Edited by LastRifleRound