Missiles range comparison

topol-m

A pretty nice dispute has shaped up around here that i`m following with interest. Vault i liked that proverb, unfortunately i can`t +rep you for every post as it says that i should spend some reputation around first.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 8 months later...
I think it's about estimation and it is a very important skill for every engineer and not only for them.

Oh thread was resurrected :).

Precisely. The first thing you learn on any kind of scientific or engineering education

is the skill or whatever you want to call it to make decent estimations.

To be able to pick the parameters which "matter the most".

Then you can present data such as " this simulation is valid within .... to an estimated

error of ....%" where that is a statistical error analysis for example.

You cannot define a simulation as "perfect" or "accurate to the ...", because no such

simulation exists today and NO SUCH natural law has been observed to this date.

You have models. These models are valid within certain limits, and to a certain degree,

deal with it :P.

Thread necro ftw

sidenote : Kopp is wrong on basically all R27 ranges... Why ?

Because I and several others here including ED have the actual employment manual for aircraft carrying such missiles,

and guess what ? .... you figure out the rest

Oh and...CRAP! we also got the actual test data of aim9L accelleration and flight profile....and ? ... its energy is surprisingly similar to lockon aim120 ;)

Edited by =RvE=Yoda

S = SPARSE(m,n) abbreviates SPARSE([],[],[],m,n,0). This generates the ultimate sparse matrix, an m-by-n all zero matrix. - Matlab help on 'sparse'

hece the name ramWINDER, its not invented for nothing. :D

As FC 2.0 aproaches we will be seeing more of this drama, "my missiles are worse than his".

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Oh thread was resurrected :).

Precisely. The first thing you learn on any kind of scientific or engineering education

is the skill or whatever you want to call it to make decent estimations.

Oops, I did it again :music_whistling: I just thought everybody went their own ways too peacefuly :devil_2:

Re FC 2.0 - has at least majority of the missile and sensors tweaks that, according to your knowledge ED testers, should be done made their way to FC 2.0? Can you provide us with some examples?

I can give you one example:

The sidewinder was corrected to have the correct burn time and higher speed than what you have in LOFC, making it a much more credible threat. It also sports an extended fuze.

Most IRH missiles had their iFoV tweaked so that they will most likely not be able to find a target if launched without seeker lock either.

All missiles were tweaked to try and make them behave more realistically, but as always, there will be caveats.

Edited by GGTharos

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Thank you. Two more questions if you don't mind:

1. WAFM - will advanced FM for A2A and A2G missiles be used in FC 2.0? I'm asking because I couldn't find the info regarding DCS BS. I know only of unguided rockets and bombs and gun/cannon projectiles.

2. Do you think that FC 2.0 will improve A2A combat experience in LO by the same degree FC did?

Thank you. Two more questions if you don't mind:

1. WAFM - will advanced FM for A2A and A2G missiles be used in FC 2.0? I'm asking because I couldn't find the info regarding DCS BS. I know only of unguided rockets and bombs and gun/cannon projectiles.

No, WAFM will be a DCS feature I believe, although a lot of the DCS weapons currently WAFM'ed (rockets, Vikhr, some bombs, IIRC, and guns) should be available as such in FC2. Don't quote me on it, but I believe this is the case.

2. Do you think that FC 2.0 will improve A2A combat experience in LO by the same degree FC did?
It will change a lot of BVR combat IMHO. To some people there will be no difference (either they will die as they always did, or survive as they always did) but I think there will be some difference for people who were used to 'easy missile ditching' that did not resemble reality. Again, there will still be caveats, but missile threats should be quite a bit more credible now.
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda