steering

joojoo

Hey to all!

I try steer with Apache. When I try to unlock the tail wheel, it steers very abruptly and I cannot stop it. When I try with steer lock it steers but again sometimes it steers very rapidly and I cannot taxi in a straight pattern. I have to mention that I don't use pedals. I use trimming button for steering.

Any idea? 

Edited by joojoo

You need to use rudder to counteract the forces from the tail rotor. When you lock the tail wheel again, it won't actually lock until you roll forwards with it straight ahead. 

Try unlocking the tail wheel before you pull any collective, counter that and slowly increase collective to see how much rudder you need. 

Edited by ruiner_
  • Like 2

You need pedal control for steering. If you don‘t have pedals, you might have a joystick with twistgrip you can assign pedal axes to?
Also note that neutral pedal position, when the helo wouldn’t spin around, is not in centered position in the AH-64D, but with a bit right pedal applied.

DCS MT 2.9.4.53707
Modules: UH-1H - SA342 - KA-50 BS3 - MI-24P - MI-8MTV2 - AH-64D - CH-47F(Preorder) - UH-60L(Mod) - A-10CII - F-16C - F/A-18C - FC3 -Combined Arms
 - Supercarrier - NTTR - Normandy2.0 - Persian Gulf - Syria - SA - Sinai - Afghanistan(Preorder) — Waiting for: OH-58D - BO-105 - AH-1G/F(Mod) - OH-6(Mod) - Kola  - Australia - Iraq

DCS-Client: 10900K, 64GB 3600, RTX3090, 500GB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCS), VR VivePro2, PointCTRL, VaicomPro, Wacom Intuos S with VRK v2Beta

DCS-DServer: 11600KF, 32GB 3600, GTX1080, 1TB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCSDServer), DCS Olympus

Simpit: NLR Flightsim Pro, TM Warthog Grip with 30cm Extension + Throttle, VPforce Rhino FFB, Komodo Pedals with Dampers, VPC Rotorplus+CBkit+AH-64D Grip, NLR HF8, Buttkicker (3*MiniConcert), TotalControls AH64D MPD‘s, TM 2*MFD‘s, Streamdecks (1*32,3*15,1*6), VPC CP#1

On 12/6/2023 at 5:51 PM, corbu1 said:

You need pedal control for steering. If you don‘t have pedals, you might have a joystick with twistgrip you can assign pedal axes to?
Also note that neutral pedal position, when the helo wouldn’t spin around, is not in centered position in the AH-64D, but with a bit right pedal applied.

Isn't it the left pedal?

On 12/7/2023 at 7:04 AM, admiki said:

I think that's true for all helicopters?

No, the Gazelle for example the blades spin the other way so right pedal is required.

(and it is left pedal required for the Apache)

Edited by DD_Friar

Visit the Dangerdogz at www.dangerdogz.com. We are a group based on having fun (no command structure, no expectations of attendance, no formal skills required, that is not to say we can not get serious for special events, of which we have many). We play DCS and IL2 GBS. We have two groups one based in North America / Canada and one UK / Europe. Come check us out. 

I was not speaking of applying pedal on liftoff, which is left pedal input in AH-64 as a rotor counterclockwise rotating helo.

I was speaking of neutral pedal position on the ground for steering as the OP asked. Neutral pedal position is right pedal a bit applied. Otherwise helo will start spinning on the ground when unlocking tailwheel and parking brake released.

DCS MT 2.9.4.53707
Modules: UH-1H - SA342 - KA-50 BS3 - MI-24P - MI-8MTV2 - AH-64D - CH-47F(Preorder) - UH-60L(Mod) - A-10CII - F-16C - F/A-18C - FC3 -Combined Arms
 - Supercarrier - NTTR - Normandy2.0 - Persian Gulf - Syria - SA - Sinai - Afghanistan(Preorder) — Waiting for: OH-58D - BO-105 - AH-1G/F(Mod) - OH-6(Mod) - Kola  - Australia - Iraq

DCS-Client: 10900K, 64GB 3600, RTX3090, 500GB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCS), VR VivePro2, PointCTRL, VaicomPro, Wacom Intuos S with VRK v2Beta

DCS-DServer: 11600KF, 32GB 3600, GTX1080, 1TB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCSDServer), DCS Olympus

Simpit: NLR Flightsim Pro, TM Warthog Grip with 30cm Extension + Throttle, VPforce Rhino FFB, Komodo Pedals with Dampers, VPC Rotorplus+CBkit+AH-64D Grip, NLR HF8, Buttkicker (3*MiniConcert), TotalControls AH64D MPD‘s, TM 2*MFD‘s, Streamdecks (1*32,3*15,1*6), VPC CP#1

2 hours ago, DD_Friar said:

No, the Gazelle for example the blades spin the other way so right pedal is required.

(and it is left pedal required for the Apache)

Missed the point. It's not about left/right pedal, but the central pedals position does not equate neutral.