Blurry until zoomed in

Tango777

I have the majority of the settings set pretty high compared to where they were set at after I installed DCS, but even though my computer handles DCS or DCS MT without any hit to the FPS regardless as to how high the settings are with DLSS turned on, things still look blurry (similar to heat blur behind the engines) UNTIL I zoom in or get close to an object. This also happens in the cockpit because if I zoom in on some instruments, then the blurry effect almost goes away.

When I turn DLSS off the blur goes away if I am in the cockpit but the FPS takes a huge hit. All graphics from inside the cockpit are great, but when I switch to an outside view the graphics are horrible except the airplane as the airplane looks great. But the ground and sky from an outside view are as if I have all graphic settings set to the lowest possible setting possible and the FPS are still getting hammered as if I have every setting turned to the max.

I have tampered around with the settings the best I know how and I cannot get this annoying visual problem figured out.

If anyone can point me in the right direction as to what is causing this, I would be very grateful!

My specs are: i7-13700F - 32GB DDR5 RAM - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060Ti 16GB - 2TB NVMe SSD - Windows 11

Edited by Tango777

i7-13700F - 32GB DDR5 RAM - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060Ti 16GB - 2TB NVMe SSD - Windows 11

25 minutes ago, Tango777 said:

I have the majority of the settings set pretty high compared to where they were set at after I installed DCS, but even though my computer handles DCS or DCS MT without any hit to the FPS regardless as to how high the settings are, things still look blurry (similar to heat blur behind the engines) UNTIL I zoom in or get close to an object. This also happens in the cockpit because if I zoom in on some instruments, then the blurry effect almost goes away.

I have tampered around with the settings the best I know how and I cannot get this annoying visual problem figured out.

If anyone can point me in the right direction as to what is causing this, I would be very grateful!

My specs are: i7-13700F - 32GB DDR5 RAM - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060Ti 16GB - 2TB NVMe SSD - Windows 11

Check inside nVidia control panel settings under Manage 3D Settings, if texture filter quality is set to performance this can affect quality of pit textures adversely.

Edited by Mustang

5 minutes ago, Mustang said:

Check inside nVidia control panel settings under Manage 3D Settings, if texture filter quality is set to performance this can affect quality of pit textures adversely.

I just did and it is set to Quality which is the lowest setting.

i7-13700F - 32GB DDR5 RAM - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060Ti 16GB - 2TB NVMe SSD - Windows 11

No bug. That's how DLSS works.

DLSS will always blur the picture. To some degree, you can try to use the sharpening inside the DCS settings, but you will always stay with blur, no matter how much you raise the sharpening slider. It's a part of the nature of DLSS. 😉

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X3D, System-RAM: 64 GB DDR5, GPU: nVidia 4090, Monitor: LG 38" 3840*1600, VR-HMD: Pimax Crystal, OS: Windows 11Pro, 2*2TB Samsung M.2 SSD, HOTAS: TM Warthog, Paddles: MfG.

So it chooses to blur when outside the airplane but not blur objects from inside the airplane?

Why do the fps take a massive hit when DLSS is turned off?

I am attaching a screenshot.

Blur-from-outside.jpg

Edited by Tango777

30 minutes ago, Tango777 said:

Why do the fps take a massive hit when DLSS is turned off?

DLSS works by upscaling a lower resolution image, trading quality for performance. The best quality setting for DLSS is Off. You’ll get lower FPS but higher quality. If you have Depth of Field or Motion Blur on, try turning them off. 

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

2 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

DLSS works by upscaling a lower resolution image, trading quality for performance. The best quality setting for DLSS is Off. You’ll get lower FPS but higher quality. If you have Depth of Field or Motion Blur on, try turning them off. 

Thanks for the replies here, they helped somewhat.

I have dialed many settings way down and I am getting a type of stuttering effect, and I do not know why. I am still in the F-18, so it is not like a graphics hog like the F-14.

I am attaching my settings a screen shot of my settings.

This is a new pc and it is light years ahead, and has so much more "horsepower", of my old pc and my old pc did not have this stuttering type effect:

DCS-Settings.jpg

I would turn on some form of antialiasing otherwise you’ll see jaggies along edges and such. I think most people find DLAA to work really well and it eliminates the shimmering effect from terrain. You have a pretty strong CPU so anything related to that you could run rather high without trouble, try secondary shadows on. Anisotropic filtering has very little cost to turn up either. Vsync is good to have on since it eliminates tearing, try setting this to Fast in Nvidia Control Panel and Off in the game. 

• Like 1

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

On 12/11/2023 at 7:16 AM, SharpeXB said:

I would turn on some form of antialiasing otherwise you’ll see jaggies along edges and such. I think most people find DLAA to work really well and it eliminates the shimmering effect from terrain. You have a pretty strong CPU so anything related to that you could run rather high without trouble, try secondary shadows on. Anisotropic filtering has very little cost to turn up either. Vsync is good to have on since it eliminates tearing, try setting this to Fast in Nvidia Control Panel and Off in the game. 

SharpeXB,

Thank you so much! I did what you said and everything works now, and the FPS are smooth as glass!

Tango777

Edited by Tango777