using Reverb G2 in DCS

fitness88

I've been able to use Reverb G2 in DCS by replacing the openvr_api.dll in my bin folder after each DCS update with a new downloaded version of this file that allowed the G2 to work with DCS as well I added --force_enable_VR --force_OpenXR to a shortcut pointing to to DCS.exe in the bin folder [not the bin-mt folder] and everything worked very well until I started up yesterday after an absence of several months.  I have been doing my updates regularly from DCS.  Now after being away from the sim for awhile I am no longer able to run my G2 in VR.  The sim starts in VR but when I put my headset on nothing responds... it says to press win+y to use the desktop.  I've read a lot about native compatibility very recently with DCS and G2 but I'm reading different solutions.  Can someone please let me know the actual procedure in place and what I should do about the downloaded openvr_api.dll file in the bin folder and the --force_enable_VR --force_OpenXR switch in the DCS.exe in the bin folder.

Thank you.

Screenshot 2023-12-11 183623.png

well I have a G2 and I only use this in the target line: " --force_enable_VR "  that is it and I do not even have enable VR in the DCS options checked..

You do not need the line for Open xr or any files either.. you will know if it is using OpenXR as the screen that first comes up is the blue screen then dissapearing into trianlges. if it is a black screen that is Steam VR still..

Edited by The_Nephilim
added quotes
  • Like 2

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4-AC / Intel i7 11700K @ 5.0Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVME 2TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar  / Buttkicker Gamer 2

7 minutes ago, The_Nephilim said:

well I have a G2 and I only use this in the target line: " --force_enable_VR "  that is it and I do not even have enable VR in the DCS options checked..

You do not need the line for Open xr or any files either.. you will know if it is using OpenXR as the screen that first comes up is the blue screen then dissapearing into trianlges. if it is a black screen that is Steam VR still..

Thanks for the reply.  Is the DCS version I'm using the correct version as it does not say beta...see OP photo.  The blue screen disappearing into triangles I thought was only when I use msfs.  It loads into VR but my button for centering the screen doesn't work and I get the banner press win+y to use the desktop.

22 minutes ago, The_Nephilim said:

Tried it... doesn't work for me.  Are you using the beta version DCS?...I don't think my install is.

Edited by fitness88

Yes, Stable and Beta are both the same currently. I am using Open beta but it is the same version you have.. it sounds like you have auto senosr on try setting it to manual in the Windows settings, mixed reality page..

so are you getting the blue triangles or the black ones?

Edited by The_Nephilim

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4-AC / Intel i7 11700K @ 5.0Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVME 2TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar  / Buttkicker Gamer 2

4 minutes ago, The_Nephilim said:

Yes, Stable and Beta are both the same currently. I am using Open beta but it is the same version you have.. it sounds like you have auto senosr on try setting it to manual in the Windows settings, mixed reality page..

This is what I have set up...what should it be?

Screenshot 2023-12-11 223654.png

Edited by fitness88

yes change input switching to manual try that

12 minutes ago, The_Nephilim said:

yes change input switching to manual try that

Tried it but no luck.  Does the openvr_api.dll need to be changed as I have been using the old G2 fix for DCS?

What is the bin-mt folder with dcs.exe?  Which do I use to start up?

Edited by fitness88

beforewe go any further what exactly is your issue here? you do not need that file an longer. the bin Mt is in the dcs folder like the bin folder is. if you are using VR I would try the Multi thread or single thread it really does not matter just whatever one works better for you..

6 minutes ago, The_Nephilim said:

beforewe go any further what exactly is your issue here? you do not need that file an longer. the bin Mt is in the dcs folder like the bin folder is. if you are using VR I would try the Multi thread or single thread it really does not matter just whatever one works better for you..

Let me get back to you, it seems since last time using dcs Vr things have changed from the original fix.

ok let me know I will try and keep an eye on this thread..

It might be worth doing a repair on your DCS install, and getting it to remove any non-DCS files too. (This would probably get rid of the .dll that you changed in the process, which might have a good chance of getting things sorted out for you).

Also, do you have skatezilla's updater / launcher? That allows you to launch DCS with VR on or Off, and choose a number of other things in the process without having to fiddle with command line parameters, etc.

53 minutes ago, Dangerzone said:

It might be worth doing a repair on your DCS install, and getting it to remove any non-DCS files too. (This would probably get rid of the .dll that you changed in the process, which might have a good chance of getting things sorted out for you).

Also, do you have skatezilla's updater / launcher? That allows you to launch DCS with VR on or Off, and choose a number of other things in the process without having to fiddle with command line parameters, etc.

Yes I'm thinking it may be repair time thanks...where are the instructions for repair?

17 minutes ago, fitness88 said:

Yes I'm thinking it may be repair time thanks...where are the instructions for repair?

Skateziller update has it built in. In all seriousness - I think getting that Skatezilla utility will be your friend. Even me (who does everything in command prompts normally and has no issues with manual execution of instructions), still uses SkateZilla for launching DCS. It's an all-in-one impressive toolkit. I think it will help you out here. 

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/134493-the-dcs-updater-launcher-gui-utility-version-20-2023

Edited by Dangerzone

Here is what I see on my monitor when I put on my G2...all I see through my G2 is my vr mixed reality home page.

Screenshot 2023-12-12 002608.png

6 minutes ago, Dangerzone said:

Skateziller update has it built in. In all seriousness - I think getting that Skatezilla utility will be your friend. Even me (who does everything in command prompts normally and has no issues with manual execution of instructions), still uses SkateZilla for launching DCS. It's an all-in-one impressive toolkit. I think it will help you out here. 

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/134493-the-dcs-updater-launcher-gui-utility-version-20-2023

Thanks I'll read into it tomorrow...thanks again.

Edited by fitness88

Screenshot 2023-12-12 022220.png

I did a repair and was able to get VR working, I noticed the openvr_api.dll was replaced by a new one during the repair.  Should I be using the bin-mt dcs.exe or the bin dcs.exe?  Also what should the .exe properties be set at see above.

Edited by fitness88

I am using the ReverbG2 without issue running SteamVr as OpenXR. Why would you want to change this?

X-Plane 11.5x / DCS 2.5.6 / P3Dv5 / Aerofly FS 2 / War Thunder

Win10-x64 | ASUS Z390 Maximus VI | Intel i7-9700K @3.6GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 2TB M2 PCI 4x | ASUS GTX 1080 ROG STRIX 8GB DDR5X | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Oculus Rift S

10 hours ago, fitness88 said:

Should I be using the bin-mt dcs.exe or the bin dcs.exe?  

bin-mt dcs.exe

There is actually no longer any need to use target lines, edit parameters or use any outside files, just link your shortcut to the  bin-mt dcs.exe and the game will automatically start in Open XR and VR if your G2 is connected. No need to do anything else.

Edited by Joch1955

Umm mine started acting up and went to black screen just after another bloody windows update, a few days ago.
It wouldnt wake up nor be recognised.
I reinstalled OpenXR for windowsMixed reality then saw a post of the wake up causing problems, so I turned this off so the G2 never goes to sleep.
I have it all working again.

Just my 2 cents worth

Regards

Edited by Marshallman

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz   Turbo 5.1 GHz, Asus Prime Motherboard B460M-A, Nvidia Geoforce RTX4090, 64gB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR 3600Mhz,Windows 10 Pro Reverb G2V2

15 hours ago, muehlema said:

I am using the ReverbG2 without issue running SteamVr as OpenXR. Why would you want to change this?

From what I've read, it's the overhead and OpenXR is faster.

5 hours ago, Joch1955 said:

bin-mt dcs.exe

There is actually no longer any need to use target lines, edit parameters or use any outside files, just link your shortcut to the  bin-mt dcs.exe and the game will automatically start in Open XR and VR if your G2 is connected. No need to do anything else.

Thanks Joch1955...I'll try doing as you say because it's still a bit of hit and miss when starting up DCS. 

1. What is the difference between bin-mt dcs.exe and bin dcs.exe?
  2. Also do you mean this is not necessary in the shortcut... --force_enable_VR --force_OpenXR?
  3. What about...to check them off or uncheck?

Screenshot 2023-12-12 022220.png

Edited by fitness88

3 hours ago, fitness88 said:

From what I've read, it's the overhead and OpenXR is faster.

1. Bin.MT is the multicore EXE and the other is the single core EXE..

2. well I know for sure the last line is not needed for the shortcut, I use the 1st one to enable VR but he says neither is needed.. so I guess they are not required any longer.

3. you do not need to check any of those..

31 minutes ago, The_Nephilim said:

1. Bin.MT is the multicore EXE and the other is the single core EXE..

2. well I know for sure the last line is not needed for the shortcut, I use the 1st one to enable VR but he says neither is needed.. so I guess they are not required any longer.

3. you do not need to check any of those..

Thanks, I'll try it out a bit later and report back.

3 hours ago, fitness88 said:

Thanks, I'll try it out a bit later and report back.

Now I get SteamVR starting up when I click on the DCS shortcut...when I put on the headset I see the dcs start menu but mouse and all controls are frozen.

Additionally...just uninstalled SteamVR so it doesn't appear anymore but still have frozen start screen.

Screenshot 2023-12-12 213015.png

Edited by fitness88