A2G HRM on Airfields broken in several maps

Kondor77

Hey all, 

Spent a good amount of time last night testing on all the maps currently in game. If you try to HRM an airfield, it will come up as a featureless body of water (sometimes the hangars pop up - but the rest of the airfield complex will just be black, no runway lines, etc). Currently this is a bug on the following maps:

• Marianas
  • Normandy
  • Channel
  • South Atlantic

HRM currently works as it should on the following maps:

• Caucasus
  • PG
  • Syria
  • Sinai
  • Nevada

Pretty easy to replicate, all testing was done offline in an empty mission on air start F15Es. Seems to be an issue with how these maps are built with how the A2G radar draws the picture.

For example, I tried the broken maps with the F16 A2G radar (knowing full well it's limitations compared to the 15), but the airfields at least still showed up. 

• Like 2

Whilst not the exact same problem, AG radar issues are not just limited to the F-15E. I just took an EXP3 map of Tonopha in the Hornet, and it was crystal clear (as much as the F-18 gets anyway), try that at Anderson and it’s just a blurry, faded, shadow of an image.

At least for the Marianas, it’s been like that since release. I’m actually surprised it’s not a more discussed issue, as it really needs to be solved.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, norman99 said:

Whilst not the exact same problem, AG radar issues are not just limited to the F-15E. I just took an EXP3 map of Tonopha in the Hornet, and it was crystal clear (as much as the F-18 gets anyway), try that at Anderson and it’s just a blurry, faded, shadow of an image.

At least for the Marianas, it’s been like that since release. I’m actually surprised it’s not a more discussed issue, as it really needs to be solved.

Good to know! It definitely is some sort of map mesh issue, which then depends on how individual modules have their A2G radar modeled. Hopefully a dev somewhere can chime in...

• Like 1

Am 13.12.2023 um 17:14 schrieb Kondor77:

Good to know! It definitely is some sort of map mesh issue, which then depends on how individual modules have their A2G radar modeled. Hopefully a dev somewhere can chime in...

There is more afoot with the AG radar 

hence this: 

and, subsequently, this thread: 

I’m trying to single out the possible error source but it’s kind of hard 

Hi again,

I had some time to revisit this and take screenshots this time. Simple air start in position to HRM the AB. 

Sinai Map (currently functional) Bir Hasanah Airfield

Sinai_Bir_Hasanah.png

Marianas Map (Currently FUBAR) Saipan

Marianas_SaipanAB.png

Marianas_SaipanAB2.png

nullMarianas_SaipanF10.pngnull

As we can see, it's defining the entire airfield area as 'water'. Perfectly matching the F10 map in the 3rd picture. This to me looks to be a mesh issue with some maps, and how the A2G radar does its mapping. For example, here's the same issue on the South Atlantic Map for Mount Pleasant. 

South Atlantic Map (FUBAR) Mount Pleasant

SA_MP_HRM_10.png

SA_MP_HRM_4.png

SA_MP_F10.png

If you'd like me to attach the .miz files or .trks I can do so, but this is so easily reproduced that I didn't bother to save either. 

Edited by Kondor77

Yes, it seems like the grass zones of the airport are tagged as runway ground, and this is how we compute the ground reflectivity. Will be investigated, but might be tricky to solve on the radar side, it would be easier to have ground type flagging more standard across maps

• Like 3