What is the simplest way to get a ground unit to start firing?

_Defi
Go to solution Solved by razo+r,

I have placed a MLRS BM-12 Grad inside a coalition airport (RED) which has a supply icon there. 

I have activated a "Fire at Point" Task, selected a point within its radius and have set Weapon to AUTO and Rounds Expend to 5.

In the Trigger Menu I have entered two triggers.

One trigger to activate AI of the specific Unit after 2 seconds.
One trigger to active AI Task Push (Ground Unit - Fire at Point) after 5 seconds.

However when I enter the mission the BM21 is just idling and not doing anything. I want it to start launching rockets at the point and perform its task.

What am I doing wrong?

Ground units have a setup/deploy time. Turn on time acceleration and take note of when they start to shoot. I know for SCUDs it's on the order of 10 minutes.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

33 minutes ago, razo+r said:

The easiest way to get a unit to fire is to place it down and in the advanced waypoints give it fire at point task. No triggers needed.

Remember, artillery in DCS takes 3 minutes to aim before they shoot.

Oh really? is the setup deploy time marked anywhere? 
For the Fire at Point task I need to trigger AI for Unit ON as well as AI Push Task that particular task right? You are saying I ONLY need the fire at point task without any AI trigger?
The BM21 now fires after like couple of minutes. But the BM27 no luck. Do I need to make sure that the target is WITHIN the circle or outside of the circle of the unit when you select fire at point?

Oh I think I get it some units have a RED circle (max I presume) and some units have a RED and  a smaller GREEN (min range I presume?) circle?

34 minutes ago, Exorcet said:

Ground units have a setup/deploy time. Turn on time acceleration and take note of when they start to shoot. I know for SCUDs it's on the order of 10 minutes.

where do you turn on acceleration? thanks

Edited by _Defi

• Solution
4 minutes ago, _Defi said:

Oh really? is the setup deploy time marked anywhere? 

Nowhere, but it's the same for all artillery systems.

For the Fire at Point task I need to trigger AI for Unit ON as well as AI Push Task that particular task right?

Not necessary.

You are saying I ONLY need the fire at point task without any AI trigger?

If you want it to depent on something you can use triggers but it's not necessary. And "AI On" is only needed if you previously set "AI Off". Otherwise, AI is on by default.

The BM21 now fires after like couple of minutes. But the BM27 no luck. Do I need to make sure that the target is WITHIN the circle or outside of the circle of the unit when you select fire at point?

You need to make sure the target is within the maximum and outside of the minimum range.

where do you turn on acceleration? thanks

LCtrl+Z or Y depending on your keyboard layout.

Just now, razo+r said:

Nowhere, but it's the same for all artillery systems.

Not necessary.

If you want it to depent on something you can use triggers but it's not necessary. And "AI On" is only needed if you previously set "AI Off". Otherwise, AI is on by default.

You need to make sure the target is within the maximum and outside of the minimum range.

LCtrl+Z or Y depending on your keyboard layout.

Ok I am gonna try all this now. And when you place a unit somewhere outside of an ammo warehouse or supply location. What is the minimum you need to place there to be able to keep firing?

How fast until the unit fires again? There is no option to set anywhere? I need to trigger this somehow?

Thanks!

1 minute ago, _Defi said:

Ok I am gonna try all this now. And when you place a unit somewhere outside of an ammo warehouse or supply location. What is the minimum you need to place there to be able to keep firing?

You need to place it within the service zone of an airport (black circle in the editor) or place it within the service zone of a logistic truck (black circle). Only one truck is enough, even for multiple units.

1 minute ago, _Defi said:

How fast until the unit fires again? There is no option to set anywhere? I need to trigger this somehow?

Thanks!

A unit reloads automatically. How long it takes depends on the unit. For detailed timings, consult the DCS User Manual 2020, located here: \DCS World OpenBeta\Doc

3 minutes ago, razo+r said:

You need to place it within the service zone of an airport (black circle in the editor) or place it within the service zone of a logistic truck (black circle). Only one truck is enough, even for multiple units.

A unit reloads automatically. How long it takes depends on the unit. For detailed timings, consult the DCS User Manual 2020, located here: \DCS World OpenBeta\Doc

Ok thanks. I will run it and see how long it takes to fire again. I had to trigger AI Push Task for the units though to trigger the Fire at Point Action. Without that I think it's not doing anything straight away anyway. that way the units start aiming immediately and then it takes around 2minutes before the first salvo (BM21, BM27, MGRS). 

You guys are very helpful. Thanks a lot. 

2 minutes ago, _Defi said:

Ok thanks. I will run it and see how long it takes to fire again.

According to the pdf I told you to look into, it takes 840 seconds for the BM27.

2 minutes ago, _Defi said:

I had to trigger AI Push Task for the units though to trigger the Fire at Point Action. Without that I think it's not doing anything straight away anyway.

It does it even without that AI Push Task.

9 minutes ago, razo+r said:

According to the pdf I told you to look into, it takes 840 seconds for the BM27.

It does it even without that AI Push Task.

BM21 ---   420 secs. --- 7 minutes
BM27 ---  840 secs --- 14 minutes
MLRS M270 - 560 secs - 9 minutes

page 320

Ok thanks I will pull this up. Ok 14 minutes that's a very long time indeed!

when you put new warehouses somewhere there is an option to set the supply route. Is this necessary? How does it get supplied? Do I need to make some trucks go back and forth?
What are these supply arrows for? I dont see that anywhere in the manual. 

Edited by _Defi