Assign Search Then Engage in Zone to AI using trigger position

Go to solution Solved by toutenglisse,

I'm trying to bypass ME limitations and give ground attack planes STEIZ tasks for self defense. The annoying part is finding the position for the task. I thought it would simplify things to use a trigger zone in the mission to mark the position, but I'm not having success writing a script. I do get an error message running it in game, but the message is blank.

Concept summary:

-Place trigger zone in mission

-Run script that:

-Finds position of trigger zone

-Translates position from Vec3 to Vec2

-Uses Vec2 position to define STEIZ task

Code:

local sdzone = trigger.misc.getZone('TZB1') --Trigger Zone Blue 1
local sdposV3 = sdzone.getPoint() --Vec3
local sdposV2 = { --convert Vec3 to Vec2, Vec3 = {x (N/S), y (alt), Z (E/W) > check this | LAlt + Y to show Vec2/3 in infobar live
            sdposV3.x,
            sdposV3.z
            }

local _f0 = Group.getByName("B") --Get aircraft group
   local _f0c = Group.getByName("B"):getController() --Get group controller
   local AAsd = {
       id = "SDinZ1",
       params = {
           point = sdposV2,
           zoneRadius = 37040, -- 185200 = 100 nmi, 92600 = 50 nmi, 37040 = 20 nmi, 27780 = 15 nmi, 14816 = 8 nmi
           targetTypes = {"Fighters", "Multirole Fighters", "Interceptors"},
           priority = 1,
       },
   }
   _f0c:pushTask(AAsd)

There may be a stupid mistake somewhere, but I'm just not seeing it.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Update the code seems to have correct Syntax now, but the AI will not engage, even with the enemy in proximity, the radius massively increased, and AWACS and EWR support available:

local sdposV3 = sdzone.point --Vec3
local sdposV2 = { --convert Vec3 to Vec2, Vec3 = {x (N/S), y (alt), Z (E/W) > check this | LAlt + Y to show Vec2/3 in infobar live
            sdposV3.x, 
            sdposV3.z
            }

local AAsd = {
       id = "EngageTargetsInZone", 
       params = {
           point = sdposV2,
           zoneRadius = 185200, -- 185200 = 100 nmi, 92600 = 50 nmi, 37040 = 20 nmi, 27780 = 15 nmi, 14816 = 8 nmi
           priority = 1, 
       }, 
   } 

trigger.action.outText('X: ' ..sdposV2[1] .. ' Z:' ..sdposV2[2], 60, true) -- Confirm Vec2 array handled correctly

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

It is beginning to feel like STEIZ doesn't work at all, but that doesn't seem remotely right unless it's bugged in the current DCS version? I added the task to a CAP flight and it still won't work. Essentially the code for STE, not using a zone, works fine. If anyone has done this before some guidance would be really helpful.

3 hours ago, toutenglisse said:

I think your sdposV2 is wrong. It is a table of 2 values, when it should be a table of 2 indexed values (x and y) :

sdposV2 = {x=sdposV3.x,y=sdposV3.z}

Thanks for taking a look, but the code seems to work the same with both formats for that variable.

Further testing shows it is a bizarre AI issue. For some reason the AI refuses to attack in this particular setup:

image.png

The code works, without any changes, in another mission where the red plane is in a different location. It also works in this mission if I move the red plane.

This would all make sense if it was an issue with the AI being able to detect the other plane, but it's not. I added an AWACS and a player controlled fighter. I can see the enemy on the DL.

The AI can't see what is on its left.

EDIT

I've looked deeper and it is actually even more strange, but at least now I think there is a solution.

@toutenglisseis correct. However my incorrect code somehow only fails to work when the target is on the left. I guess what's happening is coincidence based on how the Vec2 variables are being handled.

EDIT 2

The broken Vec2 positions made the zone default to Bullseye. By nothing but chance, this put the target out of the zone on the left, but not on the right. Problem solved.

For reference, here is the correct code for anyone wishing to use it:

local zr = 30 -- zoneRadius input nmi

local sdposV3 = sdzone.point --Vec3
local sdposV2 = { --convert Vec3 to Vec2, Vec3 = {x (N/S), y (alt), Z (E/W) | LAlt + Y to show Vec2/3 in infobar live
			x = sdposV3.x, 
			y = sdposV3.z
			}

local AAsd = {
       id = "EngageTargetsInZone", 
       params = {
           point = sdposV2,
		   zoneRadius = zr*1852,
           priority = 1, 
       }, 
   } 
--   trigger.action.outText('X: ' ..sdposV2.x .. ' Z:' ..sdposV2.y, 60, true) -- Confirm Vec2 positions

Edited by Exorcet