Radar Training?

H60MTI

Longer you say? 9 times out of 8, I can't pick anything up over 10 miles. Or, the opposite, if it's too close, my radar won't detect it. Can't use the AIM-120 to it's potential in the slightest. Very annoying.

Former SSG US Army

UH-60A/L/M Crewchief

"2 To Fly!"

There is a single player mission for the F/A-18C called "Mission Practice - Air to Air Radar"
Put yourself in active pause (LShift + LWin + Pause) right from the start. Then select AMRAAM weapon (LShift + D).. and then put it in RWS with 6 bar scan (equals about 20º vertical scan)  and the full 140º azimuth. Increase the aging to 32 seconds (Data sub page). Press sensor select left (RAlt + ,) to show the AZ/EL page. Then sit and watch the bricks.. on the left DDI you will see the track files.
You can adjust the radar elevation (- or =). Change the elevation scale to suit the situation.
Use the F10 map to see what you are missing and then see if you can find them. Depending on the target aspect and range and interleave you will see or lose targets...
Hope that helps for a start..

Edited by Fresh
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, H60MTI said:

Longer you say? 9 times out of 8, I can't pick anything up over 10 miles. Or, the opposite, if it's too close, my radar won't detect it. Can't use the AIM-120 to it's potential in the slightest. Very annoying.

Radar elevation can sometimes be the problem, especially look-down, if you are at 25000 feet and the bandits are on the deck you won't see them on radar unless you manually alter your radar elevation.

That one paragraph from Fresh has already explained it more than the book does...

Oh, it's a mission? That might be why I've been missing it. I've been looking under training...Ya know, the place it would make sense to be under.....

Former SSG US Army

UH-60A/L/M Crewchief

"2 To Fly!"

Is the ECCM mode still not functional on the Hornet yet or am I missing something?
EECM is not modeled at all, throughout DCS. Only some ECM effects are modeled. The Hornet can currently resolve the angle and elevation of jamming targets, and display them as Angle Only Tracks (AOT). At around 21 NM, it can also resolve the range.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro