Edit: Cause of permanent adverse roll on aircraft after a hard pitch up at high speed.

CrazyGman
Go to solution Solved by fausete,

So relatively frequently if I pitch up suddenly at high speed (but not high enough that I rip wings) and usually this is when i'm trying to do a head on gun shot, the result will be that afterwards the aircraft will want to roll strongly to one side or another, and requires a large anount of trim to counteract. I'm just wondering what causes the roll effect, as I can't see any external damage on the aircraft? Is it due to bending the airframe and wings, or is it something to do with the stability augmentation system, now being thrown out of wack? (though there seems to be no way I can find to reset it)

Edited by CrazyGman

• Solution

Hi, it's been there since the beginning. It's possible that the recent tweaks to the rolling moment have made it more apparent. It is also represented visually (both permanent and elastic deformation in the wing are) but not too noticeable. Note that it's also possible to jam the slats in a different position, which will also induce some roll. Take into account that the maximum G rating of the F1 is 7,5.

PS: In the title you are describing 2 different phenomena than the permanent deformation of the wing. Adverse roll might be experienced at high aoa due to asymmetric stall and at high speeds (above the aircraft limit of 750 KIAS) you might experience it due to wing torsion. Those 2 are completely unrelated with the permanent deformation of the wing.

Edited by fausete
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, fausete said:

It is also represented visually (both permanent and elastic deformation in the wing are) but not too noticeable.

Thanks for the answer. it's the permanent wing bending effect I was refereing too, and indeed, as you said it's been present for a long time. I don't find it now more prevelant in recent changes, I just never looked hard enough at the full wing to notice the permanent bend, just the control surfaces, where I couldn't see any changes. 

It was more just a curiosity for me what was actually causing the roll, now I can know what to look for, and it's very cool that this is modeled.

• Thanks 1

• CrazyGman changed the title to Edit: Cause of permanent adverse roll on aircraft after a hard pitch up at high speed.