New to VR, I have some questions please.

I recently got the Quest 2 and am making my way through setting up. Not to bad so far.

My system: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 8 Core 3.2ghz. 

16gb Ram

MSI GeForce RTX 2070 8GB

I know it's not top end but it's a start.

1) Anyway, I've read bumping up to 32 gigs of RAM may be necessary but where will it help? Does it help stop shimmering, will it increase frame rates or make the graphics better or just the general smoothness the game runs at?

2) What's the go with Hand Tracking. I enabled the hand tracking in the VR tab in settings and ended up with game crashes for ages until we found I had to change a setting in the Options.lua to get it back to normal. I've heard that since 2.9 hand tracking doesn't work for Quest 2 at present. I do use the cable link to my pc with 5gbps speed.

3) Is there a way you can test the speed of your link cable?

4) Should I be using that OpenXR Runtime? Not that I know how too, would it make any difference?

Thanks for your help, I have searched a lot for answers, but they don't always cover what I need to know.

Cheers, Aussie Pilot.

Cheers,

Aussie Pilot.

More RAM will only help if you are exceeding the physical memory usage, symptoms are usually prolonged stutters where the system begins paging memory to your hard disk.  You can use something like HWINFO64 to monitor this and many other things.  It has no affect on graphic quality nor will it give you faster frame rate.

Your system is pretty old for a good VR experience.  Throwing in a 5800X3D, 32GB RAM (64GB for large online servers) and a new GPU would go a long way, but you're mostly to the point of needing a whole new system.

I can't help with your other questions related to the Quest.

MSI Z690 Edge | 12700k | 64GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 4080 Super | Varjo Aero

1 hour ago, Aussie Pilot said:

I recently got the Quest 2 and am making my way through setting up. Not to bad so far.

My system: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 8 Core 3.2ghz. 

16gb Ram

MSI GeForce RTX 2070 8GB

I know it's not top end but it's a start.

1) Anyway, I've read bumping up to 32 gigs of RAM may be necessary but where will it help? Does it help stop shimmering, will it increase frame rates or make the graphics better or just the general smoothness the game runs at?

2) What's the go with Hand Tracking. I enabled the hand tracking in the VR tab in settings and ended up with game crashes for ages until we found I had to change a setting in the Options.lua to get it back to normal. I've heard that since 2.9 hand tracking doesn't work for Quest 2 at present. I do use the cable link to my pc with 5gbps speed.

3) Is there a way you can test the speed of your link cable?

4) Should I be using that OpenXR Runtime? Not that I know how too, would it make any difference?

Thanks for your help, I have searched a lot for answers, but they don't always cover what I need to know.

Cheers, Aussie Pilot.

Hi and my Answers:

1. Not a tiny little bit. More System-RAM can help to make the FPS more stable, but won't give you more FPS, and for sure, it won't stop the shimmering.

2. Hand tracking is still off. It's a pita to use it in DCS. Buy a Trackball mouse, that would help you much more.

3. Idn. For what stuff would it be good for?

4. Idn, because I never had an Oculus VR-HS.

If you want to raise your FPS, go in order with the following things:

1. GPU with 16+ GB VRAM (by 100 % more FPS)

2. CPU (more fluid FPS)

3. RAM (more fluid FPS)

Your system is limited by the GPU. 8 GB VRAM is not enough to have fun in VR.

Any "new" GPU with 16 GB VRAM would boost your VR experience a lot. For DCS I would prefer nVidia, but AMD GFX cards are good too.

Cheers

Edited by Nedum

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X3D, System-RAM: 64 GB DDR5, GPU: nVidia 4090, Monitor: LG 38" 3840*1600, VR-HMD: Pimax Crystal, OS: Windows 11Pro, 2*2TB Samsung M.2 SSD, HOTAS: TM Warthog, Paddles: MfG.

1 - Increasing RAM will help with general stability and avoid memory related stutters, nothing more. Your machine is on the edge of playability for VR, so even if you add 64GB of RAM, overall performance won't improve much.

2 - I don't know as I don't use hand tracking. For me using the head controlled pointer is way better.

3 - Yes. Oculus Desktop app has a built-in test for your cable.

4 - Absolutely. Using OpenXR Toolkit is a must, as it offers fixed foveated rendering. Couple that with Oculus Tray Tool's reduce fov option and you can change your VR experience from miserable to -at least- decent.

Edited by diego999

@Aussie Pilot

->3.) Yes…somewhere during your setup of the HMD or on the sertings(?) there should have been the option to test the speed of your USB connection.

>4.) Yes. And you probably use it already. In the options of the Meta/Oculus software there is an option called „Use Oculus as OpenXR runtime“…check that

And use the DCS.exe that you find in the bin-mt folder to execute the game.

vor 4 Minuten schrieb diego999:

4 - Absolutely. Using OpenXR Toolkit is a must, as it offers fixed foveated rendering. Couple that with Oculus Tray Tool's reduce fov option and you can change your VR experience from miserable to -at least- decent.

That was not his question though and might just bring a level of complexity that is a tad too much for someone who is just finding his way into setting up his HMD.

vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

image.png

I am fiddling around with hand tracking as well but if you are just starting to fly in VR I think you should better concentrate on the flying experience only and add hand tracking in the next steps.

As said, your hardware can be limiting, but if you put the settings low enough you might be able to do some flying.
DCS in VR is very hardware demanding which can be a strain on your budget 😉

12 hours ago, Aussie Pilot said:

Wow guys. Thanks for the fast and helpful responses, much appreciated. 

Try starting with this:

- Use link cable. Set resolution to the max setting in the oculus app. 

- Install oculus tray tool so you have more easy control over your oculus settings. Increase bitrate to 960 (you may need to drop this back if your pc can't handle it). 

- install quad views foveated rendering (and the companion app) so that you can set the peripheral resolution a bit lower and reduce GPU load. Set centre resolution to 1.2 and periphery to 0.5. Then play with the settings to suit you. 

- Install XRnecksafer, especially useful for dogfighting. 

- I think you already have OXRTK. It remains useful but not as much as it used to be. The best features are toggling turbo mode on/off in sim, applying contrast control, fine timing sharpening, overriding the resolution (although QVFR lets you do this). 

- You will probably need to use conservative settings in DCS. Make sure PD is 1. 

- Aim to use ASW initially with either 36/72 or 40/80 Hz and accept the ghosting. You wil likely have situations where you can get 72 FPS but only high up and away from cities. ASW is smooth until you drop below the main FPS, then it is very stuttery (edit: if it drops below 36fps). 

There are more things to try but this is a good starting point. 

The alternative is Virtual Desktop which is better than airlink. It has some excellent settings and is constantly being updated. There is continuing debate about whether VD or link cable are better. I think link cable has the edge as I notice less compression artifacts, presumably due to the higher bitrate of the cable. I also think oculus ASW is better than the VD version SSW, but many people don't like using either. Trial and error. Good luck. 

[Disclosure: I have a rift s, Quest Pro and Pico 4 so no direct experience with Q2 but these suggestion should work].

https://github.com/mbucchia/Quad-Views-Foveated

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3332882/#:~:text=Quadviews Companion makes modifying the,implementation of QuadViews a breeze!&text=mbucchia's QuadViews is an essential,%2C for many%2C the settings.

https://gitlab.com/NobiWan/xrnecksafer

Edited by Qcumber

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Qcumber:

ASW is smooth until you drop below the main FPS, then it is very stuttery. 

Uhmm….

The whole purpose of ASW is to maintain a smooth experience when FPS drops below refresh rate. 
Half rate ASW is smooth for me at the price of occasional artefacts/ghosting/wobbling.

It should definitely not be stuttery.

vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

image.png

Just now, Phantom711 said:

Uhmm….

The whole purpose of ASW is to maintain a smooth experience when FPS drops below refresh rate. 
Half rate ASW is smooth for me at the price of occasional artefacts/ghosting/wobbling.

It should definitely not be stuttery.

I should explain what I meant. If it's set at 90Hz then it remains smooth at 45 FPS until it drops below 45, then it stutters. What I am doing now is using 90Hz and aiming for 45fps most of the time then manually toggling to 30Hz with OTT if it drops below 45fps and that seems to work quite well. 

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro