AI Mustang speed

Go to solution Solved by Reflected,

What am I doing wrong? Can't catch the formation.

My airspeed 285 mph, the AI Mustangs fly away at what appears to be 50 mph or more than my top continuous speed. Climbing or level. Even those AI taking off after me come past at a speed unachievable by me. 

Missions 1 and 2 show the same problem. 

I am using suggested sim settings

Any ideas?

What engine settings are you using? don't be afraid to up the power if needed.  The aircraft should be more than comfortable at RPM 2850 with manifold pressure up to say 50" to catch up.  This setting in level flight should see you fly in excess of 300mph, but keep an eye on engine guages, this isn't a continuous setting.

Edited by Ghost79
  • Thanks 1

Youtube channel @Flightenvy680

Banner 1.png

8 minutes ago, Ghost79 said:

What engine settings are you using? don't be afraid to up the power if needed.  The aircraft should be more than comfortable at RPM 2850 with manifold pressure up to say 50" to catch up.  This setting in level flight should see you fly in excess of 300mph, but keep an eye on engine guages, this isn't a continuous setting.

Thank you for responding. I don't think it's  a power problem. I'm running max continuous 2700 & 46. That's giving me 285mph. The difference in overtake speed is staggering. Seems like 80 + mph quicker.

I've  watched a few YouTube vids from others playing mission 2 and they are able to catch up and fly in a loose formation at around 200mph. 

It really is bizarre. I take off glued behind the flight lead. And quckly reach 250 mph. Within a matter of minutes the flight lead is a dot. He joins the already distant flight formation. Despite me running at full sustainable power (trimmed level  285mph), I'm then overtaken at significant extra speed by aicraft that are well hehind me.

By the time I depart the english coast I'm pursuing a string of mustang dots that continue to pull away.

I don't use mods. I've taken Reflected's advice for game settings to avoid bugs.

Could this be a Multi-threading or DLSS thing?

• Solution
Posted (edited)

The ai flies at or below max continuous. So 46” and 2700. 

the keyword is ‘appears’. Even at full power the closing in a warbird will be 10-20 knots and it takes time. It’s as simple as that. Especially in a climb it can take forever to catch up if you mess up, even at full throttle. 

btw max continuous is just that. To catch up you need to add power. Even full power at times. 

don’t judge the AI’s speed unless you’re flying wingtip to wingtip with them

Sorry but I have no orher advice than ‘Straighten up and fly right’. Check out my Mustang tutorial and ‘How to fly with the AI’ to make sure you’re flying as you should. 

PS: unless you’re running emergencu mixture. That’s a typical mistake  

Edited by Reflected
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Reflected said:

the keyword is ‘appears’. Even at full power the closing in a warbird will be 10-20 knots and it takes time. It’s as simple as that. Especially in a climb it can take forever to catch up if you mess up, even at full throttle. 

btw max continuous is just that. To catch up you need to add power. Even full power at times. 

Sorry but I have no orher advice than ‘Straighten up and fly right’. Check out my Mustang tutorial and ‘How to fly with the AI’ to make sure you’re flying as you should. 

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I appreciate 

I was not expecting the AI to be at max continuous, which probably explains them getting away. 

I am naturally trying to nurse the engine to and from the target. Not anticipating the need to use far higher power settings unless absolutely necessary.

Will try as you and the other poster suggested and report back.

Cheers.

Amazing work by the way. The time you've put into the background materials is next level.

5 hours ago, Ghost79 said:

1 hour ago, Reflected said:

Ok, so oil and rad coolers wide open. Running at 3000rpm and 61 inches from take off through departure and climb, a short engine rest, plus a few more minutes at full power and I caught up.

I'm amazed the engine did not blow up. 

Thanks for the help.