Trying to decide on VR replacement headset

Wood

Hello everyone. Happy New year to all of you. I hope you had a great holiday season. 
Kind of sucks but prior to Christmas my Reverb G2 pooched after 4 years. it so, I ended up trying the Quest3 which I thought was awful for multiple reasons. So I ended up returning it. The last month has been researching VR headsets. Honestly, even though the reverb had issues I got spoiled by not going through the hassle as you do with Oculus and its software. Sim time is huge for me and the time I spend flying adds up very quickly and found new headsets such as the quest is very limited on battery life. The only good thing for the Quest is not tracking stations which I want to stay away from if possible. 
So, I’ve been flopping around pimax and Bigscreen beyond. Both expensive but I’m leaning more toward BSB but heard from a friend that it’s not good for PC gaming and Sims in particular.  So, I was wondering if anyone is using bigscreen beyond headset and the thoughts on the subject to as if it’s worth the money. Pros and cons about DCS or MFS use as that’s all I use my VR for. 

thanks in advance for any detailed you can provide 

Wood 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

5 minutes ago, Wood said:

I ended up trying the Quest3 which I thought was awful for multiple reasons.

Could you outline what issues you had with the Q3? Like any other standalone headset it will require some time setting up for PCV in DCS. Also, what are you pc specs? 

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

Im now with Quest 3 coming from HP Reverb G2. Im surprised how Q3 looks at 3500x3800 pixel per eye. Performance is quiet better compared with G2 cos ASW in meta works fantastic. Lenses ar amazing and you have almost same resolution in whole FOV. It is important to setup it  properly with oculus debug tool or OTT for correct quest link operation. Apart from that and after change visor strap, its a good change. Im selling my G2 right now.

I sold my g2 and got a pimax 8kx. Never really got everything ironed out with that so bought a pico 4. I couldn't be happier with the pico 4. A great headset. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Qcumber said:

Could you outline what issues you had with the Q3? Like any other standalone headset it will require some time setting up for PCV in DCS. Also, what are you pc specs? 

Sure of course. I’m running and i7 with 32gigs Ram with a 4060Ti.

First, and don’t get me wrong. The Quest 3 visuals were awesome with the exception of a little distortion when looking up that I can’t explain. However, for me it was comfort level. It was the worst headset for comfort that I’ve used so far. So much so that I could not wear it for more the 30 minutes and at times less without taking it off or readjust. I realize that there is optional head straps out there. But out of the box for something that is free standing they could have did something better. Second issue was battery life and that was a big issue. With certain items reduced as per recommendations to prolong the battery life I still found it limiting to about 90 minutes if I was lucky. Keeping it plugged in while using it did not help from what I saw. 
as for the Oculus software that’s on me as I never did like the oculus software from day in. I would always have to start DCS using the virtual desktop it seemed where with the reverb it was start DCS and put the headset on and your go to go for hours. 

Cheers Wood 

4 minutes ago, TED said:

I sold my g2 and got a pimax 8kx. Never really got everything ironed out with that so bought a pico 4. I couldn't be happier with the pico 4. A great headset. 

That’s another option I was looking at as well TED. My concern is I’m in Canada and I’ve heard issues with shipping and chargers. 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

8 minutes ago, Wood said:

I would always have to start DCS using the virtual desktop it seemed where with the reverb it was start DCS and put the headset on and your go to go for hours. 

Did you try the link cable? This gives less compression artifacts (on my QP) than VD. 

The Pico 4 is another option but it sounds complicated for you. Maybe look for a used one? It is the best of the cheap headsets. I have had one for a while and it is a good headset. 

I just got the QP upgrading from the Pico 4 and I am finding it to be a bit better. Less demanding on the GPU and slightly better visuals (mainly due to fewer compression artifacts I think). Also eye tracking so I make the most from dynamic foveated rendering. Again, this reduces GPU load. I am maxed out on most settings with a 4070. You can pick one up in e-bay for less than a Q3. As mentioned above I use the link cable for good results. It trickle charges through the cable but you can get a cable with a second usb-c charging option which will keep it running all day. 

Other than these "budget" options you are looking at some very expensive headsets, all of which appear to have quirks (according to the various forums here). 

• Like 2

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

The BSB is very small, and it feels like you are not even wearing any VR headset, that's the big plus.

The Pimax Crystal is a very heavy VR-HS, but I myself had never any problem with that. You feel the weight with rapid head movements, It's not an issue for me in DCS.

The BSB has the better colors and a better black, but the Pimax is close, very close.

The Pimax has the better lenses, far better. The Pimax is brighter and a big plus is Eye Tracking, which the BSB doesn't have.

The BSB has no battery, in my eyes a big plus. I can play 6+ hours with the Pimax, with the BSB as long as I want.

The Pimax Crystal would be the best SIM VR-HS without the wireless module. As a pure PC VR-HS, I guess it would be $300 cheaper and not so heavy.

Pimax will sell the wide FoV lenses in a few days/weeks, which will give you 10° more horizontal FoV.

I would never buy any new VR-HS for Sim-Gaming without Eye-Tracking anymore. That's a game changer for me. No need of AA anymore. The Picture is so clear and sharp and on top you will get more FPS. The edge to edge clarity is mind-blowing.

If you wear glasses, you should buy the 15 mm foam face cover for the Pimax.

My personal experience with the Quest 3:

The Quest 3 is !!not!! an upgrade if one is coming from the G2 and wants a sharper picture. The advantage of the edge to edge "clarity" which the Quest 3 has, can't hide the back step of sharpness if you are coming from a G2. If one tells you the Quest 3 is as sharp as the G2, don't believe it. The Quest 3 is a good VR-HS, and it's excellent for what it was build for (wireless gaming) but it was not built for PC-SIM-Gaming.

Can you play DCS with a Quest 3, and can you have fun? By 100%!

Has the Quest 3 a better edge to edge clarity as the G2? Yes!

Has the Quest 3 the same sharpness as the G2? No, the Quest 3 is not as sharp as the G2 (sweet spot).

If one want to upgrade from a G2, and want a better image quality (sharper, clearer, more details), the Quest 3 is NOT the way to go.  For a real upgrade (coming from the G2) there are VARIO, BSB and PIMAX the way to go.

Edited by Nedum

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X3D, System-RAM: 64 GB DDR5, GPU: nVidia 4090, Monitor: LG 38" 3840*1600, VR-HMD: Pimax Crystal, OS: Windows 11Pro, 2*2TB Samsung M.2 SSD, HOTAS: TM Warthog, Paddles: MfG.

My Bigscreen Beyond arrives Tuesday, and I will be testing it with DCS and file a report. My other VR devices include Occulus and G2. I have read no reviews of BsB yet from owners using it with flight sims and very few remarks about its performance in racing sims. From the reports I have read, user experience depends very highly on fit of the custom face gasket and accuracy of IPD measurement. Typically, most all the posts on the BsB official Discord relate to these 2 issues; but statistical analysis posted by BsB indicates that these factors affect only about 5% of shipped headsets. A few users have taken the trouble to post that their headsets fit them perfectly; and they are blown away by the visuals the BsB delivers. Two other issues reported are glare and small sweet spot, but these effectively diminish in actual VR program use. Users universally praise the BsB customer support to resolve issues. One should note that BsB does accept returns, but imposes a USD 200 restocking fee. The Bigscreen Beyond device is a costly investment, especially considering the requirement for Valve base stations and hand controllers. I look forward to providing the DCS community with an objective review.

• Like 2

These are very first impressions after only a couple of hours use. Previous owner of Occulus and G2. I have not flown a long MP mission to performance-stress the Beyond yet, so I will be commenting on that scenario later. It lacks DFR, so I am interested to discover how the Beyond performs with my current PC (5800x and 3080-10MB) on the Grayflag server.

The Bigscreen Beyond comes in a package the size of a shoebox and the device itself is smaller than most swim goggles. I had read this but was still astonished.

Totally unfamiliar with lighthouses and knuckles controllers, so took some time futtsing with those and re-familiarizing myself with SteamVR. Still don't really know how to operate the knuckles fully, but they are irrelevant to DCS flight sim. Discovered, like many others, that my device IPD is a few mm too wide, so I have initiated a ticket to correct that issue. BsB will exchange the devices free of charge. My barber has remarked on my long eyelashes and indeed they contact the lenses. Tiny, inexpensive magnets from Amazon reportedly can fix this issue. The magnets are simply placed on the existing magnets that secure the gasket to the device.

I was very impressed, despite the IPD issue, with screen brightness, vibrant colors, and clarity of the visuals. No problem whatsoever reading cockpit labels and such, and HUD symbology appeared very crisp. Perhaps because of my previous experience with G2, I did not find the sweet spot annoyingly small. As for reported glare, I did not even notice it in Hornet cockpit in daylight. Might be different in night missions.

I am using the supplied strap and top strap and they seem comfortable enough. My custom manufactured face gasket seems to fit my head perfectly, but I do feel a bit of moisture where the gasket contacts my skin. Positioning the device high on my forehead provides best video clarity. I set the fan for 80% max rpm and as for fan noise . .  . what fan?|

We will likely not see the perfect VR headset for many years but the Beyond provides IMO one of the best visual experiences currently available. Thus far I am favorably impressed with this little headset. More later.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

On 1/10/2024 at 8:08 PM, Habu_69 said:

I am using the supplied strap and top strap and they seem comfortable enough. My custom manufactured face gasket seems to fit my head perfectly, but I do feel a bit of moisture where the gasket contacts my skin. Positioning the device high on my forehead provides best video clarity. I set the fan for 80% max rpm and as for fan noise . .  . what fan?|

We will likely not see the perfect VR headset for many years but the Beyond provides IMO one of the best visual experiences currently available. Thus far I am favorably impressed with this little headset. More later.

Just got my Beyond yesterday and I'm not impressed with the fitment at all.   There is pressure on the bridge of my nose and the left side where the usb plug is, there is a gap and I can see daylight out of the corner of my eye.   As far as moisture, yeah it's noticeable even with the fan cranked it gets pretty warm.  The bottom of the headband also rubs the top of my ears and it's noticeable, maybe I need to adjust the bands but they seem to fall from their original location over time

Glare is an issue, in the f15e from almost sunset to dark in game there is a band of glare just below the center of the view.    I played around with the brightness settings and it really didn't help too much.

Tracking, well you have to get your lighthouses nearly perfect due to the size of these things.  It lost tracking several times at first with the same locations when using my index.  

I do like that I can wear my higher end headset, I like the weight.  Image clarity is really good.

Do I think they are worth 1k just for the headset.....NO.

• Thanks 1

Win 11 Professional, I7-12700K, 32GB DDR5, 3090, 2x 980 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe , 2x VKB Gunfighter mk III, MCG Ultimate, SCG, Orion 2 Throttle, Thrustmaster TPR pedals, Pimax Crystal 

12 hours ago, KungFu said:

Just got my Beyond yesterday and I'm not impressed with the fitment at all.   There is pressure on the bridge of my nose and the left side where the usb plug is, there is a gap and I can see daylight out of the corner of my eye.   As far as moisture, yeah it's noticeable even with the fan cranked it gets pretty warm.  The bottom of the headband also rubs the top of my ears and it's noticeable, maybe I need to adjust the bands but they seem to fall from their original location over time

Certainly many purchasers have problems with both the customized IPD and face gasket fitment of the Beyond, but their customer support appears aggressive in correcting such issues. I found that placing the headstrap rather high on the back of my head provided the best visuals and comfort.

• 1 month later...

Update: Since last posting a month ago regarding the BigScreen Beyond I have received headset replacement -3 mm from original IPD and thicker face gasket to address my eyelash contact with the lenses issue. All good. Encouraged, I took the plunge and performed a PC part upgrade to 7800 3DX, 64 GB RAM and RTX 4090.

I am still performance tweaking, but am very happy with my BsB experience flying DCS. With pumped up DCS performance options to high settings, quad view fixed FR, and OXR am getting visuals that rival my 32 inch QHD monitor at a steady 75 FPS in single player with no stutters. Huge improvement over the G2. Will be flying MP soon and will be testing 90 FPS. I really notice no glare and sweet spot is large enough to satisfy me. And oc the tiny form factor is a major plus. Lots of complaints about the head strap, but I don't find it a major problem. In March BsB will be offering for purchase an improved head strap with earphones. Biggest issue people post about on Discord is getting the correct custom IPD headset. According to BsB, about 10% of headsets are returned for corrected IPD, since the headset has no IPD adjustment. BsB tho, is very lenient and accommodating in providing free replacements; but still tries one's patience. Definitely worth considering if one is looking for a new headset IMO. BsB, and its supporting equipment, is an expensive piece of gear, but once you get it right, it is really right.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Habu_69 said:

Update: Since last posting a month ago regarding the BigScreen Beyond I have received headset replacement -3 mm from original IPD and thicker face gasket to address my eyelash contact with the lenses issue. All good. Encouraged, I took the plunge and performed a PC part upgrade to 7800 3DX, 64 GB RAM and RTX 4090.

I am still performance tweaking, but am very happy with my BsB experience flying DCS. With pumped up DCS performance options to high settings, quad view fixed FR, and OXR am getting visuals that rival my 32 inch QHD monitor at a steady 75 FPS in single player with no stutters. Huge improvement over the G2. Will be flying MP soon and will be testing 90 FPS. I really notice no glare and sweet spot is large enough to satisfy me. And oc the tiny form factor is a major plus. Lots of complaints about the head strap, but I don't find it a major problem. In March BsB will be offering for purchase an improved head strap with earphones. Biggest issue people post about on Discord is getting the correct custom IPD headset. According to BsB, about 10% of headsets are returned for corrected IPD, since the headset has no IPD adjustment. BsB tho, is very lenient and accommodating in providing free replacements; but still tries one's patience. Definitely worth considering if one is looking for a new headset IMO. BsB, and its supporting equipment, is an expensive piece of gear, but once you get it right, it is really right.

Thanks for posting an update. I'm excited to see another player to this area, given that there seems to be others that are giving up on the VR market. Great to hear that they sent a replacement headset for you and worked with you to give you the customised fit. 

For me, no DFR is the biggest drawback with this headset, as DCS isn't exactly performance friendly in VR atm, and even with a 4090 with my Reverb, I find myself having to play tweak the settings too often. 

Still - it's an option, and the more options available, the better!