Mi-8 Failed Engine Start procedure?

So was just playing around with the Mi-8 startup procedure and ran into a simple problem:

If at any point during the engine startup procedure I shut the overhead fuel valve to that engine, the startup procedure fails. So far so good, as expected.

But, then I can't figure out how to re-start that engine. Trying the normal procedure results in the engine warming up to about 20% and then dying again.

Any tips how to recover from a failed engine startup?

Edited by MavenRaven

6 hours ago, MavenRaven said:

So was just playing around with the Mi-8 startup procedure and ran into a simple problem:

If at any point during the engine startup procedure I shut the overhead fuel valve to that engine, the startup procedure fails. So far so good, as expected.

But, then I can't figure out how to re-start that engine. Trying the normal procedure results in the engine warming up to about 20% and then dying again.

Any tips how to recover from a failed engine startup?

2 hours ago, AlphaOneSix said:

Works fine for me. How long after the RPM reaches 0% are you waiting before attempting a restart?

Isn't correct procedure to crank first, to expel any unburnt fuel?

3 hours ago, admiki said:

Isn't correct procedure to crank first, to expel any unburnt fuel?

That's only necessary if you've got unburned fuel in the combustion chamber, which doesn't happen when he does it the way he is describing. Unless by "overhead fuel valve" he doesn't mean the red levers above the pilot.

• Like 1

OK, so I tried to reproduce this myself and no luck?! The engine just restarts with no problems -_-' Well, topic closed until I can actually reliably reproduce this state. Now I'm really curious what the hell was I doing wrong

43 minutes ago, MavenRaven said:

OK, so I tried to reproduce this myself and no luck?! The engine just restarts with no problems -_-' Well, topic closed until I can actually reliably reproduce this state. Now I'm really curious what the hell was I doing wrong

If start is aborted for whatever reason, I think waiting 20-30 seconds before starting again is enough. If you just start the other engine, time needed is all that it takes to clear failed start

• Like 2