Russian cockpit images used in English printed manual

MadTommy

...think of all the time and effort that has allready been put into the printed manual..

...now subtract that time and effort from what is going into the patch and / or the A10 , and / or the other modules in play, because thats what this is..ED don't have unlimited resources, and they have us baying at them for everything now and exactly and only as we personally want it!

just STFU, buy the manual as is and be greatful they bothered to even do it at all!

• Like 1

I would concur with Wombat778 here. It’s very counter intuitive to have an English labelled cockpit, then buy a manual which describes the function of that cockpit using Russian images which don’t correspond to anything in the actual English cockpit as that has English labels. It’s like wading through custard.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 9700k | 32gb DDR4 | Geforce 2080ti | TrackIR 5 | Rift S | HOTAS WARTHOG | CH PRO Pedals

It’s very counter intuitive to have an English labelled cockpit, then buy a manual which describes the function of that cockpit using Russian images which don’t correspond to anything in the actual English cockpit as that has English labels. It’s like wading through custard.

I agree, which is why I think the proper solution is to use the Russian cockpit. But that's just my twisted opinion :devil:

The funny thing is that I use the manual for "where's that switch" and "why'd that happen?" questions more than for procedure, but have no problem looking at a picture in Russian and a cockpit in English (I'm with the guy that thinks that a real Ka-50 pilot would read labels as fluently in Russian as I do in English - so it's a realism "wash.").

Since I learn things by where they are placed, I rarely read labels beyond first comprehension. The switch for HE rounds to AP is second from the right on the panel below the munitions counter; the rate of missile release is second from the left. I've used printed single pages while looking at the simulation and found it to be quite apparent which switch was what by Russian label picture to English label screen - the actual switch is rendered the same, regardless of label.

Reading the manual while away from the computer is for learning concepts and procedural reasoning, IMHO, not cockpit familiarization.

The notion that the new customer - one that is also new to simulations - that hasn't flown the simulation will be plunking down an extra thirty or so bucks for a manual is interesting. I have never known such a person that had the sudden inspiration to delve into our niche hobby so completely as to at once buy a simulation and instantaneously double their investment with a manual that (in the main) is already contained within the software package.

I would imagine such a person would also be the sort to either be an instant zealot that would fly with Russian labels for the "realism" of it (and thereby have a perfect match), or write it off as part of the mystique of hardcore flight simdom.

For the greatly offended it would be a simple matter to make screenshots of their English labeled cockpits that are matches to the ones in the manual, place them in the appropriate place in the purchased one, and either affix them directly to the page or onto a transparent plastic overlay that is then sewn into the wire ring that binds the manual.

This would be both very inexpensive and a great tool of instruction, as one would be forced to learn each panel in detail to make things match.

Personally, I don't see how flying with labels in a language you don't know is "realistic". Sure, in terms of climbing into a real Ka-50 and having a chance of starting it up and taking off, it's realistic. But in terms of you being a Russian national with basic fixed wing flight training, some form of helicopter flight training and more besides under your belt, I feel it's actually UNrealistic to imagine that you aren't already intimately familiar with your native language.

Would you watch a foreign language movie with no subtitles for the sake of realism? OK, so that's a little smartarse, sorry. But you take my point. And if you're providing for those of us not interested in learning Russian just to play a game, I think it would be best if there was a PDF manual with the English screengrabs in it. Relative to the huge amount of work put into the sim, it's surely not a big ask. That said, I managed, and I suck! So, so can everyone else.

Well put Big'un! :thumbup: