Hand Tracking w/ Meta Quest 3

jmarso

Sorry if this has been asked and answered elsewhere. 

1. Does this work in DCS? 

2. If yes, what are the settings? 

So far I can use my Quest3 just fine, but the hand tracking doesn't seem to be there no matter what I try. 

AFAIK it works just fine with Oculus as long as you meet the following requirements:

- Use OpenXR in DCS, with the Oculus OpenXR runtime (not SteamVR)

- Enable Meta developer mode. You will need to create a Meta developer account and enable developer mode through all 3 of the following: headset setting, phone app setting and PC app setting

- Select Hand controller in the VR settings of DCS

It's a bit of a pain in the a... in particular the steps to enable developer mode.

Edited by mbucchia

This account is now inactive and not monitored.

12 hours ago, Phantom711 said:

I tried it. It work, but not at the same level as the oculus hand tracking in the oculus VR UI.

I have the quest 2, does it work any good once you get it working or are you better off using the mouse?

Cheers, A.P.

Cheers,

Aussie Pilot.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi There, 

From my research and experiment here are the results : 
-> I just get ride off the HTCC stufff.... it seems to be a tool that emulate the controller. We just don't want this. we want to trigger the cockipt using out fingers !!! not using an index laser pointer ^^ (and by the way, I was never able to setup every
-> I do not have any other device than the quest 3 ( no leap stuff, no pointCTRL...) 
-> Using my quest 3 I was able to have my finger changing some switch in the cockpit. BUTTTTTT : it looks like it only works with ED ( eagle dynamics) aircraft models. e.g  The F18 is working fine, the Mirage 2000 is not working at all.
-> To get this working in DCS : you need to setup your quest to "propagate" the hand tracking information out of the device, up to your computer : 
- enable developer mode / create developer account ..... 
-> I have OpenXR toolkit installed... not sure it's required.
-> You need to start DCS with OpenXR support (e.g : via Airlink - so do not start dcs with SteamVR ) (dcs shortcut parameters are like : —force_OpenXR —force_enable_VR)
-> You need to setup DCS to have hand tracking support ( VR options ... ) 

Do not hesitate if someone get more information on it. 
I am so disappointed to get my hand perfectly in DCS but not able to use it on some aircraft.... 

Some info here (even if I don't use it) :
 https://htcc.fredemmott.com/
https://mbucchia.github.io/OpenXR-Toolkit/

I'm currently using the q3's hand tracking with fred's htcc, but without gestures and without finger switching, instead opting for switch activation via mouse buttons / scroll wheel attached to the joystick. I find the Q3 tracking barely stable enough if the pointer is linked to the forearm (which it is in HTCC), which works fine for me but requires a fair range of movement of my arm.  If linked to the palm or finger joints, i find it too shaky/noisy for precise actions. The pointer in the Q3 headset menus (big menu buttons /easy to point at) seems to be linked to the palm, rather than finger

This is where the leap motion v2 has an advantage as it's pretty stable at the palm and even the first finger bone, therefore not needing to wave your arm all over the place to point. Unfortunately it's another bit of weight attached to the front of the already somewhat front-heavy Q3 headset. However, it was great on the reverb g2 which is fairly light.

Although the Q3 supposedly uses colour info tracking, if you're already using infra red spotlights (to help the leap tracking) they improve the Q3 hand tracking stability also. They make a noticeable improvement overall

Edited by Dogmanbird

• 1 month later...

I have Quest 3 using OpenXR runtime. Hand tracking worked for me when I tried it a few months ago. Now I don't recall what settings were used to get it to work.  Does anyone know if the meta developer mode is absolutely necessary for this? I don't believe I had that on when I had it work earlier. There are settings for this at device level, and DCS level so just confusing what's blocking it now.. 

So you guys say it is not very practical other than it works? When I tried it for the first time in Oculus UI I was very impressed, almost like you take chains of your hands.

• Like 1

Win10,5900X,4090, 64GB RAM,Valve Index, Reverb G2 v2,Q3?

So you guys say it is not very practical other than it works?

I love it and wouldn't play dcs without it   just not for flipping the switches with fingers

If not for flipping switches, then what do you use it for?

I guess flipping switches would be what would make the main difference between using hand tracking and using only horas+mouse.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

If not for flipping switches, then what do you use it for?

For pointing at the switch i want to operate and use mouse buttons/wheel on my stick to do the flicking and turning. it always works and it's quick

2 minutes ago, Dogmanbird said:

its a $15 finger mouse modified to fit on the stick. operates with middle and ring finger

image.png

I have one of these but had not thought about fixing it to the stick. Good idea. 

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

I can't get HTCC to work. I tried it a few months ago and it worked but I had the issues with fine click control so I abandoned it. Now I have a "finger mouse" I want to try it again but I just can't get it to work. I've followed the guide in GitHub but it still does not work. I must be missing something. Does anyone have a more detailed guide? 

I am using Virtual Desktop with the Quest 3. Virtual Desktop supports passing the hand controller data to the PC as if it is controller data. All I had to do to get this working was:

1. Enable hand tracking in the Quest 3.
2. Enable hand tracking in the Virtual Desktop Input settings (while in Quest 3 virtual space).
3. Enable hand controllers in DCS World VR options menu.

I find it even more clumsy than the Leapfrog implementation.
PointCtrl remains the most intuitive/reliable/precise means of operating controls while in VR other than using a mouse.
Unfortunately, PointCtrl is almost two full years behind on shipping orders.
So, I primarily rely on using real-world WinWing panels (flying by touch and muscle memory) mixed with mouse control.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

6 hours ago, Qcumber said:

I can't get HTCC to work. I tried it a few months ago and it worked but I had the issues with fine click control so I abandoned it. Now I have a "finger mouse" I want to try it again but I just can't get it to work. I've followed the guide in GitHub but it still does not work. I must be missing something. Does anyone have a more detailed guide? 

any chance it's been disabled in the Open XR api layer stack?  (can get to it via steam VR's  settings/open xr/manage open xr layers)

I've found that the order of the stack can affect things too

6 hours ago, Dogmanbird said:

any chance it's been disabled in the Open XR api layer stack?  (can get to it via steam VR's  settings/open xr/manage open xr layers)

I've found that the order of the stack can affect things too

I checked that and I can see it is active in the open XR layers. Do you know where it should go in the order? At the moment I have (top to bottom) XRNS, QVFR, OXRTK then HTCC. 

I'll check once I'm home and let you know, but i guess no harm in temporarily re ordering them to see what happens 🙂 

maybe try disabling quadviews and oxtoolkit within the stack just to test. 

if you can't re order them, i think fred has a utility for changing the stack

Edited by Dogmanbird
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dogmanbird said:

if you can't re order them, i think fred has a utility for changing the stack

Yes. I have that one and will give it a go. Good idea to turn all other layers off. I should have thought of that. 

4 hours ago, Dogmanbird said:

my htcc settings

nullnull

image.png

image.png

Thanks. My settings are pretty much as yours. I tried matching them exactly and still no joy. Then I tried VD instead of oculus and it work! Something must have changed with the v64 version. 

Edit: it works but I have a conflict with head tracking. The cursor moves the opposite direction to my head movement and the hand tracking is overlayed on this. This makes it unusable. Has anyone else had this issue? 

Edited by Qcumber