Antenna Elevation on Orion2 15E Throttle

Muas

How is the radar antenna elevation meant to be operated on the 15E throttle?

I understand the pinky rotary is an encoder (not an axis, not center spring loaded), so I believe it will throw pulses for the down/up antenna movement.

Does this mean it is a jumpy movement, not continuously smooth?

Anyone with experience on this to tell how efficiently this works?

Thank you.

i honestly don't know the answer to the question... but i suspect it would be quicker to test it than ask it ... 

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

1 hour ago, Muas said:

How is the radar antenna elevation meant to be operated on the 15E throttle?

I understand the pinky rotary is an encoder (not an axis, not center spring loaded), so I believe it will throw pulses for the down/up antenna movement.

Does this mean it is a jumpy movement, not continuously smooth?

Anyone with experience on this to tell how efficiently this works?

Thank you.

In my opinion it is perfectly smooth and precise. I do not use it however simply due to the fact that it's not spring loaded. Having to manually return it to the center after every elevation input is annoying as hell - the feel for the center detent  is very faint and vague, so I ended up mapping it on my TM F-18 stick.

Pentium II 233Mhz | 16MB RAM | 14.4kb Modem | 1.44MB Floppy Disk Drive | Windows 3.1 with TM Warthog & TrackIR 5

1 hour ago, Muas said:

The pinky rotary is an axis, with a center detent. Not spring loaded.

The right F-15EX throttle also has an axis that is spring loaded to center, which works more like the pinky rotary in the real airplane.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

5 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

i honestly don't know the answer to the question... but i suspect it would be quicker to test it than ask it ... 

I don't own the device, I'm still trying to decide on which one... that's why.

4 hours ago, eFirehawk said:

In my opinion it is perfectly smooth and precise. I do not use it however simply due to the fact that it's not spring loaded. Having to manually return it to the center after every elevation input is annoying as hell - the feel for the center detent  is very faint and vague, so I ended up mapping it on my TM F-18 stick.

Yes, without the center spring it's a pain to operate, better to map two keys then...

4 hours ago, some1 said:

The pinky rotary is an axis, with a center detent. Not spring loaded.

The right F-15EX throttle also has an axis that is spring loaded to center, which works more like the pinky rotary in the real airplane.

Yeah, I know the EX has that one, just don't understand why they didn't put a spring on the pinky rotary since (at least) the E was supposed to be a replica of the RL one.

Anyway, thank you all for your answers.

@Muas I have this device.  I find there are many options for spring loaded vs non spring, axis vs non axis.  So, I would bet that you could find a combination that works to your liking.  Sure, some of the button / wheel / encoders may not be 100% realistic to the specific airframes, but the flexibility is key.

On 1/18/2024 at 6:38 PM, Keith Briscoe said:

@Muas I have this device.  I find there are many options for spring loaded vs non spring, axis vs non axis.  So, I would bet that you could find a combination that works to your liking.  Sure, some of the button / wheel / encoders may not be 100% realistic to the specific airframes, but the flexibility is key.

I choosed the F-15EX, even though I fly the F-18 more often, but because it also has a spring loaded wheel for the radar antenna, and of course, there are a lot more buttons which are helpfull for VR flying. Yes flexibility is key. Thanks.