DL members without TEAM and without PRI?

FalcoGer
Go to solution Solved by Raptor9,

What's the point of having datalink members without the TEAM or PRI option selected?

PRI allows receiving and transmitting of reports and single points on the TSD page.

TEAM allows receiving and transmitting of mission data, such as whole point files, routes, laser codes, text, etc.

So what's the point in having net members that are neither? You can't send them anything.

I can understand having someone as primary, but not in team. And there might even be some scenarios where you want someone in team but not primary, although I can't imagine one. But neither really does seem pointless.

Edited by FalcoGer

• ED Team
  • Solution
2 hours ago, FalcoGer said:

What's the point of having datalink members without the TEAM or PRI option selected?

I can understand having someone as primary, but not in team. And there might even be some scenarios where you want someone in team but not primary, although I can't imagine one. But neither really does seem pointless.

Just because you can de-select both TEAM and PRI, does not mean there is a functional purpose behind that possibility with regards to datalink. I think you are inferring that potential combination of settings as having a datalink function, rather than simply a result of the fact that each are independently selectable. If you have two separate rooms in your house, both likely have a switch controlling lights in each room independently of the other. You could have lights in either room turned on while the other was turned off, you could have lights in both rooms turned on, or you could have lights in neither rooms turned on. But that doesn't mean that walking around in the dark bumping into things with neither rooms' lights turned on serves a distinct function.

Having said that, having potential network members already added into a network but de-selected from receiving traffic serves a function of contingency. They may not be needing to receive datalink traffic now, but they may at some other point in the mission. It's a lot easier when planning ahead than assuming that everything is always perfectly configured as planned.

Also, I would like to point out that you have the TEAM and PRI functions backwards. That might be leading to confusion with understanding why one might be set up to receive only one type compared to the other, and why you can have everyone in a given network as TEAM but not PRI. This is described in the DCS Early Access Guide.

• Like 3

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head