Disabling ASW in Quest 3

Go to solution Solved by davidrbarnette,

Hi,

Recently i got new computer and started VR with Quest 3 PCVR.

I am suffering with FPS fluctuation switching 72 and 36FPS every seconds resulting stuttering.

It seems ASW keeps cycling work and stop. I started Oculus debug tool as admin and disable it or tried Forced 45 disabling ASW but it did not work somehow. I also tried disable ASW with Oculus Tray Tool, however FPS in DCS just keep switching 72/36 instead of gradually going down from 72 to 60, 50, 40... 

Is there anyway to disable ASW in DCS or any plan to have that fuction like MSFS?

Thanks,

Core I7-13700F

64GB RAM(DDR5-4800)

RTX4070

SSD 2TB

VR Quest 3 Genuine Meta Link Cable

Edited by =Garuda=

7 hours ago, =Garuda= said:

Hi,

Recently i got new computer and started VR with Quest 3 PCVR.

I am suffering with FPS fluctuation switching 72 and 36FPS every seconds resulting stuttering.

It seems ASW keeps cycling work and stop. I started Oculus debug tool as admin and disable it or tried Forced 45 disabling ASW but it did not work somehow. I also tried disable ASW with Oculus Tray Tool, however FPS in DCS just keep switching 72/36 instead of gradually going down from 72 to 60, 50, 40... 

Is there anyway to disable ASW in DCS or any plan to have that fuction like MSFS?

Thanks,

Core I7-13700F

64GB RAM(DDR5-4800)

RTX4070

SSD 2TB

VR Quest 3 Genuine Meta Link Cable

You can also install Oculus tray tool. This gives you more control and you can use keybinds to switch through the different ASW options. It also allows control of higher bitrate and super sampling. 

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

7 hours ago, =Garuda= said:

Qcumber,

Thanks for your advice. I installed Oculus Tray Tool as you mentioned and tried several options including 45Hz forced, but my DCS doesn’t reflect those settings somehow.

Change the in game FPS to limit it to the lower setting. In my case I limit it to 40 for my rift S

7 hours ago, ricktoberfest said:

Change the in game FPS to limit it to the lower setting. In my case I limit it to 40 for my rift S

Thank you for the advice.

Sure, I tried it by FPS limiter in DCS and also Nvidia control panel at 40 and 50FPS as well. ASW still want switch back to 40FPS or 50FPS frequently causing stuttering. Setting 36 also creates stuttering.

I see smooth higher FPS result with DLSS On but it is too ugly / ghosty for close gunfight with WW2 aircraft. IL2 Stalingrad VR doesn’t require DLSS and keep solid 72FPS with much higher settings. I know it is totally different sim, but I personally thought my new PC is not as bad even not as the best and will be reasonable level to market as VR user as good customer population (and IL2 works at least!)

On the other hand, I also tried and got smoother result to put more load on PC with MSAA and Pixel Density 1.4 trying with initial flight for furball in Channel map. It locks 36FPS with constant ASW working, however, if you fly in P51 bluenosed bastards in Normandy, flying over Dover, ASW start switching back off and on intermittently and makes stuttering. Then when you gunfighting around bombers with 109s, you don’t have enough power to generate playable FPS because of heavy load.

So I decided myself to try and find my sweet spot with DLSS off and ASW off with PD1.0 or hopefully just a bit more PD like 1.1.

Core I7-13700F

64GB RAM(DDR5-4800)

RTX4070

SSD 2TB

VR : Quest 3 Genuine Meta Link Cable

Edited by =Garuda=

You wont get stable 72 fps with a Quest 3 at 1.4 pd, MSAA enabled with a 4070, i get 72 fps stables with around that resolution, with DLSS on a 4090, so you can get an idea giving a 4090 can double the performance of a 4070 at high resolution

Have you tried ASW always enabled instead of disable? i never got good results with ASW disabled unless i achieve the target FPS

Edited by 5ephir0th

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

18 minutes ago, 5ephir0th said:

You wont get stable 72 fps with a Quest 3 at 1.4 pd, MSAA enabled with a 4070, i get 72 fps stables with around that resolution, with DLSS on a 4090, so you can get an idea giving a 4090 can double the performance of a 4070 at high resolution

Have you tried ASW always enabled instead of disable? i never got good results with ASW disabled unless i achieve the target FPS

5ephir0th,

yes, I wanted to try ASW disabled and also force enabled as you pointed and that’s where I had difficulty with. My Oculus Debug Tool settings and Oculus Tray Tool settings on ASW do not affect on DCS somehow despite of using as admin.

I need to try with Ctrl+Num 1 hot key on Quest link application.

21 hours ago, =Garuda= said:

Qcumber,

Thanks for your advice. I installed Oculus Tray Tool as you mentioned and tried several options including 45Hz forced, but my DCS doesn’t reflect those settings somehow.

Try setting keybinds from within OTT. This lets you choose or cycle through various ASW settings. Voice feedback let's you know when the setting has changed. You can even bind these keys to HOTAS buttons using joytokey. 

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

17 hours ago, Qcumber said:

Try setting keybinds from within OTT. This lets you choose or cycle through various ASW settings. Voice feedback let's you know when the setting has changed. You can even bind these keys to HOTAS buttons using joytokey. 

Will try it and see what happens when I get back home next week since now I’m out of town, but thank you for the advice.

• 2 weeks later...

All,

I have tried Ctrl +Num1 and found it is much smoother disabling ASW for my system rather than ASW auto or Force ASW in half FPS.

I am setting 72FPS as default of Meta quest 3, so OTT gave 36FPS for force ASW mode.

Force ASW is OK but not smooth enough for gun fighting between P51 and FW190A8 in Channel map in instant action.

I could increase PD to 1.1 without dropping much FPS disabling ASW with foveated rendering with Quality x Balanced.

For my note, I just write down the Hotkeys for ASW.

Ctrl+Num1 Disable ASW

Ctrl+Num2 Half FPS with ASW disabled

Ctrl+Num3 Half FPS with Force ASW

Ctrl+Num4 Auto ASW

Anyway, thank you for all who gave me advices !!

Core I7-13700F

64GB RAM(DDR5-4800)

RTX4070

SSD 2TB

VR Quest 3 Genuine Meta Link Cable

Edited by =Garuda=

• 1 month later...

Forgive my ignorance here, but with Oculus users, is there no way to set a a line in the autoexec that will disable AWS altogether instead of using the hot keys or using the OculusDebugTool? 

Edited by Wood

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]