Vivianne camera recentre bug

PinkCube

If you hit the recenter button while you have axis input to the camera, the recenter button will break and the TV camera will start to drift (create a false input).

To make the recenter button work again you need to use a button to control the Vivienne camera movement to eliminate the drift caused by a false axis input.

This will fix the recenter button and make it work again.

Edited by PinkCube

• 1 month later...

Just to confirm - I, too, have managed to achieve that strange drift after flicking the recenter switch pressing the recenter button. Interestingly it only happened to me once, most of the time the switch just works. OTOH it's worth noting I'm new to the beautiful Gazelle, so haven't had a lot of time and a lot of opportunities to experience that phenomenon.

I didn't try buttons for training the camera, I'm using axes, so the only solution (one that I could quickly find) to stop the drift was to quit the mission. Not a perfect remedy 😉

Edited by scoobie

i7-8700K 32GB 2060(6GB) 27"@1080p TM Hawg HOTAS TPR TIR5 SD-XL 2xSD+ HC Bravo button/pot box

I can confirm the uncontrollable drift; Monitor goes black, re-center button does nothing until suddenly monitor comes to life, but camera is uncontrollable.
I've had to give up countless missions because of this.

Edited by Moxica

ASUS ROG Strix B550-E GAMING - PNY GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming VERTO EPIC-X  - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 64Gb RAM - 2x2Tb M2 - Win11 - HP Reverb g2 - Oculus Quest 2 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder - 2X Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

On 2/28/2024 at 8:58 PM, Moxica said:

I can confirm the uncontrollable drift; Monitor goes black, re-center button does nothing until suddenly monitor comes to life, but camera is uncontrollable.
I've had to give up countless missions because of this.

Switch it to boresight instead?

On 3/2/2024 at 3:57 PM, MAXsenna said:

Switch it to boresight instead?

Whaddyamean boresight?  Wut?

ASUS ROG Strix B550-E GAMING - PNY GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming VERTO EPIC-X  - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 64Gb RAM - 2x2Tb M2 - Win11 - HP Reverb g2 - Oculus Quest 2 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder - 2X Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

2 hours ago, Moxica said:
Whaddyamean boresight?  Wut?

You know the switch you dial all the way CW, and one step back (CCW), to make it gyro stabalized? If you click it all the way CW. That's boresight. Btw. It's completely normal that the screen goes black when the camera is looking into the housing. If you want it to turn back to the point you are already aiming, just turn slowly around until it's natural for the camera to turn around again. I assume you somtimes see the rotor spinning? That's the opposite extreme, for the camera, compared to look into the housing.
Cheers!

PS: I'm soon home, and I'll grab a screen.

Edit: IIRC. If the camera is looking at the rotor, turn left right. If it is black and is looking into the housing. Turn right left.
Edit2: I mixed up which side of the helicopter the Vivianne is placed. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

Edited by MAXsenna
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 2/28/2024 at 9:34 AM, scoobie said:

Just to confirm - I, too, have managed to achieve that strange drift after flicking the recenter switch pressing the recenter button. Interestingly it only happened to me once, most of the time the switch just works. OTOH it's worth noting I'm new to the beautiful Gazelle, so haven't had a lot of time and a lot of opportunities to experience that phenomenon.

I didn't try buttons for training the camera, I'm using axes, so the only solution (one that I could quickly find) to stop the drift was to quit the mission. Not a perfect remedy 😉

You will have to tap a button on your keyboard to control the camera or bind a button input to slew the camera. This will reset the false axis input it seems to create (caused by pressing recenter while having a camera slew axis input) and allow the re-centering to work again.

Edited by PinkCube
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MAXsenna said:

You know the switch you dial all the way CW, and one step back (CCW), to make it gyro stabalized? If you click it all the way CW. That's boresight. Btw. It's completely normal that the screen goes black when the camera is looking into the housing. If you want it to turn back to the point you are already aiming, just turn slowly around until it's natural for the camera to turn around again. I assume you somtimes see the rotor spinning? That's the opposite extreme, for the camera, compared to look into the housing. emoji6.png
Cheers!

PS: I'm soon home, and I'll grab a screen.

Edit: IIRC. If the camera is looking at the rotor, turn left. If it is black and is looking into the housing. Turn right.

Yeah. I know which button you mean. I'll try. (I think I've triad allready, though. You know.. "clicking everything" when having a malfunction..) 😛 
Thing is; Re-center stops working, Annoying af.

Alright guys! Tested this. @PinkCube I could not reproduce. Are you able to reproduce with a track? For me it works exactly as I anticipated. What might happen, is that when you have pressed the re-center button/switch and then barely touch your camera axis when the camera is re-entering. You have basically screwed up. THAT might be a bug. Maybe the inputs should be "paused" while the camera re-centers. I don' know. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I have provide a track that shows everything I described above. Except that I got the turning left/right wrong to get the camera out of it's housing.

@Moxica If you select "Ass". You slave it to boresight. Re-center works perfectly. Both with the re-center switch, or selecting "Ass". You just need patience, because it takes time. Watch my track and you will see. I turn left and right to get the camera to it's extremes, and you will understand what I mean. It's easy. Just DO NOT touch the camera axis while it is moving. During the whole track I DON'T TOUCH the keyboard. Only my second TM T16.000 joystick.
Cheers!

image.pngSA342 - Vivianne re-center bug . (Not a bug). Works as intended.03.03.24.trk

14 minutes ago, PinkCube said:

You will have to tap a button on your keyboard to control the camera or bind a button input to slew the camera. This will reset the false axis input it seems to create (caused by pressing recenter while having a camera slew axis input) and allow the re-centering to work again.

I don't see what you experience at all. What kind of hardware are you using to slew the camera?

• Thanks 1

Hmm..
I have assigned the HOT3 selector to a rotary.
Sitting here at work, I wonder if that one "ASS/Boresight" control is also bound to the (next) rotary, and that I might have come to touch that one by accident from time to time..
Fumbling blindly from behind the VR goggles.  You know.. Those things happen.
Thx for bringing it to my attention, MAXsenna!

Edited by Moxica
  • Like 1

Hmm..
I have assigned the HOT3 selector to a rotary.
Sitting here at work, I wonder if that one "ASS/Boresight" control is also bound to the (next) rotary, and that I might have come to touch that one by accident from time to time..
Fumbling blindly from behind the VR goggles.  You know.. Those things happen.
Thx for bringing it to my attention, MAXsenna!

I see. Might have a conflict between pilot/copilot too?

On 3/3/2024 at 8:01 PM, MAXsenna said:

Alright guys! Tested this. @PinkCube I could not reproduce. Are you able to reproduce with a track? For me it works exactly as I anticipated. What might happen, is that when you have pressed the re-center button/switch and then barely touch your camera axis when the camera is re-entering. You have basically screwed up. THAT might be a bug. Maybe the inputs should be "paused" while the camera re-centers. I don' know. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I have not flown the gazelle since the last update. I will produce a track when I rebind the controls. It's not just me that had that bug, a friend had the same issue which prompted me to start mashing buttons and find the quick fix.

This workerd for me.... I have a winwing orion hotas, so I binded the movement to axis, I discovered that If I do this....the problems that you describes starts, no recentering etc....so, I assign the movement axis to keyboard strokes, (winwing can have axis and buttons at the same hotas), at this moment, the recenter button works perfect, so if you can't bind buttons to your axis like me, only have to press the key up, or down,left or right assigned to move the vivian at your keyboard and instantly the center button should work fine.

Intel i9 10850k - MSI Tomahawk 490z - 64 GB DDR4 3000 - HP Reverb G2 - MSI optix Mag321curv 4k monitor - MSI RTX 3080ti - Winwing Orion Throttle base plus F18 stick

On 3/5/2024 at 10:24 PM, MAXsenna said:

Have you guys set a deadzone for whatever you use to slew the VIvianne?

I was just thinking about that just now, as I've flown for HOURS when suddenly it stopped working, and it just hangs there like a fricken paralyzed leg on a broken spine. "Boresight" does nothing.
But I checked, and there is no signal when centered. Even if that was the culprit, how can one reactivate, Because it does not react to any input.
Damn that was way more than annoying!
My beer went all flat from me cursing,

Edited by Moxica

I was just thinking about that just now, as I've flown for HOURS when suddenly it stopped working, and it just hangs there like a fricken paralyzed leg on a broken spine. "Boresight" does nothing.
But I checked, and there is no signal when centered. Even if that was the culprit, how can one reactivate, Because it does not react to any input.
Damn that was way more than annoying!
My beer went all flat from me cursing,
But chance. Did you re-center the sight while moving it?

15 minutes ago, MAXsenna said:

But chance. Did you re-center the sight while moving it?

Don't think so. I turned it off every time I went back to the boat to rearm. Last (seventh) time I turned it on, it was like that. 😕 

Don't think so. I turned it off every time I went back to the boat to rearm. Last (seventh) time I turned it on, it was like that.  
I see. Well, the devs will need tracks I guess.

40 minutes ago, MAXsenna said:

I see. Well, the devs will need tracks I guess. emoji2373.png

Well, this was mission 6 i think, from the Combat Order - Falkland 1982 V1.1 campaign.
It took hours before I had to give up.

• Like 1

Well, this was mission 6 i think, from the Combat Order - Falkland 1982 V1.1 campaign.
It took hours before I had to give up.
I'm playing that one as well. Only mission 3 so far. Will see if can get there. How do chose the M at mission start?

45 minutes ago, MAXsenna said:

I'm playing that one as well. Only mission 3 so far. Will see if can get there. How do chose the M at mission start?

I used the mission editor, and changed all to the M.
I fly the M only.
Great campaign, by the way.

Edited by Moxica
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, MAXsenna said:

Roger! Same as me then. emoji4.png

Cool! 🙂
On mission00, though.. You'll have to use machine gun. (Tug boat mission)
-So I tried, and I discovered I'm getting better.
And then I tried the machine gun (In stead of HOT3) on mission 01, and it worked great.
Som holes in canopy, but landed safely after:
Mission success!   🙂
Very nice campaign. @
Chef98 should make more Gazelle stuff.
Good music choices, but in spite of that, I took out some of the music.
-I like the rotorsound better.

Edited by Moxica
  • Like 1

Cool! 
On mission00, though.. You'll have to use machine gun. (Tug boat mission)
-So I tried, and I discovered I'm getting better.
And then I tried the machine gun (In stead of HOT3) on mission 01, and it worked great.
Som holes in canopy, but landed safely after:
Mission success!   
Very nice campaign. Good music choices, but in spite of that, I took out some of the music.
-I like the rotorsound better.
Yeah! I've done the tugboat.