F4U Corsair vs F6F Hellcat | Which was the better fighter?

DishDoggie

• 1 month later...

My 8 year old believes the Hellcat is better because it wasn't as hard to land on a carrier.  His belief was that both can fly, shoot bad guys down, and protect America, but thought it was silly that the Corsair couldn't do exactly what it was designed for (thanks to my engineer wife).  The fact that the British figured out how to land it on a carrier reliably didn't sway him.

Dang it, I can't disagree with that logic!

FYI: He likes the Corsair more since we watch Black Sheep Squadron on Saturday mornings.  Mind you, he's not a genius.  Just loves planes and WWII stories.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ddc196 said:

F6F.

F4U. 

The carrier problem was between the stick and chair, and a lot of politics, and some bullet (and reality) proof egos.

Besides, I have a shelf full of F4U books, exactly...zero F6F books, and I'm an engineer.  That's enough logic for me.

Edited by Raisuli
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Raisuli said:

And Tunderbolt! by Robert S. Johnson, side by side so they can tell lies war stories to each other. 

Interesting never come across anyone calling an older pilot a liar before can you give me some examples please ?

Tall tales are a thing in a lot story telling. Also, I believe it is though that numbers were inflated by his writer to help sell books. Anyways, it was more his perspective I was focusing on.  

Edited by ddc196

AMD Ryzen 9 5900 - AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT - 64GB 3200 - Win 11 - 2 TB SSD (game drive) - Quest 3.

3 hours ago, freehand said:

Interesting never come across anyone calling an older pilot a liar before can you give me some examples please ?

You make a valid point.  At no time in history has any pilot, older or otherwise, embellished a story to sell a book or a speaking engagement.  Come to think of it us older people never embellish anything.  Nothing but documented facts with multiple eyeball witness.

I sit corrected.

F4U is still a better aircraft than the F6F, and I knew a guy who taught flat spin recovery in the F6F during that war.  Just look at how long they lasted once that little disagreement ended; which aircraft keeps flying, and which one gets turned into cooking utensils...  🙂

Edited by Raisuli
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Raisuli said:

You make a valid point.  At no time in history has any pilot, older or otherwise, embellished a story to sell a book or a speaking engagement.  Come to think of it us older people never embellish anything.  Nothing but documented facts with multiple eyeball witness.

I sit corrected.

F4U is still a better aircraft than the F6F, and I knew a guy who taught flat spin recovery in the F6F during that war.  Just look at how long they lasted once that little disagreement ended; which aircraft keeps flying, and which one gets turned into cooking utensils...  🙂

Sarcasm the lowest form of wit but point taken. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The Corsair looks cooler, and was flown by Marines, so it's the better aircraft.  Undebatable due to these objective facts.

• Like 2

Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 32 GB DDR5, 1 TB SSD, GeForce RTX 4080

Oculus Quest 3 VR, Winwing Top Gun MIP, Orion 2 18 Joystick Combo, Orion 2 F-18 Throttle Combo, PTO 2 Take-Off Panel, Skywalker Rudder Pedals

15 minutes ago, AeroGrappler said:

The Corsair looks cooler, and was flown by Marines, so it's the better aircraft.  Undebatable due to these objective facts.

Wait until both are out. Pick a marine pilot (ex or current) to fly the Corsair and a navy pilot (ex or current) to fly the hellcat then you will know for sure. 😉

I can see this on a future Mover and Gonky show. 

BTW, the Royal Navy also flew Corsairs and Hellcats too, so perhaps they could count as an alternative perspective!?

• Like 1

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro