Add a 'Default' Control Assignment layer(Aircraft Control Mode)

Snacko

Add a Control Assignments Layer that would be a default for all aircraft, unless overridden by the specific aircrafts assignments.

Or is this already functional in the game somewhere????

I would like to assign some common commands there to the same Hat on my stick/throttle that would be used for every aircraft.   Specifically, things like Kneeboard commands, Trim commands, View Commands, Comms...   Even Axis like Pitch; Roll; Throttle would be great there.  

• Like 1

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

You can already use the Save/Load Profile function to copy a controller setup from module to another. Obviously you can’t copy aircraft specific functions but things like the axis or trim commands etc will get copied. 

Edited by SharpeXB

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Thanks.

Do you know what that 'Default' folder is, that is within the config/inputs folder?  I wonder if that is what I am looking for?

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

26 minutes ago, Snacko said:

Thanks.

Do you know what that 'Default' folder is, that is within the config/inputs folder?  I wonder if that is what I am looking for?

It saves them here:

C:\Users\yourName\Saved Games\DCS\InputUserProfiles

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Actually I was referring to this folder:

../Saved Games/config/input/Default

23 hours ago, Snacko said:

Add a Control Assignments Layer that would be a default for all aircraft, unless overridden by the specific aircrafts assignments.

Or is this already functional in the game somewhere????

I would like to assign some common commands there to the same Hat on my stick/throttle that would be used for every aircraft.   Specifically, things like Kneeboard commands, Trim commands, View Commands, Comms...   Even Axis like Pitch; Roll; Throttle would be great there.  

We don't have a default setting option. I have asked for this as well. 

1 hour ago, upyr1 said:

We don't have a default setting option. I have asked for this as well. 

We actually have this already. The game pre-assigning your controls is rather problematic but you can easily create your own default profile for any device. Any of the simple commands like the flight control axes, brakes, comms, trim, views etc. pretty much anything you see with a simple keyboard command assigned are generic across the modules or so it appears. If you were so inclined you could set up a default stick or throttle arrangement provided all those commands are truly universal, save that and load it into multiple modules. For example I have my rudder pedals saved like that, all those commands are generic; rudder & toe brakes. It will load into any module afaik along with the response curves and such I have set up for them. This is only so useful since the modules also have many unique commands but if I ever found myself reassigning a lot of aircraft with a new controller or such I might get more organized about it. 

Edited by SharpeXB

6 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

We actually have this already. The game pre-assigning your controls is rather problematic but you can easily create your own default profile for any device. Any of the simple commands like the flight control axes, brakes, comms, trim, views etc. pretty much anything you see with a simple keyboard command assigned are generic across the modules or so it appears. If you were so inclined you could set up a default stick or throttle arrangement provided all those commands are truly universal, save that and load it into multiple modules. For example I have my rudder pedals saved like that, all those commands are generic; rudder & toe brakes. It will load into any module afaik along with the response curves and such I have set up for them. This is only so useful since the modules also have many unique commands but if I ever found myself reassigning a lot of aircraft with a new controller or such I might get more organized about it. 

The ability to assign default controls would make the auto assign work better 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, upyr1 said:

The ability to assign default controls would make the auto assign work better 

The game already assigns default controls but it’s really problematic. You’re better off just clearing all the assignments and doing it yourself. The game does things like assigning POV hat controls which won’t be used if you have head tracking or VR. It will assign throttle inputs to both a stick slider and throttle since it doesn’t know if you have a separate throttle. Auto assigning commands is rather pointless and probably causes more confusion. Unless it’s one of these module specific HOTAS setups like the Warthog or Winwing controllers it would be best if the game just left them blank. 
Assigning controls is very easy and only takes a few minutes. I don’t imagine most people buy new controllers very often or that many modules all at once. If you do end up with that circumstance it’s already very easy to deal with. I’m sure the one thing ED can never do with this menu is change it in a way that screws up everyone’s setting. 

Edited by SharpeXB

On 1/29/2024 at 9:36 PM, SharpeXB said:

The game already assigns default controls but it’s really problematic. You’re better off just clearing all the assignments and doing it yourself. The game does things like assigning POV hat controls which won’t be used if you have head tracking or VR. It will assign throttle inputs to both a stick slider and throttle since it doesn’t know if you have a separate throttle. Auto assigning commands is rather pointless and probably causes more confusion. Unless it’s one of these module specific HOTAS setups like the Warthog or Winwing controllers it would be best if the game just left them blank. 
Assigning controls is very easy and only takes a few minutes. I don’t imagine most people buy new controllers very often or that many modules all at once. If you do end up with that circumstance it’s already very easy to deal with. I’m sure the one thing ED can never do with this menu is change it in a way that screws up everyone’s setting. 

I know what DCS does by default which is why I stated before the request is to set up a profile called common controls where you set up your stick, rudder, throttle(s), trim, triggers, TDC, brakes and the like that when you get a module it will assign controls based on the profile so it doesn't do stuff assign your rudders to a throttle axis. 

28 minutes ago, upyr1 said:

I know what DCS does by default which is why I stated before the request is to set up a profile called common controls where you set up your stick, rudder, throttle(s), trim, triggers, TDC, brakes and the like that when you get a module it will assign controls based on the profile so it doesn't do stuff assign your rudders to a throttle axis. 

Sure I suppose the game could just have a placeholder “default” module to use for this. What you can usually do is just copy the scheme from a similar aircraft as a starting point. That’s just mildly useful since there aren’t really that many common controls. 

Edited by SharpeXB