Question on fuse delays

Nereid

I was testing fuse delays on 500 lb short tails and set the nose fuse to 11 and the tail fuse to 0 seconds. I though if I just arm the nose fuse in the cockpit the bomb would detonate 11 seconds after impact because of the delay of the nose fuse the tail fuse isn't armed. But it detonates instantly after impact. Is this correct or a bug? If I set both fuses to 11 seconds the delay works.

And was does "plugged" mean for a fuse? No fuse?

DCS:A-10C / DCS:Ka-50 / DCS:UH-1H / DCS:Mig21bis / DCS:P-51D / DCS:Mi-8MTV2 / DCS:Fw190D9 / DCS:Bf109K4 / DCS:C-101EB / DCS:L-39C / DCS:F-5E / DCS:Spitfire LF Mk. IX / DCS:AJS37

1 hour ago, Nereid said:

I was testing fuse delays on 500 lb short tails and set the nose fuse to 11 and the tail fuse to 0 seconds. I though if I just arm the nose fuse in the cockpit the bomb would detonate 11 seconds after impact because of the delay of the nose fuse the tail fuse isn't armed. But it detonates instantly after impact. Is this correct or a bug? If I set both fuses to 11 seconds the delay works.

And was does "plugged" mean for a fuse? No fuse?

you're supposed to use only 1 fuse, either tail or the nose one. Not both. If you're using the nose one then set the tail one as 'plugged' and vice versa.

8 hours ago, peachmonkey said:

you're supposed to use only 1 fuse, either tail or the nose one. Not both. If you're using the nose one then set the tail one as 'plugged' and vice versa.

Why do we have a nose/tail fusing selector in the panel?

Edited by Bozon
  • Like 1

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

20 hours ago, peachmonkey said:

So as Bozon asked: Why is there a nose/tail fusing selector in the panel? Why does an unarmed fuse cause a detonation? Then an unarmed nose fuse wiithout a tail fuse should detonate too. Or does the nose/tail selector arms both fuses and is there just for eye candy?

Don't get me wrong: Maybe it worked that way for some strange reasons. But chances are it is just wrong.

DCS:A-10C / DCS:Ka-50 / DCS:UH-1H / DCS:Mig21bis / DCS:P-51D / DCS:Mi-8MTV2 / DCS:Fw190D9 / DCS:Bf109K4 / DCS:C-101EB / DCS:L-39C / DCS:F-5E / DCS:Spitfire LF Mk. IX / DCS:AJS37

3 hours ago, Nereid said:

So as Bozon asked: Why is there a nose/tail fusing selector in the panel? Why does an unarmed fuse cause a detonation? Then an unarmed nose fuse wiithout a tail fuse should detonate too. Or does the nose/tail selector arms both fuses and is there just for eye candy?

Don't get me wrong: Maybe it worked that way for some strange reasons. But chances are it is just wrong.

those are all excellent questions for ED to answer.

hi, @NineLine, can you possibly clarify the above? Is this a bug (since the option to arm nose or tail is only present in Mosquito)  ?

If you have a nose pistol, switch nose.

If you have a tail pistol, switch tail.

If you have a nose and tail pistol, switch nose and tail.

In reality, nose pistols, (such as 27] were all instantaneous. No delay detonator. They have a plunger which was pushed into the detonator when it hit the ground.

Tail pistols operated by inertia and could use delay detonators from 0 secs up to 144 hours. They were always in the tail where they had some protection on impact.

In general British used tail only, (no point in wasting pistols), with an option to use nose. American tended to use 2.

In game there is no point in using nose delay.

• Like 1

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

3 hours ago, Holbeach said:

If you have a nose pistol, switch nose.

If you have a tail pistol, switch tail.

If you have a nose and tail pistol, switch nose and tail.

In reality, nose pistols, (such as 27] were all instantaneous. No delay detonator. They have a plunger which was pushed into the detonator when it hit the ground.

Tail pistols operated by inertia and could use delay detonators from 0 secs up to 144 hours. They were always in the tail where they had some protection on impact.

In general British used tail only, (no point in wasting pistols), with an option to use nose. American tended to use 2.

In game there is no point in using nose delay.

Thanks. 

Regardless of historical practice, if the bomb was to be equipped with a nose instantaneous fuse and a tail delayed fuse, the pilot could have in principle select between instantaneous and delayed detonation by selecting which fuse to arm - not so?

• Like 1

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

On 1/30/2024 at 1:39 PM, Bozon said:

Thanks. 

Regardless of historical practice, if the bomb was to be equipped with a nose instantaneous fuse and a tail delayed fuse, the pilot could have in principle select between instantaneous and delayed detonation by selecting which fuse to arm - not so?

From a game point of view, that is what you would expect, but the nose fuse has no effect.

Only the tail fuse actually works.

If you select 0 nose and 11 tail, you will get 11 secs delay.

Select 11 nose and 0 tail, you will get 0 secs delay. Etc.

• Like 2

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

1 hour ago, Holbeach said:

From a game point of view, that is what you would expect, but the nose fuse has no effect.

Only the tail fuse actually works.

So the tail fuse is armed when the nose fuse is armed? Because the bomb detonates with a unarmed tail fuse too... And THAT was my question.

Edited by Nereid
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Nereid said:

So the tail fuse is armed when the nose fuse is armed? Because the bomb detonates with a unarmed tail fuse too... And THAT was my question.

The armed nose fuse will explode at the unarmed tail setting, unless you plug the tail well, which disables the tail .

2 hours ago, Holbeach said:

The armed nose fuse will explode at the unarmed tail setting, unless you plug the tail well, which disables the tail .

That has to be a bug.

• Like 2

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

8 minutes ago, Bozon said:

That has to be a bug.

That would be my conclusion

However you juggle the fuses, you only get one choice per bomb, (4 tail fuses cover it).

Edited by Holbeach

57 minutes ago, Bozon said:

That has to be a bug.

I tend to agree. If not there is a detailed explanation neccessary in the manual.

And if I remeber it correctly the default is 0 seconds for both fuses and both are installed by default. If you change just one of them and deliver them low, it will be a nasty surprise...

Not exactly a bug, but only one fuse can be used per bomb, timed at one end and plugged at the other to make it work correctly.

This means you could have a different time on each bomb, if you so desired.

Which end you chose makes no difference.

17 hours ago, Holbeach said:

Not exactly a bug, but only one fuse can be used per bomb, timed at one end and plugged at the other to make it work correctly.

Then again the question remains unanswered: Why does an unarmed fuse detonate the bomb if two fues are used but not if one fuse is used? And we do have the option to use two fuses (that is undenyable).

17 hours ago, Holbeach said:

This means you could have a different time on each bomb, if you so desired.

This has nothing todo with head or tail fuses

Edited by Nereid
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/6/2024 at 11:30 AM, Nereid said:

Then again the question remains unanswered: Why does an unarmed fuse detonate the bomb if two fues are used but not if one fuse is used? And we do have the option to use two fuses (that is undenyable).

Probably because it's a bug. Fuzing options were introduced recently and the switchology doesn't necessarily work correctly. IRL, if both fuzes are in, if you've got nose or nose/tail armed, you should get instant detonation, while if you've only got tail only, it'll give you delayed detonation. That's the way it should work in DCS, too.

• Like 1

On 3/2/2024 at 9:35 AM, Dragon1-1 said:

Probably because it's a bug. Fuzing options were introduced recently and the switchology doesn't necessarily work correctly. IRL, if both fuzes are in, if you've got nose or nose/tail armed, you should get instant detonation, while if you've only got tail only, it'll give you delayed detonation. That's the way it should work in DCS, too.

I would tend to agree.

• Like 1