Glide distance [info]

To whom ever it may concern:

Slick Su-27 with about 3t of fuel oe less, needs 10 x height in km distance to glide safely back to base.
For example: height is 3km x 10 = 30km glide distance required in order to land safely with engines off.

Edited by Pavlin_33

i5-4690K CPU 3.50Ghz @ 4.10GHz; 32GB DDR3 1600MHz; GeForce GTX 1660 Super; LG IPS225@1920x1080; Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB; Windows 10 Pro

5 minutes ago, Ironhand said:

Out of curiosity, what airspeed and/or sink rate did you use to achieve that 10:1 glide ratio?

and also meteo conditions. do they still have their wings? Is base commander cool with the results? important and even critical questions indeed!

• Thanks 1

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

1 hour ago, WildBillKelsoe said:

and also meteo conditions. do they still have their wings? Is base commander cool with the results? important and even critical questions indeed!

My assumption was that it was “0” wind. As for the rest? Well…

IIRC the best speed for glide distance in an empty Flanker was around 400 km/hr. So I was wondering what he found. I don’t think I ever bothered to check speed for glide time.

• Like 1

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

On 2/12/2024 at 2:41 PM, Ironhand said:

Out of curiosity, what airspeed and/or sink rate did you use to achieve that 10:1 glide ratio?

I usually never go below 400kph. I am not sure why, I guess 'cause the spedometer starts having finer scale there, so I imagine that might be the lowest drag speed.

Airbus A320 has it's best glide speed around 210knots which is more or less within this speed range. I could be totally wrong here, also.

i5-4690K CPU 3.50Ghz @ 4.10GHz; 32GB DDR3 1600MHz; GeForce GTX 1660 Super; LG IPS225@1920x1080; Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB; Windows 10 Pro

On 2/12/2024 at 4:39 PM, Ironhand said:

My assumption was that it was “0” wind. As for the rest? Well…

IIRC the best speed for glide distance in an empty Flanker was around 400 km/hr. So I was wondering what he found. I don’t think I ever bothered to check speed for glide time.

Yes, it's for more-less calm winds. This is by no means a goto procedure to follow in case of both engines goin out, but rather a quick rule of thumb.

My procedure is:

- engines are out

- jettison all stores

- check height and distance

If within the simple rule, chances are high for successful landing.

Sometimes I run out of fuel when flying in MP 😄

Edited by Pavlin_33

2 hours ago, Pavlin_33 said:

I usually never go below 400kph. I am not sure why, I guess 'cause the spedometer starts having finer scale there, so I imagine that might be the lowest drag speed.

Airbus A320 has it's best glide speed around 210knots which is more or less within this speed range. I could be totally wrong here, also.

Since asking the question, I made a few experiments of my own. I assume my engines are out due to having run out of fuel. That seems more likely than losing both due to battle damage since, when that’s the case I’m usually missing a wing or two as well.

At any rate, assuming empty tanks and nothing hanging off my wings, best glide speed for distance seems to be right around 400 km/hr. 300 km/hr, on the other hand gives significantly more glide time, if you’re searching for somewhere nearby (field, road, etc) to touch down.

• Like 1

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

18 hours ago, Ironhand said:

Since asking the question, I made a few experiments of my own. I assume my engines are out due to having run out of fuel. That seems more likely than losing both due to battle damage since, when that’s the case I’m usually missing a wing or two as well.

At any rate, assuming empty tanks and nothing hanging off my wings, best glide speed for distance seems to be right around 400 km/hr. 300 km/hr, on the other hand gives significantly more glide time, if you’re searching for somewhere nearby (field, road, etc) to touch down.

I sometimes have very low fuel, so I check if I can glide it in on idle power - most use cases for me.

1 hour ago, Pavlin_33 said:

I sometimes have very low fuel, so I check if I can glide it in on idle power - most use cases for me.

So does your original post reflect a powered glide (idle engines) or a non-powered glide? Just curious.

_____

1 hour ago, Ironhand said:

So does your original post reflect a powered glide (idle engines) or a non-powered glide? Just curious.

Both - it works in no-fuel state as well as idle.

• 2 weeks later...

I would try with dry hump static thrust (donning on my techno garbage cape here) and report my findings! Get to work, potential base commander!

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

• 2 months later...

Best glide speed is actually an angle of attack. https://www.av8n.com/how/htm/aoa.html

Many of the airplane’s critical performance numbers are really angle of attack numbers:

• The stall occurs at a particular angle of attack.
  • The smallest power-off descent rate occurs at a particular angle of attack.
  • The best power-off glide ratio occurs at a particular angle of attack.
  • The recommended “approach speed” is really an angle of attack recommendation.
  • The best rate of climb occurs at a particular angle of attack.
  • The best angle of climb occurs at a particular angle of attack.

The problem is often finding information about those AoA's for the different airplanes because aviation pilots are obsessed with IAS and rule of thumb mental calculations.

• Like 1

If all else fails, you can always resort to armchair test-pilot stuff. It shouldn't be too difficult to get a ballpark figure for the best glide speed for a given configuration by careful observation of airspeed to rate of sink ratios, and a little maths. And if you have AoA information available, use that instead of airspeed.

• Like 1