What is the center dot on the hmss?

Thorluis2

1 hour ago, TheFreshPrince said:

Could it be one of the IR-LEDs used for the position tracking of the helmet? I mean it's classified, so we'll never know for sure. 

I don't think it is, since it would be blocked by the visor

2 hours ago, TheFreshPrince said:

Could it be one of the IR-LEDs used for the position tracking of the helmet? I mean it's classified, so we'll never know for sure. 

the IR Leds are on the back of the helmet

Up close and personal with the badass Typhoon's Helmet Mounted Symbology System - The Aviationist

Am 18.2.2024 um 06:20 schrieb Thorluis2:

What is the purpose of the center dot on the hmss? Is it a daylight sensor? It is blocked by the visitors so I believe it is.null

image.png

Looks to me like the projector lens... You can see it clearer in the picture below just where the hud reflects in the visor. But I'm not an expert, so it could be something completely different.. 

striker-ii-fighter-pilot-helmet.jpg?w=73

43 minutes ago, This said:

Looks to me like the projector lens... You can see it clearer in the picture below just where the hud reflects in the visor. But I'm not an expert, so it could be something completely different.. 

That is the stryker 2 hmd. That is the nvg upgrade. The stryker 1 and 2 are completely different helmet.

https://www.baesystems.com/en/product/typhoon-helmet

https://www.baesystems.com/en/multimedia/striker-ii-display

I'm with you.
And again: Not an expert.

However I didn't mean the integrated night vision lens (which sits above the visor), but (what I think might be) the smaller projector lnullens beneath it (see the red circle). I think they are placed the same in both design variants.

image.jpeg

Edited by This

1 hour ago, This said:

I'm with you.
And again: Not an expert.

However I didn't mean the integrated night vision lens (which sits above the visor), but (what I think might be) the smaller projector lnullens beneath it (see the red circle). I think they are placed the same in both design variants.

image.jpeg

Thats the reflection from the hud

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/19/2024 at 10:13 PM, This said:

Two different helmets, the initial helmet is the Eurofighter Helmet Mounted Symbology System (HMSS) and the picture above is the BAE 'Striker II' helmet, which is a generation ahead of the old HMSS.  The 'dot' on Striker II is a digital night vison camera, old school HMSS doesn't have this, so currently RAF Typhoon drivers have three helmets..day, NVG and HMSS.

The dot on the HMSS may be a fixing point for the projection system, I forget now.

Edit, it's the sensor.

Edited by Harry.R

On 3/20/2024 at 4:03 AM, Thorluis2 said:

Or we could use the original stryker nve system

Will the Eurofighter get the NVE (Night Vision Equipment) for the HMSS? -  DCS: Eurofighter - ED Forums

Which didn't work properly, hence cancelled from the design before it was put into production. Striker II will hopefully resolve that issue a quarter century later.

• Like 1