RealSimulator F-16 grips on VIRPIL bases

ZeeMan90

Hello ladies and gentlemen,

Since I mainly fly the Warthog and the Viper I would like to upgrade from the TM stick. Therefore I am curious whether the RealSimulator F-16 grip or any of its versions is compatible with either the VIRPIL CM2/CM3 and WarBRD/-D bases. I want to upgrade from the TM stick. 

I am looking forward to your answers. 

Regards

Fractal Design Meshify 2 XL | ASUS ROG Strix Z690-E Gaming WiFi | Intel i7-13700K | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Elite | 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-600 | MSI RTX 3080 12GB | Seasonic TX-850 | 2x Samsung EVO 970 Plus 2TB M.2 nvme | 2x Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 nvme | 2x Samsung EVO 860 1TB | Samsung EVO 870 4 TB | Acer XB241H | Win 11 Pro x64 | Røde NT-USB | Beyerdynamic DT-880 Edition 250Ω | Logitech G502 Proteus RGB | Corsair K70 | Corsair MM300 PRO | TM Warthog Throttle | VIRPIL WarBRD w/ Warthog grip | VIRPIL VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base w/ VIRPIL MongoosT-50CM2 grip | VIRPIL MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Mk. IV Ultimate | SLAW Device Viper RX v2 | Winwing VIPER MIP | Track IR 5 & TrackClipPRO 

Hi, What you can do is use both Realsimulator grips and TM grips on the Realsimulator bases.

Mounting a 390€ grip (only the grip) on a TM base it wouldn't make much sense to me and you wouldn't get a "noticeable" upgrade compared to what you have.

Meanwhile mounted in a Realsimulator base (FSSB R3L or FSSB R3L ULTRA), you will definitely get an upgrade thanks to the fact that these bases are force sensor based, like in the real F-16, and come with a software that add a lot of features.

Look here: https://realsimulator.com/fssb-r3-ultra/

Much more precise !

I don't know about Virpil, but as I said you can mount TM grips in Realsimulator bases.

The only cavet is that since the TM are heavier and are attached to the base differently than the Realsimulator, it is suggested to use some sort of collars otherwise they will break (the grip) quite easily.

You might print one of this:

https://www.printables.com/it/model/589579-thrustmaster-grip-support-for-fssb-base

Hope it help.

Cheers

• Like 1

I´m running a Realsimulator F-18 CGRH grip on a Virpil T50CM2 base. They are technically compatible to each other (means, the base recognises the grip), but the Virpil base does not recognise all of the numerous buttons of the Realsimulator grip due to firmware limitations of the Virpil base. And the buttons beeing recognised, are all over the place. Same for the TM base, wich does even recognise way less (23 in total) buttons than the Virpil bases (AFAIK something between 30 and 40). If you want to run a Realsimulator grip on a TM / Virpil base and have access to all the buttons, you need to get one with a installed BT module and use the base only for axis control and power supply for the grip, but use a bluetooth connection to operate the buttons. Sounds like a PITA, but works actually surprisingly good and i never had a single disconnect. Just make sure you pick a quality BT dongle as not all of them are capable of providing a stable connection. I use the ASUS BT400 dongle wich works perfectly with the grip, but there is a list of reliable BT dongles for the RS grips somewhere on the Realsimulator Forum.

Just keep in mind, that all of the F-18 grips but only the more expensive versions of the F-16 grips have a BT module installed. The standard F-16 grip does not have one.

• Like 1

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus + F-15EX / 4x TM Cougar MFD / Slaw Device RX Viper V3 / HP Reverb G2

• 2 weeks later...

@VpR81 How do you deal with the missing paddle switch on the Realsimulator F18 CGRH?

I was contemplating getting the same stick (in the brief time window when it was available), but the lack of a paddle switch gave me second thoughts. They now offer the F/A-18 Stick Adapter which has a paddle switch, but that would be yet another 280+€ investment

PC: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x | 64 GB RAM | Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti  | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset || Bases: Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base | Virpil VPC WarBRD-D Base | Winwing Orion2 Throttle Base || Grips: Thrustmaster F/A-18C Hornet | Virpil VPC V.F.X | Virpil VPC Constellation ALPHA Prime [R] | Winwing 18 Metal Throttle | Winwing 15EXII Metal Throttle || Pedals: MFG Crosswind V3

5 hours ago, Airtrainpat said:

How do you deal with the missing paddle switch on the Realsimulator F18 CGRH?

The NWS button is a 5 way (like all buttons on the F-18 CGRH grip) switch. I just use one of it´s position for the paddle switch.

• Like 1

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus + F-15EX / 4x TM Cougar MFD / Slaw Device RX Viper V3 / HP Reverb G2