Game suddenly unplayable in VR after upgrading GPU

Hello all,

Last night, I suddenly encountered an issue with DCS that rendered the game completely unplayable in VR. At the time, I assumed it was an isolated incident, so I just shut down and went to bed. But it turns out the issue still remained today. 

So, a little background info: I've been running this computer since 2018 (in norwegian, but the specs should be understandable enough): https://www.multicom.no/multicom-noox-i629c-gaming-pc/cat-p/c/p10639133

I've been playing DCS with an HTC Vive Pro for years without issues. Then, in the last month, I've made the following upgrades:

- First I got an HTC Vive Pro 2 to replace the Vive Pro. This worked fine. 

- Then I added 16 GB of RAM

- And finally, on last thursday, I replaced the 1080 GPU with a new RTX 4070 super

So, I played DCS in SteamVR thursday night and friday night, without any problems (although SteamVR did crash on some occasions, which was solved with restarts). Saturday night worked as well, initially without any problems. But after several hours of gaming, the game suddenly started lagging to the extreme. I'm talking MUCH less than 1 FPS, the frame typically took several seconds to update, and eventually just froze up completely, and the image in my HMD just started "jumping around" randomly, as if I was moving my head erratically, although my head was perfectly still. Eventually, the game crashed, and SteamVR informed me of an "unexpected error". 

At the time, I thought nothing of it, and just went to bed, but when I tried to run a new session tonight, I was having massive issues just getting in to Steam VR Home. It either never launced, or launched with an EXTREME lag, and eventually just froze up. So I reinstalled SteamVR, managed to start DCS again as normal, and assumed everything was solved. But, 2 minutes into my next mission in DCS, the same thing happened again: Extreme lagging, and eventually everything froze up. 

So, I decided to try to uninstall EVERYTHING - Steam, SteamVR, every HTC Vive software, etc, and am currently in the process of reinstalling. While waiting for that, I'm googling the issue, and I'm finding several threads from about a year back from users with new RTX 40-series cards reporting similar issues, and the problem only being resolved when reinstalling their old GPU. 

Still waiting to see whether the reinstall will solve this, but I am not optimistic in light of the google findings. But I assume there's plenty of others RTX 4000 VR-users out there, any ideas what could be causing this and what the solution could be?

Edit: Trying to test HTC Vive software while reinstalling results in the following error message:

SteamVR could not be initialized for unknown reasons. (Error: Not initialized (109) (109))

I am, however, able to enter SteamVR Home as usual, which seems normal, Whether it will last or not remains to be seen when DCS is reinstalled again. Again: Not optimistic.

SteamVR Version 2.4.3

Edited by Andrimner

Clean Nvidia driver install? Is the GPU getting enough power? Are temps on the GPU good? Are you able to run a stress test on it for a satisfactory of time?

Make sure the graphics card is set completely into the PCI slot as well.

Edited by unlikely_spider

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

1 minute ago, unlikely_spider said:

Clean Nvidia driver install? Is the GPU getting enough power? Are temps on the GPU good? Are you able to run a stress test on it for a satisfactory of time?

Make sure the graphics card is set completely into the PCI slot as well.

Thanks for the reply. 

- I got the drivers from Nvidias site on thursday. Never touched anything since that

- Not sure how to measure power demands in use, but the product says it need a 600 w supply, and I have a 700 w

- Temps: Not sure how to measure them, but as the problem now shows up on startup, I'm fairly sure this isn't the issue. I've played hours without issue before, now it shows up immediately

- Not sure how to run a stress test...

29 minutes ago, unlikely_spider said:

Download Furmark. Run at high settings so that your GPU is near 100%. It will tell you the utilization and the temperatures.

Ok, I did this as the reinstalled finished. Then tried to launch DCS again with Furmark in the background. Same thing happened: Everything ran smoothly for about 1 minute, then severe lagging, and finally everything froze up. Furmark registered temps at above 90 degrees C and usage above 90 % when it froze (tried to screenshot, but had to hard reboot my computer due to the crash). 

So then I just ran Furmark and hit Benchmark P1440, and that gave me this: 

null

image.png

21 minutes ago, Glide said:

This error may be related to your onboard graphics card.  Is it disabled in the bios?

https://steamcommunity.com/app/250820/discussions/0/357284131806024168

Thanks for the reply. I'm not quite sure, I assume this is something I need to check by entering BIOS menu on startup? Couldn't find a clear description in the thread you linked to

I think that 95 degrees is pretty hot.

Especially after 60 seconds as your screenshot shows above.

Are the fans running at high RPM? Is there enough airflow? I'd make sure it's not running in silent mode or the like, if you can't tell that the fans ramp up. At that temperature they really should be making a racket.

Edit - I can't definitively confirm but I think 95 is where thermal throttling would start. In my opinion that's the issue here.

Edited by unlikely_spider

95° is well within range of thermal throttling. Your card might be lowering frequencies to avoid damage, and thus performance is awful.

Download GPU-Z, go into the 'sensors' tab and watch what happens when you run the benchmark again.

11111.png

Posted (edited)

Ok, that makes sense, thank you. I can't say I'm noticing any noise at all, but I'll test again when I get off work tonight, and run GPU-Z as well.

I'll check to see if it's running in silent mode (assume I do that in the Nvidia control panel?), any idea as to what could be causing it if that isn't it? The strange thing is that it started mid-game after a session of 1,5 - 2 hours  on saturday (and that's after running at least 4 hours without issue on friday night), now it starts as soon as I start up the game.

Edited by Andrimner

Hehe, ok, a bit embarrasing, but this might be solved. To find out whether the fans were running, I opened the cabinet, and sure enough, a piece of plastic foil was wrappen in both fans, which prevented them from running. Temperatures of 51 degrees when running DCS now (at least for the couple of minutes I tested), so I'm fairly sure this is solved.

Thank you all for replying to this thread!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Andrimner said:

Hehe, ok, a bit embarrasing, but this might be solved. To find out whether the fans were running, I opened the cabinet, and sure enough, a piece of plastic foil was wrappen in both fans, which prevented them from running. Temperatures of 51 degrees when running DCS now (at least for the couple of minutes I tested), so I'm fairly sure this is solved.

Oh, good to hear, and glad that it's sorted.

And any experienced PC builder will have plenty of embarrassing stories (I have a few for sure) so it's nothing to be self conscious about!

Happy flying.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Andrimner said:

Foiled again!! 

• Like 2

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

On 3/18/2024 at 3:21 PM, Andrimner said:

I opened the cabinet, and sure enough, a piece of plastic foil was wrappen in both fans, which prevented them from running.

Computer parts should have big red flags on stuff like that which say REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT! 😆

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5