Target sharing / Utilising queries

Go to solution Solved by Raptor9,

Hi, so have been practicing this and sharing firezones etc as a 2 ship with my buddy and we have run into some issues that we are unsure are as it should be / bug / User error. I shall describe:

1) I am popped up and have done target area scan, allocated and shared via datalink PFZ's and sent initial batch of targets to my wingman who is hiding in cover. He receives the targets no problem and they display on his TSD. However he is unable to launch on any of them. The only way he can launch is by me selecting an individual target and sending via RFHO. This seems wrong to me, as I thought the whole idea of having FCR equipped aircraft in a squad was so they could do exactly this? The targets I sent only appeared on his TSD, not his FCR. 

2) Secondly, is there any way to share targets or target information apart from using the FCR? We laboriously sent co ordinates and made target points but this seemed a bit un modern....

Edited by markturner1960

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

1) Sending them one at a time with RFHO seems to be the only way we have found, as well.  I was also expecting to be able to send a whole set of targets, but maybe that is still coming?  Maybe part of the LINK functionality? (I have heard the LINK function as having to do with linking the TADS to the FCR, so I'm not sure.)

2) Using DataLink, you can send over all of your targets points (and other points) at once, replacing the points the receiving aircraft has in their database.  Wags shows how to do this in his video series, if you haven't messed with it yet.  You can also select a single Txx point on your TSD and use XMIT to send it to a specific wingman.  They cannot fire on this target directly, but can now use it as a DIR TO point, or as a ACQ source.  Only RFHO sends enough info to your wingman for him to launch an RF missile while staying behind cover.

One more note: After you perform your FCR scan and have a bunch of returns, you can use the TGT function on the FCR page to store all of the returns into your database at once, then use the DL functions to send all your targets to your wingman at once.

Edit: After re-reading your initial post, it sounds like you are already sharing targets that way in your first part, so I'm not sure what you are asking in your second part.

Edited by Floyd1212
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, markturner1960 said:

Hi, so have been practicing this and sharing firezones etc as a 2 ship with my buddy and we have run into some issues that we are unsure are as it should be / bug / User error. I shall describe:

1) I am popped up and have done target area scan, allocated and shared via datalink PFZ's and sent initial batch of targets to my wingman who is hiding in cover. He receives the targets no problem and they display on his TSD. However he is unable to launch on any of them. The only way he can launch is by me selecting an individual target and sending via RFHO. This seems wrong to me, as I thought the whole idea of having FCR equipped aircraft in a squad was so they could do exactly this? The targets I sent only appeared on his TSD, not his FCR. 

2) Secondly, is there any way to share targets or target information apart from using the FCR? We laboriously sent co ordinates and made target points but this seemed a bit un modern....

After he receives your targets, he should be able to sight select the FCR after receiving the targets. This should enable him to engage with AGM-114L if available or set his ACQ source to FCR for slaving.

You can send individual points via the TSD's POINT submenu with the XMIT function.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

OK, thanks, will try these tomorrow.

Might be nice if someone from ED can comment on how it is supposed to work ( As per Floyds first point) and whats coming in the pipeline. 

To me it does seem strange that you cant exchange a whole set of actionable targets, if you can send one, then whats stopping it working the same way for 2 or 3 or 4? 

@NeedzWD40 the problem is that the sent targets do not appear on the recipients FCR...so sight selecting it is no use, as it has no targets on it to action. Likewise with setting ACQ source to FCR.....

@Floyd1212 I just meant is RFHO the only way to send actionable targets, which you have answered, so thanks! 

Edited by markturner1960

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

• ED Team
  • Solution

As shown in the corresponding Wags video, sending an FCR Target Report does not permit direct engagement; it is simply a target report, similar to sending TSD target points. This allows other AH-64D's to gain situational awareness of targets in the area or their PFZ before unmasking. But you can CAQ on the TSD to make any of the FCR targets from the report your ACQ source.

The FCR TGT Report does not transfer the entire FCR data, which includes an FCR-driven priority "shoot list", it just sends targets. Therefore there are no NTS or ANTS designations, stale timers, shoot list order, etc. Only RFHO may be used to handover a target directly to another aircraft's RF missile for engagement.

Yes, it is often said that the AH-64D can transmit multiple targets to wingmen for rapid engagement, and that is true, but that doesn't mean it is only performed with one button push or that the non-FCR wingman can engage simply by repetitively pulling the trigger like the FCR-equipped aircraft. But that also doesn't mean the wingmen can't engage targets rapidly using RFHOs. Watch the video I linked above. You can send multiple RFHOs back to back, which can be engaged just as rapidly and is demonstrated in the video. I also recommend reviewing the latest AH-64D EA Guide on the DCS website, which describes all of this in detail.

Each time an RFHO is transmitted, the NTS advances to the next target on the FCR shoot list just like if you fired an RF missile yourself (you don't need to cursor select each one like in the video, unless you want to send RFHOs in a different order than the shoot list). An RFHO is essentially firing a missile from a wingman's aircraft, which is why either method advances the NTS through the shoot list.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

Fantastic explanation, thank you!

OK, have a quick follow on query….when sending and receiving, we are getting 2 of every target listed……. How can we stop this?