GPU requirement for 4K

I need a new GPU to run DCS in 4K resolution with good graphics settings. I would strongly prefer one from AMD. It also has to be very silent and/or have water blocks available. And for DCS specifically, I'd prefer if the game was actually rendered in 4K, not just upscaled. Guess this would improve visibility of small/distant things.

I'm aiming for an RX 7800 XT or RX 7900 XT, does that sound reasonable? Any particular reason why everybody seems to be using GeForces?

4 minutes ago, ventrue said:

I'm aiming for an RX 7800 XT or RX 7900 XT, does that sound reasonable? Any particular reason why everybody seems to be using GeForces?

Both should be plenty good for 4K. But I can only personally testify for Geforce. I played in 4K since my old trusty 1080ti.

Geforce has the crown when it comes to raw power, not accounting for the price. And AMD was a little bit rough around the edges back in the days…. (software, driver and so on).

But for DCS there isn’t any downside to using AMD as far as I‘m aware.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

45 minutes ago, Hiob said:

I played in 4K since my old trusty 1080ti.

Wow, it is cool....

Dell XPS 9730, i9-13900H, DDR5 64GB, Discrete GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080, 1+2TB M.2 SSD, TM HOTAS Warthog/TPR, TKIR5/TrackClipPro, Win 11 Pro

I’ve been using 4K since 2016 and a pair of SLI Titans 😁

15 hours ago, ventrue said:

Guess this would improve visibility of small/distant things.

That’s certainly true. You can make out small aircraft details and markings. Your ability to ID things goes way up. Also the game, well every game, just looks gorgeous. Unfortunately depending on the Spotting Dots setting, lower res screens will put big black dots over distant aircraft and make them visible at 20-30 miles. Not a big deal if you’re playing SP and want to turn it off but be aware that other players online don’t need radar to see you. Personally I’d rather play a realistic and gorgeous looking game than have a cheat. 

Edited by SharpeXB
  • Like 1

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

20 hours ago, Hiob said:

Both should be plenty good for 4K. But I can only personally testify for Geforce. I played in 4K since my old trusty 1080ti.

Good to know that a 1080 Ti can do 4K! I always find it difficult to judge the power of GPUs in relation to one another, because I skip so many generations before upgrading and benchmarks only ever seem to give comparable results over short timespans. I've still got an RX 580 (yes, three digits!). It can actually produce a surprising 10 fps in 4K with high settings.

4 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

That’s certainly true. You can make out small aircraft details and markings. Your ability to ID things goes way up. Also the game, well every game, just looks gorgeous. Unfortunately depending on the Spotting Dots setting, lower res screens will put big black dots over distant aircraft and make them visible at 20-30 miles. Not a big deal if you’re playing SP and want to turn it off but be aware that other players online don’t need radar to see you. Personally I’d rather play a realistic and gorgeous looking game than have a cheat. 

PVP isn't my thing anyways, but I do like air to ground stuff and I've always felt that ground units become smaller than a pixel way earlier than I'd like. That's where I'm hoping for some improvement. Or at the very least I'll be able to read cockpit labels without zooming in 😉

19 minutes ago, ventrue said:

Good to know that a 1080 Ti can do 4K! I always find it difficult to judge the power of GPUs in relation to one another, because I skip so many generations before upgrading and benchmarks only ever seem to give comparable results over short timespans. I've still got an RX 580 (yes, three digits!). It can actually produce a surprising 10 fps in 4K with high settings.

The 1080ti was a beast. One of the best GPUs ever.

When I started with DCS, I had a 1080ti, 4790K, 16GB Ram and a 27" screen. I played in 1080p then. But I always found everything in the cockpit to small - I couldn't read the instruments.

Just for fun, I connected my 49" inch sony TV to the PC to try DCS on a bigger screen. It just happened to be 4K (only 60Hz though). From then on, I was hooked.

Of course I didn't play in the highest gfx settings (more like medium) and "only" got 40-45 fps on average. But I wasn't so spoiled back then (and of course DCS was less demanding. That was before Syria came out).

• Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

I can chime in on this.

I too started with 1080ti on 4k ;). Then a 6800. Then a 6900 (= very similar to 7800xt) and now a 7900xt.

In marianas freeflight f16 instant action scenario with everything turned to high the 6900xt can keep about 61-90fps depending on which area of the map u are. The first bit over the crowded airport is the worst bit. So the 7800xt will be able to do it, since its a little better then 6900xt. Syria is always above 70 fps. When FSR is turned to quality/0.9 u will see 100fps+

If the price is right I would go for 7900XT. U can turn everything up and not worry, this gpu is a powerhouse. Never below 80 on Marianas.

There is no reason to not go with AMD atm unless u are a VR player. Then go with Nvidia. But im not sure on how VR goes nowadays in AMD.  

37 minutes ago, junneh said:

I can chime in on this.

Thanks for the perspectives!

I have indeed found a good offer for an RX 7900 XT and I'm getting that. Hope it fits through the door, seeing how large it is 😉

12 minutes ago, ventrue said:

Thanks for the perspectives!

I have indeed found a good offer for an RX 7900 XT and I'm getting that. Hope it fits through the door, seeing how large it is 😉

I hope you checked in advance that it will fit your case..... 😅

Edited by Hiob
typos, ffs what is wrong today.......
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Hiob said:

I hope you checked in advance that it will fit your case..... 😅

I did and it doesn't, so I'm replacing that as well 😉

This is the big downside of almost never buying new hardware... once you do, you have to replace every single item. I bet the next time I buy a mainboard, ATX will be dead, too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ventrue said:

I did and it doesn't, so I'm replacing that as well 😉

This is the big downside of almost never buying new hardware... once you do, you have to replace every single item. I bet the next time I buy a mainboard, ATX will be dead, too.

Well, at least you’re not producing so much e-waste and your investments are actually worth their money. Certainly not the worst approach.