hornet engine damage model

Go to solution Solved by BIGNEWY,

When I am attacked while performing a mission with an F-18, there is always an engine fire. Even if you are hit with AAA, there is no problem with the engine. Is there no damage model for the engine?

• Like 1

• ED Team

Hi, 

the engines can be damaged, do you have a track replay example we can check out? 

thank you 

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

do you have a track replay example we can check out? 

Sure. Could it be that the engine doesn't break down because the firing position is wrong?
(But that doesn't mean the engine will break down in a normal situation.)
  There is some noise in the video.

Edited by dudqocn

• ED Team
11 minutes ago, dudqocn said:
Sure. Could it be that the engine doesn't break down because the firing position is wrong?
(But that doesn't mean the engine will break down in a normal situation.)
  There is some noise in the video.

Hi, 

when you make the test, after the mission ends during the debrief screen can you save the track replay and attach it here.

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

17 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

Hi, 

when you make the test, after the mission ends during the debrief screen can you save the track replay and attach it here.

From my point of view, there was nothing wrong with the engine.

f-18 engine.trk

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, dudqocn said:

From my point of view, there was nothing wrong with the engine.

f-18 engine.trk 78.91 kB · 3 downloads

Engine damage model has not been implemented for hostile fire. The engines can only die due to fuel starvation or the complete destruction of the jet (and some special cases). I was told that this is a W.I.P item in my wishlist post on this topic.

Edited by Rissala

• ED Team
  • Solution

I will check on the status of the damage model

thanks

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2024 at 11:25 AM, dudqocn said:

When I am attacked while performing a mission with an F-18, there is always an engine fire. Even if you are hit with AAA, there is no problem with the engine. Is there no damage model for the engine?

Finally more people are noticing the poor damage modeling in dcs

19 minutes ago, f15e said:

Finally more people are noticing the poor damage modeling in dcs

In DCS there are modules with much better damage models than the Hornet (FC3, A-10, F-14, Viggen etc.). It is only the Hornet (and to an extent the F16) which have very bad physical damage models (stabs are made of cardboard, both wings snap off with all missile hits etc.)

The Hornet does not even have engine damage modelled at all. It isnt even on/off modelling, there literally isnt a damage model there. When the engines flame out in the Hornet, the only possibility is the failure of both feed tanks and thus fuel exhaustion (and a few checks to prevent bugs).

This subject just needs dev time, no way around it.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Rissala said:

In DCS there are modules with much better damage models than the Hornet (FC3, A-10, F-14, Viggen etc.). It is only the Hornet (and to an extent the F16) which have very bad physical damage models (stabs are made of cardboard, both wings snap off with all missile hits etc.)

The Hornet does not even have engine damage modelled at all. It isnt even on/off modelling, there literally isnt a damage model there. When the engines flame out in the Hornet, the only possibility is the failure of both feed tanks and thus fuel exhaustion (and a few checks to prevent bugs).

This subject just needs dev time, no way around it.

Absolutely agree, a plane for 80$ should have way more in depth modeling of damage and systems. Especially since it's been around half a decade since release. 

On 3/21/2024 at 1:35 PM, BIGNEWY said:

I will check on the status of the damage model

thanks

@BIGNEWYAny progress on the DM? 

On 4/4/2024 at 9:39 PM, f15e said:

Absolutely agree, a plane for 80$ should have way more in depth modeling of damage and systems. Especially since it's been around half a decade since release. 

I think so too. If the current quality continues, I think the price of this model should be cheaper.

image.png

• ED Team
6 minutes ago, dudqocn said:

I think so too. If the current quality continues, I think the price of this model should be cheaper.

image.png

Sorry you feel that way, but no. The work and level of detail on this module is huge and the investment of time and resources justify the price. 

Please do not derail this thread with price chatter. 

On 4/4/2024 at 1:39 PM, f15e said:

Damage model work is something the team will review in the future, for now we are focussing on the few final items for the F/A-18C 

thank you 

• Like 1

+1 for not derailing the discussion about the already awesome model. it's a joy to use

Also +1 for a more detailed damage model. Once in a blue moon, my a/c gets damaged in an exciting and unusual way that makes it still flyable. It's an amazing challenge getting it safely to ground. I'd love to have many more different opportunities like that with a more detailed damage model. 

Edited by markom
  • Like 1

On 4/4/2024 at 8:39 AM, f15e said:

Do note that there's a rather long list of failures you can activate. The systems fidelity is definitely there under the hood. It's just that the damage modeling from weapons specifically is limited

Some of the Hornet failures for example:

image.png?ex=662cad91&is=661a3891&hm=8d5

4 hours ago, Vee.A said:

Do note that there's a rather long list of failures you can activate. The systems fidelity is definitely there under the hood. It's just that the damage modeling from weapons specifically is limited

Some of the Hornet failures for example:

System damage modelling is surprisingly good (with a few inaccuracies to the real thing). The subject of this topic is the enignes, which cannot be damaged at all due to a missing damage model. They just need to implement it, hopefully to a standard comparable to FC3.

Also I hope we might some day get a physical damage model that does not turn the Hornet in to a flying candle when hit with even small warheads at proximity fuze distances...