STT lock with JHMCS boresight elipse locks air behind the bandit, lock lags and drifts behind, until lock is lost - no notch, no jam, no radar gimbal

If you lock a bandit with STT through the JHMCS helmet, in a ratio of about every 3rd lock will be lost showing this behavior. The bandit is not jamming.

I was trying to find similarities in the situations where it happens. Thats why I played it back with the radar MFD showing. Also I thought maybe it only happens when the bandit or another aircraft was locked before through STT. But that was not the case either. It can happen with the first lock attempt too.

It happens with the clear sky behind so its no ground clutter involved. Also even if it should not be possible to notch a radar against the clear sky, that can not be the case here. There is always a good closure rate when watching the numbers on radar MFD.

Note that the radar is not on its gimbal limits either.

If you want, try it by yourself. Take one of the track files and take control. It should not take more than 3 or 4 attempts.

To summarize: No notch, not jamming, no radar gimbal limits involved. What else can it be?

Maybe someone with a fresh eye can watch the video and look for hints what may cause it, by taking a closer look at the radar screen. Hope that its helpful with the radar MFD showing although the cockpit view and the JHMCS is not very sharp that way.

I included all the track files shown in the video

lock air behind the bandit4.trk lock air behind the bandit0.trk lock air behind the bandit1.trk lock air behind the bandit2.trk

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Its a bug on all modern ED Aircraft. It started just over a year ago. You will find many reports and many fixes, but the bug is still there. Its the same with the hornet. Unfortunately it has gotten worse, lately when 2/3 times it locks more or less correctly the firing solution jumps once you get closer to the bandit.

The firing solution has 2 maybe 3 jerk steps within compute as you get closer. The solution is to pray and spray, start about an aircraft length ahead of the bandit and let them pass through your firing line. Unfortunately snapshots are unreliable and often are a waste of time, unless you are a god and can compute without a lock

As far as I know the bug only exists in the F16 and the F18 as they seem to share some common code with each other. I dont know of other jets from ED that have that issue.

It is very annoying that I once purchased an F16 with working STT lock funcionality. Then it was broken, after that it was fixed only to break again after a few updates to stay broken until now. I cant even remember how long that bug is around now and annoying people. Especially in the F16 where the level 5 pipper has a delay until it shows up. I cant count any more how often I could not take a shot with a working pipper while I was just fighting the radar to lock the bandit instead of fighting the bandit.

Together with the jumpy pipper that has not been adressed either gun fights in the F16 are like playing poker against the STT radar.

12 hours ago, darkman222 said:

As far as I know the bug only exists in the F16 and the F18 as they seem to share some common code with each other. I dont know of other jets from ED that have that issue.

It is very annoying that I once purchased an F16 with working STT lock funcionality. Then it was broken, after that it was fixed only to break again after a few updates to stay broken until now. I cant even remember how long that bug is around now and annoying people. Especially in the F16 where the level 5 pipper has a delay until it shows up. I cant count any more how often I could not take a shot with a working pipper while I was just fighting the radar to lock the bandit instead of fighting the bandit.

Together with the jumpy pipper that has not been adressed either gun fights in the F16 are like playing poker against the STT radar.

Absolutely, I completely agree with you.

It's incredibly frustrating trying to engage something like a Mirage2000 on the DogFighters Server. The pipper often misaligns so much that pulling the trigger when it’s positioned right over the target feels futile since the firing solution is almost always off. I’ve stopped relying on locking altogether and have switched to manual deflection shooting because it’s simpler.

When it comes to one circle fights, the F-16 is even more of a challenge as you've noted. The delay in the pipper response makes the firing solution so unpredictable that it’s hard to know where your shots will end up, let alone if they’re on target. The most reliable method I’ve found for taking down an opponent is engaging in a 2 circle fight at low altitude, focusing on funneling and pulling straight through with a good pre and after fire (without waiting for the pipper to confirm)

Edited by nikoel
  • Like 3