WHITE-OUT AND BLACK-OUT IN 8KX - ONE WAY HOW TO SOLVE

WipeUout

I had this issue a few times and not sure what is causing it.  It only happens when the HMD is running at 90hz and seems to be a software issue.  Here is the problem:

Image would blackout very briefly every few seconds at different intervals and once in a while, the screen would go white very briefly as well.  The problem happens both using OpenXR or SteamVR in all my VR applications, but significantly more frequent in DCS.

I tried many different things, including re-installing Pimax client, OpenXR-toolbox, PimaxXR, NVIDIA driver, etc... and even changing the HMD cable with not effect.  Only solution working so far is:

Change HMD refresh rate to 60hz or 75hz, run DCS a few minutes and then exit, reset HMD refresh rate to 90hz, reboot and it should clear the issues.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i9-13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB, ADDLINK S72 2TB, TM WARTHOG COMBO + PENDULAR RUDDER PEDALS, PIMAX 8K X, Sony 5.1 Spks+SubW | DCS OB, A-10C_II, AH-64D, F-14/16/18, F-86F, AV-8B, M-2000C, SA342, Huey, Spitfire, FC3.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/12/2024 at 5:53 AM, Calvin.Pimax said:

Have you attempted to flash this on the 8KX?

P2_RELEASE_8KX_M299_20211011.dfu 160.46 kB · 0 downloads

I already have the 2.1.255.299 firware version.  I will flash anyway it with the file you posted and see if it changes anything.  Thanks for the support!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i9-13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB, ADDLINK S72 2TB, TM WARTHOG COMBO + PENDULAR RUDDER PEDALS, PIMAX 8K X, Sony 5.1 Spks+SubW | DCS OB, A-10C_II, AH-64D, F-14/16/18, F-86F, AV-8B, M-2000C, SA342, Huey, Spitfire, FC3.

No change with the provided firmware, still having the blackouts.  Now changing refresh rate and back to 90hz does not fix the issue anymore.   Any idea?

4 minutes ago, WipeUout said:

No change with the provided firmware, still having the blackouts.  Now changing refresh rate and back to 90hz does not fix the issue anymore.   Any idea?

My my case, it was due to the cable.

Blackout started out as tiny sceen flickering, it was annoying but still useable... then long blackout.

I was ready to put in landfill.

However, seeing that PImax has amazon store in Australia.

Amazon has 30days return. I had nothing to loose, so went ahead purchased fiber optic cable for $A199 (appx 150USD) .

8kx works better than before, the lighthouse tracking immediately.. I do not have to a spinning ritual like before with the copper cable.

23 hours ago, NAM said:

My my case, it was due to the cable.

I have an extra cable and it does not go away.  The issue is only with the 90hz refresh rate, everything fine using 75hz or 60hz, no blackout whasoever.

2 hours ago, WipeUout said:

I have an extra cable and it does not go away.  The issue is only with the 90hz refresh rate, everything fine using 75hz or 60hz, no blackout whasoever.

I see. I have no problem with 90hz.. although mine kept at 60hz.

Fortunately, for me.. there is little difference 60/72/90hz.

I think I found the solution.

Having the blackouts only at 90hz got me thinking it was somehow related to the increase demand to render at the refresh rate.  My GPU can pump the frames pretty good and after monitoring power drainage from the GPU, it was still well below max capacity.  Next was the HMD, could it be that it did not have enough juice?  I then installed a powered USB 3.0 hub and connected the HMD USB 3.0 cable to it and Eureka!  No more blackout!  Played for several hours and no issues at all 😁👍

I can't say if it is my mobo that is not supplying enough to the HMD through its USB ports or the HMD having some losses because of a bad cable or deteriorating component but the problem went away.

On 5/3/2024 at 11:45 AM, WipeUout said:

Played for several hours and no issues at all

A day later the issue was back 🤯  Can't pinpoint the cause, might be a cable issue as suggested.

Today it is working fine, plugged the two USB cables in my USB 3.2 Gen 2 sockets, might be a solution. 🙏

Man, this is killing me!!!  If it comes back, I will raise a support ticket.💩

I did test with an extra cable from my 5K Super to no different result.  I installed the debug version, created a log and Raised a ticket.  In less than 24hrs I received another firmware to flash.  So far so good, 90hz is working fine and blackout free.  Will test for a few more days...🤞

Posted (edited)

I've recently been experiencing this same issue on my 8kx.  I am running the latest drivers from Nvidia (I have a 4090) as well as pimax 

image.png

image.png

@Calvin.Pimax, should I also try flashing that debug version?  I am running at 120Hz

Edited by Mistermann

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, VKB STECS Standard, Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

22 hours ago, WipeUout said:

Will test for a few more days...🤞

After about 4-5 hours of sim, back to same problem with random blackouts. I will revert to 75hz and raise another ticket I guess.🤯

12 hours ago, Mistermann said:

I've recently been experiencing this same issue on my 8kx.  I am running the latest drivers from Nvidia (I have a 4090) as well as pimax 

image.png

image.png

@Calvin.Pimax, should I also try flashing that debug version?  I am running at 120Hz

Please do not flash this debug version, as the 8KX has different firmware compared to the 5K Super.

If you're interested in trying this version:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ztIa_cVJF-jyI4_Blql9gt_UM9yUtDfa/view?usp=sharing

On 5/8/2024 at 8:29 PM, WipeUout said:

After about 4-5 hours of sim, back to same problem with random blackouts. I will revert to 75hz and raise another ticket I guess.🤯

Finaly found the issue after noticing PCIe bus errors poping out.  After geting some help from HWiNFO64, found out that the GPU was causing the bus errors.  Truns out the card was ok but my riser cable was the issue.  After plugging the GPU directly in the PCIe slot, no error anymore and no blackout in the 8KX, riser cable was damage. 🤦‍♂️