Chrome Finish Skin

Tnt Snipes

I think you need special Bumpmapping effects to make a chrome effect. I think it is not possible with the current GFX-Engine, or?

I'm fairly certain we have no control of specularity or shaders in the skins, if you were to build a model from scratch perhaps you may be able to achieve this, but I doubt it.

Nate

That does not help in the creation of a skin. What you need for the chrome finish in DCS:BS is shader access and such stuff - and we don't. Skins are replacement textures and that's pretty much it.

So you can get a metallic finish, but you won't get the typical chrome glow and reflection.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

That does not help in the creation of a skin. What you need for the chrome finish in DCS:BS is shader access and such stuff - and we don't. Skins are replacement textures and that's pretty much it.

So you can get a metallic finish, but you won't get the typical chrome glow and reflection.

Exactly. You can simulate a chrome finish in photoshop using styles and filters, but it would not have dynamic reflections, etc. You would end up with an in game helo with a fixed reflection built into the texture that would look like crap.

Too bad as a Chrome KA-50 would def be cool to look at, not to mention blinding anyone trying to lock onto you :)

I dunno. I think it's pretty clearly stated already:

It is not possible to get a chrome finish effect.

It is possible to have a matte metallic finish.

But a matte metallic finish is not close to the effect that is desired, and would not look like the P-51 picture.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

I dunno. I think it's pretty clearly stated already:

It is not possible to get a chrome finish effect.

It is possible to have a matte metallic finish.

But a matte metallic finish is not close to the effect that is desired, and would not look like the P-51 picture.

What if you guys have to make a dcs of classic p51d, that one had a chrome metallic finish, what would you do then, probably you wont touch that canvas... anyways thanx for the feedback...

Edited by snipes

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]