Wish List- DCS updater linked to Multithread DCS

jww123

Posted (edited)

As it stands now, if you run DCS updater and there isn't an update the program loads the non multithread DCS. It would be nice if you had the option of specifying a dcs version to load if no update is found. Perhaps an Updater located in the MT Bin rather than just in the non MT Bin.

Edited by jww123

• jww123 changed the title to Wish List- DCS updater linked to Multithread DCS

I'm sorry but I'm not sure what you mean by linking the update. How do you specify the updater to open the MT version and not the non MT version

Sorry. My error. I use the Windows power shell to start the updater and I thought that starting the updater from the Desktop would work the same way. But it doesn’t. Unlike using the power shell, starting it from the desktop will also start the sim.

If you want to try the power shell approach, use file explorer to navigate to the “bin” folder in your DCS installation. Highlight it. Hold down the SHIFT key while right clicking on the folder. In the context menu that opens, select “Open PowerShell window here”.

In the window that opens, type: CMD

The cursor will drop to a new line. Type: DCS_updater update

Done. If there’s an update, it’ll update. If there isn’t, it’ll tell you that you’re up to date. In neither case, will the sim start.

• Like 1

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

No need to use powershell or cmd. Just make a shortcut to "\bin\dcs_updater update". There should even be one in the Start Menu app list from the default DCS installation.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

7 hours ago, draconus said:

No need to use powershell or cmd. Just make a shortcut to "\bin\dcs_updater update". There should even be one in the Start Menu app list from the default DCS installation.

There is no “dcs_updater update” in my bin folder. There is only dcs_updater.exe. And that will start the sim after checking for an update. That’s what I had tried first. The same is true in the start menu.

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

2 hours ago, Ironhand said:

There is no “dcs_updater update” in my bin folder. There is only dcs_updater.exe. And that will start the sim after checking for an update. That’s what I had tried first. The same is true in the start menu.

"update" is an argument, "dcs_updater.exe" is a file to run with that parameter - then it only updates DCS, never runs the game.

image.png

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

3 hours ago, draconus said:

"update" is an argument, "dcs_updater.exe" is a file to run with that parameter - then it only updates DCS, never runs the game.

image.png

Ahh. Thanks for the explanation.

_____

On 5/16/2024 at 7:34 AM, draconus said:

This. I just type 'Update DCS' in the start menu and the right app comes up.