George CPG tracking issues.

This has been a issue for a few patches but it's not game breaking. I would say this occurs 40% of the time, and have noticed it on both multiplayer and single player.

When he gives you the prompt that he's ready to fire but you can see in the video source he's point tracking something else or is just slightly off target. If he's not using point track after firing his aim point drifts off target, or he launches while slightly off target and makes adjustments to hit the target. Assuming he's able to use LMC.

I'll play some more tomorrow and get some track files. 

4 hours ago, Lord Vader said:

Hi, @Tom P

Please do share a track of this happening. 

Thanks.

Hello Dark Lord

All my track files are too big to share. But I have screenshots and recordings. He zooms in on a target and after firing he zooms out giving a pretty big margin for error while tracking. Sometimes he says "target acquired" when looking in the general direction or if the target is masked behind a object (ex a building). I'm going to get on later and try some mission editor stuff and see if I can get a track file from that. 

• ED Team

I see. George's target finding and tracking abilities are still being worked on. Regardless, it's totally normal that he sees a target but if it's moving or is obscured he'll have trouble keeping the lock. Furthermore, our own position can cause an offset due to the perspective, even parallax comes to play. If that happens and Georges loses sight, he'll try to reacquire. But, after a while if not successful, he'll say something "target lost" and you'll have to request it again.

In any case, if you're able to make a track of this issue you're reporting, please do share. 

dcsvader.png
Esquadra 701 - DCS Portugal - Discord

On 5/11/2024 at 3:01 AM, Tom P said:

or is just slightly off target.

I've noticed that he is off target with the gun, even when point tracked. It's regularly about 1-5m off target, especially when you're close to the target. Typically if it's far away enough the cannon spread is enough to hit the target even if he's off-aim, but close in you just see a pile of lead hitting off to the side/rear of the target.

Posted (edited)
On 5/13/2024 at 12:59 PM, Lord Vader said:

I see. George's target finding and tracking abilities are still being worked on. Regardless, it's totally normal that he sees a target but if it's moving or is obscured he'll have trouble keeping the lock. Furthermore, our own position can cause an offset due to the perspective, even parallax comes to play. If that happens and Georges loses sight, he'll try to reacquire. But, after a while if not successful, he'll say something "target lost" and you'll have to request it again.

In any case, if you're able to make a track of this issue you're reporting, please do share. 

Is there a way to make the files smaller? I was on for only 19min10sec getting data and it says it's to big. Most multiplayer server flights take 10-15 minutes of travel time. 

Edited by Tom P

You can use 7zip and split by size, then upload the multiple files.

Don't know if it's related, but here's a single player track with George using "the Force" to sense enemies behind buildings and then wasting K's one after another:

ag_cpg_syria.trk

With "weapons free" it's a tragedy! :happy:

I7-12700F, 64GB DDR4 3600 (XMP1), Asus Z670M, MSI RTX 3070, TIR 5, TM WH VPC base, Win10 Pro

Posted (edited)

From all the footage I have it seems he only uses IR with point track and not using the proper magnification. Maybe if there was a way to have him search with IR and if the targets are to far have him switch to the day time optics depending on range. 

2.9nm / 5.5km:
Digital Combat Simulator  Black Shark Screenshot 2024.05.15 - 09.51.58.45.png

Screenshot (1612).png

Thinks he has LOS on a BMP behind a outpost, point tracks the outpost thinking its the bmp?
Digital Combat Simulator  Black Shark Screenshot 2024.05.15 - 09.55.56.01.png
Screenshot (1613).png

Edited by Tom P

Yeah, he isn’t great with managing his zoom to properly lock onto a vehicle.

I have seen on many occasions that if I am flying along and want him to acquire a target off to my side, he will get close to the target and zoom in, then not have enough “slew” available to get the crosshair over the target and zoom out again, then slew over and get close and zoom in again, then the cycle repeats over and over and can never lock on.

Then there is the problem of him locking with IAT on the bumper of the vehicle and the missile misses the target. If I’m watching him and he is slowly slewing the TADS onto the target, possibly because I am moving in the opposite direction that he is trying to slew, you can sense that as soon as any part of the crosshair is on target he will IAT and then you have to start him over again. I will sometimes jostle the cyclic just before he gets on target in the hopes that it will help him get a better lock.

It would be nice if he understood to aim for the center of mass of the target, especially on an enemy helo where if the aircraft changes direction now the laser might be missing the target entirely.

Or maybe he can establish a lock and then fire, then make an adjustment more toward the center of mass while the missile is in the air.